Olive

Best Animated Feature-2014

Big Hero 6 beating LEGO Movie would be akin to Brave beating Wreck-it Ralph. 

I haven't seen BH6 but comparing the 7.4 critics rating to LEGO's 8.1... LEGO should win the top prize. Of course, Disney's pretty much locked to win Best Animated Feature for 2015 and 2016 (Inside Out, Moana/Finding Dory if it's excellent) 

• Like 1

I think it will be a close race between The Lego Movie and BH6.  BH6 has studio and release date on its side (as well as quality imo).  Lego has originality and a catchy song on its side (as well as quality in most other peoples opinions from what I've read)

I think that the spring release date will do Lego Movie in in the end.  Have any spring movies won a best animated picture oscar?

• Like 2

I can't see Boxtrolls getting nominated. Its reviews were mediocre at best, and even most of the positive reviews said it was the least of Laika's movies. Book of Life probably has a better chance. 

With Lego and HTTYD2 both above 90% and Big Hero 6 almost there, I'd be surprised if they didn't all get nominated. 

• Like 1

Princess Kayuga was nominated in the Annies for film, director and music.  Hopefully that translates over to the Oscars.

http://www.thewrap.com/big-hero-6-lego-movie-how-to-train-your-dragon-nominated-for-top-annie-awards

Best Animated Feature

Big Hero 6, Walt Disney Animation Studios
Cheatin’, Plymptoons Studio
How to Train Your Dragon 2, DreamWorks Animation
Song of the Sea, GKIDS/Cartoon Saloon
The Book of Life, Reel FX
The Boxtrolls, Focus Features/Laika
The LEGO Movie, Warner Bros. Pictures
The Tale of The Princess Kaguya, GKIDS/Studio Ghibli

• Like 1

Right now it seems like there are six movies vying for the five spots:

The Lego Movie

Big Hero 6

How to Train Your Dragon 2

The Book of Life

The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Song of the Sea

The Boxtrolls is probably #7, but it doesn't feel as strong as previous Laika efforts so I don't think it'll be contending.

Which of those six misses the cut? I can't see Lego or BH6 not getting NOMs. They're both strongly regarded and successful, which helps a lot.

Of the remaining four:

HTTYD2 - Very well regarded and following up a previous nomination (so there's some narrative that it might be due). However, despite the worldwide success (well beyond that of Lego) it's a bit of a disappointment domestically, and there's discussion that it's not an improvement over the first.

The Book of Life - A bit of a left-field surprise, but it seems to be pretty warmly regarded, especially the visuals. And has something of an up-and-comer status. Not super successful, though, and I don't know if anyone thinks it's really great.

The Tale of Princess Kaguya - Very well regarded, and it's possibly Takahata's final film. On the other hand, Takahata has never had the regard or success Miyazaki does, and the final film narrative didn't help The Wind Rises.

Song of the Sea - Something of a followup to The Secret of Kells, so like HTTYD2 it has the previous nomination narrative. Very strong regard, too. Business is very slight, though, but in this case I don't know if that matters.

If I was betting, I'd say Book of Life is probably the one that misses a nom, but I could see a case where HTTYD2 is unfortunately slighted.

• Like 1

Rango. The original Shrek came out just two weeks into May (versus the more acclaimed Monsters, Inc. in November). And HTTYD would have won if TS3 hadn't been there.

Shrek was also nominated at the Globes.

On another note, I have noticed more positive comments about Boxtrolls iver the studios last two films.

• Like 1

PGA Nominees 

Outstanding Producer of Animated Theatrical Motion Pictures

"Big Hero 6" (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
Producer: Roy Conli, p.g.a.
"The Book of Life" (20th Century Fox)
Producers: Brad Booker, p.g.a., Guillermo del Toro, p.g.a.
"The Boxtrolls" (Focus Features)
Producers: David Bleiman Ichioka, p.g.a., Travis Knight, p.g.a.
"How To Train Your Dragon 2" (20th Century Fox)
Producer: Bonnie Arnold, p.g.a.
"The LEGO Movie" (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Producer: Dan Lin

HTTYD2 GG win was unexpected. I thought its BO doomed its chances and the only real threats for Lego were BH6 and Kaguya. 

I think Dragon 1 will help Dragon 2 a lot with the voters, seeing Toy Story 3 was up that year and while Dragon was still better than most animated movies released(ever), it still didn't win. Some goodwill remained, I guess.

LEGO was just screwed over by its release date more than anything. It was a big mistake for Warners to dump the movie in February. By the time the voters were deciding who should be nominated, Lego had pretty much already been forgotten.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1