Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Well, they like to say "NOBODY CARED for the characters or the plot," so even if only you and I did, which we know is BS, their argument is invalidated. :)

So you two are like the Russian Yetis talked about in the other threads,  people that like Avatar do exist :P

I get both sides of the argument but we are getting the extremes in here lately.  Of course people had to like the movie, no matter the reason.  Even if the story is "flimsy" like some say, it still resonated with some people, so the story still worked for them.

Now I am not a fan of the movie, but even I realize, it had to be more than just one factor to it to make that kind of money. 

• Like 1

It's one of those basic tenets of storytelling: if people don't connect to who the story is about, they won't give a shit about WHAT the story is about. If the audience doesn't care about and is not emotionally invested with what happens to the characters, no amount of FX or 3D or buzz or marketing will make them come back for more and more and more.  That's just the way it is, but that goes against the script that AVATAR detractors have memorized, of course: "Avatar was a hit because of the 3D/F/X; nobody cared about the plot or characters; people forgot about the film an hour after watching it; nobody remembers it." 

Ok.

It's one of those basic tenets of storytelling: if people don't connect to who the story is about, they won't give a shit about WHAT the story is about.

and that is how it was for me, which is why I am not the biggest fan of the movie and don't care much about the sequels.

But again, I get that some people were invested, they had to be :P

Are they actually filming this? Seems like it never begins.

Also, Worthington has become an even shittier actor in the time being. If anyone hasn't seen Sabotage, you've done well.

Avatar didn't deserve to make $750m but the sequel is going to make a killing. OS could reach insane levels.

I still don't understand how it all happened. It's not a great movie. 3D is overrated and yet it made $750m...WHY? Weird.

Maybe Cameron has got subliminal messaging in his movies.

He hasn't become a shittier actor he just doesn't have James Cameron directing 

• Like 2

Are they actually filming this? Seems like it never begins.

Also, Worthington has become an even shittier actor in the time being. If anyone hasn't seen Sabotage, you've done well.

Avatar didn't deserve to make $750m but the sequel is going to make a killing. OS could reach insane levels.

I still don't understand how it all happened. It's not a great movie. 3D is overrated and yet it made $750m...WHY? Weird.

Maybe Cameron has got subliminal messaging in his movies.

One of the messages in Avatar is that you have to open your mind if you want to really understand certain things. Jake opened his mind and understood that Navi's weren't a bunch of tree-hugging savages like the corporation told him. Now it's your turn to open your mind and set your own prejudice aside if you want to understand how it all happened.

• Like 4

and that is how it was for me, which is why I am not the biggest fan of the movie and don't care much about the sequels.

But again, I get that some people were invested, they had to be :P

Exactly. The problem with many of the film's detractors is that they personally didn't connect with the plot or the characters, and because of that, which is fine, they try to act as if NOBODY else did. It's like their opinion becomes universal fact. "I didn't care for Jake and Neytiri, therefore, the characaters are cardboard and nobody cared for them."

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 1

One of the messages in Avatar is that you have to open your mind if you want to really understand certain things. Jake opened his mind and understood that Navi's weren't a bunch of tree-hugging savages like the corporation told him. Now it's your turn to open your mind and set your own prejudice aside if you want to understand how it all happened.

Posted Image

That said, the run of the next film will be real interesting. If there are extensive underwater sequences I can see that being a big draw, because like the vacuums of space in Gravity that's where the depth of 3D will actually make a real difference and I'll happily buy a ticket in that format.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

Domestic predictions (based on anecdotal WOM):

Agree with Hatebox, I'd love to see what this underwater environment is like.

BKB-like predictions.

• Like 1

That said, the run of the next film will be real interesting. If there are extensive underwater sequences I can see that being a big draw, because like the vacuums of space in Gravity that's where the depth of 3D will actually make a real difference and I'll happily buy a ticket in that format.

Well I have no guarantee that I will see the sequels (most likely I will though), I do guarantee that I will see them in 2D

• Like 1

Posted Image

Imagine a cornucopia of underwater alien beings and environments, remember the Abyss visuals but in 60FPS ultradefinition on an Imax screen in 3D. That alone warrants the ticket price as a visual experience.

If Cameron manages to capture on screen what it's like to dive into an alien abyss (knowing the guy's passion for diving, I bet he got some tricks on his sleeve to achieve that), he got part of the problem solved as how he can dazzle audience again.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

BKB-like predictions.

I'm assuming that means it's a low estimate.  :)

I think Avatar's success was mostly due to the film being something visually new as well as its expert use of 3D.  It was an experience.  The sequels have neither of those advantages.