Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

14 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It's pretty similar in the UK, only big franchise films with hysterical fanbases do people ever clap and cheer in Cinema. That is also only on the first weekend by the way.

Thankfully I've managed to avoid it my entire life but we'll see, the UK gets more and more Americanised.

Oh im also very happy that our moviegoing culture doesnt (normally) include sheers and clapping. Ive seen some clips on YouTube of American cinemas (MCU movies) where they clap and sheer and seemingly wet their pants every time a character does or says something to the point where you cant actually hear the movie anymore but only the screams and the clapping.

God, i would HATE that 😅 no offense to any americans ofc, but this would literally ruin my movie experience in the theater.

16 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Oh im also very happy that our moviegoing culture doesnt (normally) include sheers and clapping. Ive seen some clips on YouTube of American cinemas (MCU movies) where they clap and sheer and seemingly wet their pants every time a character does or says something to the point where you cant actually hear the movie anymore but only the screams and the clapping.

God, i would HATE that 😅 no offense to any americans ofc, but this would literally ruin my movie experience in the theater.

Y'all need to watch a big Telugu blockbuster opening night, that'll show you that the Americans are behind the curve

4 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Considering the movie had very strong reactions not just from the audience (the film had an A/A+ cinemascore just about everywhere lol) but also from critics (where it had very strong reviews and even got nominated for BP in a time where that was starting to become increasingly harder for blockbusters), I'd say there was (and is) a little more to it than just people liking the visuals.

Hate to be that guy, but it was nominated for BP the same year they expanded to 10 nominees.  

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Hate to be that guy, but it was nominated for BP the same year they expanded to 10 nominees.  

Avatar was Top 2 movie. It would have made the cut with 5 nominees cause it hit Picture+Director+Editing. The Director and Picture race was between Avatar/Cameron and The Hurt Locker/Bigelow. That's Top 2. Therefore number of nominees was irrelevant.

• Like 5

If your crowd is silent the entire movie then you might as well watch the movie at home.

Hearing your fellow nerds cheer during crowd pleasing moments is one of the reasons to go to the movies.

It's a communal experience. 

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 2

4 hours ago, JustLurking said:

This seems way too anedoctal. You don't simply walk into being the highest grossing film by lack of competition, hell in a ton of markets especially in Europe that's a title it still holds to this day (and living in a country where this is the case, yeah, the movie still seems beloved to me).

Considering the movie had very strong reactions not just from the audience (the film had an A/A+ cinemascore just about everywhere lol) but also from critics (where it had very strong reviews and even got nominated for BP in a time where that was starting to become increasingly harder for blockbusters), I'd say there was (and is) a little more to it than just people liking the visuals.

It might be anecdotal, but do you really believe that Avatar would be #1 in Germany if not for 3D?

Since there are no polls (I guess, didn't bother to look tbh) WHY people went so often into the movie, I can obviously only tell you from my experience, and I went in only because it "looked cool" (not entirely true, would have seen it most likely anyway, but my friends hammered me with "the 3D looks insane, you have to see it...) and even my gf at the time who I don't think had ever seen a movie twice in their life up till that point wanted to see the 3D again.

And yes, the movie had no "competition". How do you define competition? Mostly same genre I guess. You will always have influence from other films, but genre specific is obviously the biggest problem. No horror lover will think "I would like to watch that really great horror movie, but Toy Story 5 came out, so I can't" (exaggeration).

Avatar just had no "competition" in it's biggest draw and that was "looking good". Because it was ahead of its time in that regard.

If you wanna see the insane legs in Germany:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl1983088129/weekend/

The movie still pulled a lot into March and a lot of that were people that wanted to see it again before it left theaters. (I know anecdotal again)

Reaction to the trailer was pretty silent in my screening yesterday btw. I heard one person asking if Avatar will be shown in theaters again and the person besides telling him that this is Avatar 2. Followed by an "oh ok".

I know this was only a teaser and in my original post I said I need to wait for more trailers. But yesterday I was not impressed. I will watch it regardless. A lot will. This will have a big OW surely. But (for now!!) I don't think legs will differ from other movies.

14 hours ago, MultiverseXXR said:

Link?

12 hours ago, Reddroast said:

Can I get a link?

The video was on Youtube for a very short period of time before it got pulled down (it showed most of the teaser along some crowd reactions). 

24 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

If your crowd is silent the entire movie then you might as well watch the movie at home.

Hearing your fellow nerds cheer during crowd pleasing moments is one of the reasons to go to the movies.

It's a communal experience. 

The Cinema is for the best Visual and Audio experience. Ideally it would have 1 person in. Me.

However sadly I have to put up with others because I don't have the £50k to build a home cinema, or the rights to play movies when they're first released.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

For me personnally, ive always argued that the reception of the first teaser/trailer for this movie will be the best first indicator on how well it will do at the box office. Without any footage to judge the movies reception on, its just a guessing game for everyone.

So when more reactions come in, the picture imo will become a bit clearer on how massive this will be. Gonna look out for my crowds reactions when i see Doctor Strange on Sunday.

It's still gonna be a guessing game even after the teaser is released. Doesn't sound like it gives away much of the story and it's only 97 seconds. 

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

It's pretty similar in the UK, only big franchise films with hysterical fanbases do people ever clap and cheer in Cinema. That is also only on the first weekend by the way.

Thankfully I've managed to avoid it my entire life but we'll see, the UK gets more and more Americanised.

In Canada trailers/teasers usually get the silent treatment even in a near full house, any kind of buzz/clapping/chatter you know something's up.  

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

9 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Think this was the theater reaction vid some were asking for

Think some people forget how big of a deal avatar was in europe, I know exchange rates and such, but it almost tripled endgame in some important markets and is remembered very fondly if you go looking at the regional imdb-variants

This isn't the clip I saw yesterday, the one that was posted on Youtube was from a similar angle but much better quality and longer , it started with the Dolby 7.1 demo and ran into the very beginning of Doc Strange. 

16 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Mark's Equation for Avatar 2

8M x €12.50 = €100M

For more details, click on this link

Compare that to Avatar's 10.9m admissions in Germany (first run) at an ATP of €10.11 for an €110.1m total.

It's by no means an outlandish prediction. The average ticket price looks about right, but I'd personally have it selling a few more tickets — I'm looking at The Force Awakens for a comparison, which managed to sell 9.06m tickets in 2015.

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I remember when I first moved to the UK and started clapping after a showing of Matilda. People thought I was insane (I mean they weren't wrong but not for that reason).

• Haha 3

For a movie focus so much on water, the teaser showcase little water scenes. The team is still, very likely in the middle of post-production stage so I bet the VFX in the final product can be even more impressive.     

1 hour ago, Inuyaki said:

It might be anecdotal, but do you really believe that Avatar would be #1 in Germany if not for 3D?

I wish I had a buck for every counterfactual that people used against Avatar. I'd probably have 0.1A at this point.

34 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

For a movie focus so much on water, the teaser showcase little water scenes. The team is still, very likely in the middle of post-production stage so I bet the VFX in the final product can be even more impressive.     

Weta are still hiring VFX artists on LinkedIn for work on Avatar 2 so you know they are.