Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

All I want is a press release stating production has actually begun. I'm sick of all this "we're working on the foundations of the treatments of the outlines of the storyboards" crap.

Do you believe Avatar 2 is coming out December 2016? I don't.

Edited by lilmac

Your whole post is suggesting that Avatar was a "meh" movie that got lucky ( 3d novelty factors ! shiny colors !) and the whole Avatar didn't left a mark in pop culture yaddih yaddah, I read it approximatively 7586 times on this board :

giphy.gif

Cameron does not get lucky and Avatar had outstanding WOM weither you like it or not. It was considered as a great to fantastic movie by GA. You don't have these kind of holds just because of the 3D novelty. But the 3d played a big part in Avatar s success, I won't deny it either, it made people curious.

Cameron is an amazing storyteller and director that always pushes all the boundaries he can with each movie and the Avatar sequels won't be any different.

With that being said, Avatar 2 is not sure to be a phenomenon but Cameron doesn't make his movies to be phenomenons, he tries each time to make great fucking movies period.

And for the sequels to look amazing, it is important to have 6 or 7 years of advancement in computer power to amp everything up visually.

I was only saying Avatar hasn't held up as well as movies like Jurassic Park, Titanic, Star Wars, etc. It's not the 3D that made it a phenomenon but that the movie came off as an immersive experience people hadn't seen on film before (coating the meh story while in theaters).

Problem with waiting so long for a sequel is nobody is really getting excited about this unless you're Kal. Sure it's going to be big, but after 7 years how big?

Avatar was no doubt a phenomenon in its release (no one questions that) but how well is Avatar going to hold up, and how much are audiences going to be aching to go now that the novelty immersive 3D experience has been worn and torn by many movies following it (it's not something new and special like before). You saw it with JP1 to JP2, and that was with a shorter gap between movies.

It'll come out nearly a decade later (still not as a true brand but as a sequel to an original, the sequel will make it a brand) in a culture that rapidly changes, and an original that isn't holding up in culture as well as something as big as Avatar should have.

Why are we assuming that the underwater scenes are for AVATAR 2?

In any case, the big plan is to shoot the three films at once a la LOTR, HOBBIT. But I really thought the underwater tech for underwater mocap was ready, they have been talking about it for so long and here Letirri seems to say it s not ready at all.

The december 2016 release date seems more and more elusive.

Edited by The Futurist

Avatar trailers were shit. Avatar was pure wom phenom, nothing else.

Again, the best trailer in the world doesn t give you the holds Avatar had all over the world.

Trailers are a moot point for Cameron movies.

The only marketing tool used in a Cameron movie ?

The movie itself and nothing else.

Avatar trailers were shit. Avatar was pure wom phenom, nothing else.

Again, the best trailer in the world doesn t give you the holds Avatar had all over the world.

Trailers are a moot point for Cameron movies.

The only marketing tool used in a Cameron movie ?

The movie itself and nothing else.

What are you talking about? Avatar had a massive, massive marketing campaign. It opened to 70m despite the snowstorms (which helped the second weekend drop) and then WoM.

You couldn't go anywhere without seeing Avatar or hearing about it from what I remember.

• Like 1

Sounds like Cameron is leaning towards 48fps.

120fps is apparently great. Douglas Trumbull's been screening a 2D short film to demonstrate the technology and it's gotten excellent buzz.

As did 48fps / 60fps when Cameron demoed it. Yet in the Hobbit many apparently didn't like it. It's like "wow, looks cool but i don't want it in my movies".

You hit diminishing returns with 120fps. I doubt the difference between it and 60fps is easy to spot and i doubt even more that people that don't like 60fps or 48fps will like 120fps.

It's simple, people like the stuttering, they associate it with cinematic. It's all they ever knew. Only long exposure to new, modern technics will slowly change that, if not this generation, then next, when young, more open people, become adults themselves.

Edited by Elessar