Films

Weekend estimates | Veronica mars- 2M (down 39% on Sat), 300 2-19.1M,LEGO (7.71M), non-stop (10.6M)

Pretty much. Whoever wrote the tweet can suck it. Christ, such outdated and untrue stereotypes.

It's because the media only shows the extremes (because they are what are interesting) for anything and because of that uninformed people will stereotype a mass amount of people into something they're not, and it's not at all exclusive to gamers.The Islamist religion only ever got major coverage after major terrorist attacks, because of that many Americans actually believe all Muslims are violent people of a barbaric religion wanting to slaughter anyone who doesn't think like them. While I'm sure there are some that do think like that, I'm friends with Muslims and know for a fact it's a minority that thinks that way.Then with say WoW, there were reports of a couple of specific cases of fat, greasy men living in their mothers basement naked playing WoW day and night. While there were a few cases of that, it in no way got close to defining the average WoW player, yet the masses believed for some time that if you played WoW you were a no life, creepy man (also see man, because I actually raided with a good number of girls in our guild, they were left out of the stereotype)I could keep listing examples but the point is proven, stereotypes are some of the worst things humans can do and they are one of the sole causes in violence, hatred, disdain, and contempt towards other humans.
  • Like 6

What are Sony execs are going to do with their Gran Turismo project now? 

Well believe it or not, not every single video game movie has bombed, in fact their have been a good number of hits. Sony would have to make a reasonable budget and do reasonable marketing for the film to succeed. 

• Like 2

Well believe it or not, not every single video game movie has bombed, in fact their have been a good number of hits. Sony would have to make a reasonable budget and do reasonable marketing for the film to succeed.

Also, make it good.I don't think it's a coincidence that video game movies tend (I shouldn't even say tend there hasn't been one I thought was even decent yet) to have terrible quality and do bad at the box office.
  • Like 5

Also, make it good.I don't think it's a coincidence that video game movies tend (I shouldn't even say tend there hasn't been one I thought was even decent yet) to have terrible quality and do bad at the box office.

Not even Wreck-it Ralph?

• Like 2

$66 million production budget.  Give to take $50 million for prints and advertising (advert campaign was robust but they're not spending SM3 money on adds).  Let's round up to $120 million in overall costs.  About $240 million gets it even.  Unless Aaron Paul has a larger int'l following than any of us guessed, I don't see it making that in WW boxoffice alone.

• Like 4

$66 million production budget.  Give to take $50 million for prints and advertising (advert campaign was robust but they're not spending SM3 money on adds).  Let's round up to $120 million in overall costs.  About $240 million gets it even.  Unless Aaron Paul has a larger int'l following than any of us guessed, I don't see it making that in WW boxoffice alone.

Me neither. Also because international returns are lower than the ones in the US. and studios generally get between 30 to 35% only.

• Like 4

Yep, that's why I averaged the studio's take at 50%, to make up for the less than 50% they get from overseas boxoffice receipts.  The percentage of every domestic boxoffice dollar the studio receives really starts to come down after the 2nd weekend.  

• Like 3

Question: how much do you think is the average P&A cost, in relation to the budget? 50% or more?

For a wide release minimum is usually $20-25 million. For big blockbusters it can obviously be a lot more.

• Like 2