Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Just mind boggling to think no film's WW gross has matched Avatar's OS gross except TFA and TFA barely did that. 

For me it's that only 5 non-Jim films have ever made over HALF of Avatar..then there's the $750m gap between Avatar and TFA

24 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Just mind boggling to think no film's WW gross has matched Avatar's OS gross except TFA and TFA barely did that. 

21 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

For me it's that only 5 non-Jim films have ever made over HALF of Avatar..then there's the $750m gap between Avatar and TFA

Agreed. I think most people don't appreciate just how much Avatar actually made. 

Not sure I even do if I'm honest. $2.8B is a lot to fathom. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, feasby007 said:

Apparently, news from CinemaCon is that The Lion King is contest to TFA domestically and Avatar WW. 

If it does top Avatar, it would likely not hold the record for more than 18 months.

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, feasby007 said:

EmpireCity thinks it has a legit chance at $1b domestic. Add to that that China should go crazy for it ($300m+). As long as the rest of the world follows, it'll do gangbusters. 

I genuinely feel it could do $100m+ in UK too.

I think of all the films coming up until A2, TLK has the strongest chance, it is by all means not guaranteed. Anything more than a billion should be considered a success. But the potential is there.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Lothar said:

That's bad. This is how we treat our greatest movies of all time ?

giphy.gif

greatest movie? Haha you have to be kidding me, it's low tier popcorn flick god only knows how it made so much money. I wonder if James Cameron has ever had an original thought? Blue space cat gully with wolvesahontis is one of the most unoriginal films I've ever seen and It's a crying shame more people went to go see this rather than excellent film-making like The Force Awakens or Avengers, instead somehow a giant TECH demo made more.

Avatar 2 will bomb, everyone's forgotten about it and has had ZERO cultural impact. I don't think I've seen a single Avatar poster in my dorms at the university of reddit. With the 3D gimmick gone this will struggle to make a billion worldwide. Can anybody even name a character from Avatar? I didn't think so, how about a single line? Nah didn't think so.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

greatest movie? Haha you have to be kidding me, it's low tier popcorn flick god only knows how it made so much money. I wonder if James Cameron has ever had an original thought? Blue space cat gully with wolvesahontis is one of the most unoriginal films I've ever seen. It's a crying shame more people went to go see this rather than excellent film-making like The Force Awakens or Avengers, instead somehow a giant TECH demo made more.

Avatar 2 will bomb, everyone's forgotten about it and he has ZERO cultural impact. I don't think I've seen a single Avatar poster in my dorms at the university of reddit. With the 3D gimmick gone this will struggle to make a billion worldwide. Can anybody even name a character from Avatar? I didn't think so, how about a single line? Nah didn't think so.

I see you've finally come to your senses :redcapes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

NVM. Iron Jimbo got this covered.

Iron Jim dropping the mic like a boss. Really appreciate what he says about science-fiction and human drama. The man is a technology scholar AND a dramatist that understands the mechanism of human characters empathy/sympathy in storytelling. That's a potent mix.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

You'll be telling us how great IW was next. 

@JamesCameronScholar Do you think movies like IW are made to compete with Avatar with 32 superstars and comic history ?

Marvel is in rush to tell the entire plot in 2 movies. I can go on and tell how it's useless for Marvel's Infinity War to think about competing Avatar. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lothar said:

@JamesCameronScholar Do you think movies like IW are made to compete with Avatar with 32 superstars and comic history ?

Marvel is in rush to tell the entire plot in 2 movies. I can go on and tell how it's useless for Marvel's Infinity War to think about competing Avatar. 

I think they'd like to think they're competing, but I agree, they have no chance. 

It's like a toddler trying to box Mike Tyson. 

Fresh New York Times article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/arts/television/james-cameron-amc-series-avatar-terminator.html

Q:You are developing four “Avatar” sequels at the same time, which seems like an enormous undertaking. Why did you take that approach, and how has it gone so far?

It’s been great. We basically went down and developed a pathway for the technology that would be amortized across four movies. And in parallel with that, I wrote the four scripts. And in parallel with that writing and pipeline development process, we also designed all four films.

We finitely designed movie two and three meaning every single set, every object, every prop, every setting, every creature, every blade of grass. We’ve broadly designed movies four and five, meaning all the main characters and main settings. So we’re actually in really good shape. The entire universe is well in focus for us and now we’re just grinding through the actual production process. [We just had] our 100th day of performance capture out of a 175-day schedule. That’s two movies combined.

so performance capture is just under 60% done at this point, there's probably some live action to be done also (I assume) 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/arts/television/james-cameron-amc-series-avatar-terminator.html

Q:You are developing four “Avatar” sequels at the same time, which seems like an enormous undertaking. Why did you take that approach, and how has it gone so far?

It’s been great. We basically went down and developed a pathway for the technology that would be amortized across four movies. And in parallel with that, I wrote the four scripts. And in parallel with that writing and pipeline development process, we also designed all four films.

We finitely designed movie two and three meaning every single set, every object, every prop, every setting, every creature, every blade of grass. We’ve broadly designed movies four and five, meaning all the main characters and main settings. So we’re actually in really good shape. The entire universe is well in focus for us and now we’re just grinding through the actual production process. [We just had] our 100th day of performance capture out of a 175-day schedule. That’s two movies combined.

so performance capture is just under 60% done at this point, there's probably some live action to be done also (I assume) 

Great to see everything is chugging along. Can't wait to see the first images come out. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

Love that he says he's got no personal life now. He's in terminator mode again.

• Like 1

New interview where Jimbo hypes Avatar

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/opinion/2018/04/26/james-cameron-had-to-wait-for-science-to-catch-up-to-his-sci-fi-ambitions.html

Read all of this one to be honest guys Jim is hyping the shit out of the Avatar sequels

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 5

James Cameron seems to be firing on all cylinders, visuals and story-wise. He could have left things closed at Avatar but he seems adamant to craft his Dune through the world of Pandora. Can't fault the man taking his time to fulfill his ambition to the fullest so he can leave a indelible print and legacy in the realm of science-fiction.

Off-topic, not to fan the flame again but I rewatched True Lies yesterday (holds up like a charm) but it dawned on me that infamous "Marvel formula" kinda owed it to True Lies, pop-corn blockbuster entertainment featuring bigger than life action while the characters are cracking down-to-earth and self-deprecating jokes in a "life and tribulations of a real life superhero" manner.(Charlton Heston's character looks like being modeled after Nick Fury). Tom Arnold is still waiting for JC's call for a sequel which would have been made already in this franchise driven era.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2