JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Total box office 24.9m (+9.8%). Minions +50%, Elvis -14%, TGM +8%, JWD -6%, Lightyear +17%, EEAAO +1%. So while not everything managed an increase, all these movies managed some inexplicably outstanding holds. I guess the combination of the teacher strike on Thursday (in NSW), the start of school holidays and the appalling weather had a sizeable effect. JWD also gained a bit on DS2, 3m vs 1.6m fourth weekends.

• Like 2

42.4m earned for the week, Thor Love and Thunder makes 4.48m on OD Wednesday. Apparently its the biggest OD of the year, but I'll be honest, I've got no sense of whether or not it's a good number. If it ends at least around DS2 and The Batman (38m) it should be considered a success. I also don't think this will be indicative of its DOM performance. It will do relatively better here than DOM for several reasons.

Edited by lab276
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Taika boost here that doesn’t exist DOM (though smaller than NZ of course). But performance relative to rag can still give some clue.

was he even famous in Australia before he became big in America though? 

15 hours ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Taika boost here that doesn’t exist DOM (though smaller than NZ of course). But performance relative to rag can still give some clue.

Holidays in AUS. Also Hems boost, filmed in AUS so would be in news very long leading to higher awareness.

On 7/7/2022 at 10:00 PM, Rebeccas said:

was he even famous in Australia before he became big in America though? 

Definitely more well known. In 2010 Boy made $1,602,517 in Australia and $256,211 Domestic. I saw Boy at the cinema.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople made $8,820,444 in Australia and $5,205,468 Domestic.

(Not sure of the accuracy and I assume both figures are USD)

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releasegroup/gr3598144005/

Trends

Thor: Love &Thunder 

D1 - AU$4,483,556

D2 - AU$3,444,609

D3 - AU$3,782,667

D4 - AU$4,624,723

D5 - AU$3,904,698

OW - AU$20,240,253

Dr. Strange: In The Multiverse Of Madness 

D1 - AU$2,693,462

D2 - AU$2,843,743

D3 - AU$3,426,208

D4 - AU$5,053,890

D5 - AU$3,203,232

OW - AU$17,220,535

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

TGM to overtake NWH (for now anyway) for all time #4 over the weekend. Simply astonishing. Is TFA's $94m out of reach? 

I would say so. It's sitting at $79.09m after a 3.9m (school holiday) week. Find it hard to see another $15m.

Utterly incredible run though. Never did I expect a Top Gun movie to crack the all time list and ~$85m. Never.