Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

10 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Really? I think it's more mixed than you realize. I mean some pretty popular comedy YouTubers have been memeing on it for a while.

You realise YouTube is online culture right? You're literally not refuting the point but actively adding to it being true.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Really? I think it's more mixed than you realize. I mean some pretty popular comedy YouTubers have been memeing on it for a while.

Not the comedy YouTubers!

(The internet is a bubble, and "comedy YouTubers" are pretty much completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Not the comedy YouTubers!

(The internet is a bubble, and "comedy YouTubers" are pretty much completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.)

The point I'm trying to make is that people with large reaches that can influence people. 4.74 million is a lot of people.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Reddroast said:

The point I'm trying to make is that people with large reaches that can influence people. 4.74 million is a lot of people.

yeahhhhh. my mum, dad, aunty, grandpa, gran their cousins, brothers and sisters ain't ever watching that.

This is my point about the echo chamber we're in, we don't even realise we're in it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reddroast said:

Avatar 2 will sell hundreds of millions of tickets, and YouTube subscriber numbers are not representative of actual viewership — they're massively bloated by alts, bots, and old and inactive accounts. I don't know who this "comedy YouTuber" is, but active viewership for large channels is typically 1/10th of the subscriber count or less.

So even if we assume that every single active viewer of this unnamed comedy YouTuber would otherwise be going to see Avatar 2 — which they wouldn't be — and that this YouTuber will manage to convince every single one of them not to see it — which he won't — then it wouldn't even make a dent in Avatar 2's ticket sales. It'd be a tiny percentage of a percentage point.

I'll repeat again: the internet circles that you frequent — that any of us frequent — are a bubble.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Jacksfilms' attachment to the narrative that "no one can name a character in Avatar", and kept making videos bashing it, is actually one of the curious examples of the "Avatar is irrelevant" phenomenon, which is really becoming a beast in itself. Many people so passionately insist that "Avatar has no impact" as if their livelihood depend on it. I'm pretty sure this has never happened to another "irrelevant" films before. 

But when Avatar tripled the former highest grossing films in China back in 2010, as it did in many developing markets; people were  leaving the theatres in awe not because any "influencers" told them to react that way, it's their genuine reaction that lead to the amazing WOM it had that ultimately contributed to its success, I think it would be the same this time. If the visceral reaction is that strong, and I think we have reason to believe that it will, then words of a few YouTube "influencers" wouldn't matter at all.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

yeahhhhh. my mum, dad, aunty, grandpa, gran their cousins, brothers and sisters ain't ever watching that.

This is my point about the echo chamber we're in, we don't even realise we're in it.

It's not that I don't think the film will be successful. I'm looking at what people like John Campea are saying and while they are loading praise on to the footage they are saying they are feel like it won't top the 1st. the 4-10 billion you and JCS are predicting is complete insanity.

I understand that there are avatar fans here who are only here for it and who want it to do amazing at the box office. I get that. But what happens if it doesn't top the 1st? What will your reaction be then? Based on what I've seen from you and jcs on this thread not good

The last straw for me was when you and jcs claimed that people were blind for not noticing the visual upgrades from the new teaser. As someone is disabled that's low. (I have cerebral palsy btw just in case someone here claims I'm lying) 

@Eric loves Rey if you ban me that's fine.  I needed to get this off my chest.

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

17 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Avatar 2 will sell hundreds of millions of tickets, and YouTube subscriber numbers are not representative of actual viewership — they're massively bloated by alts, bots, and old and inactive accounts. I don't know who this "comedy YouTuber" is, but active viewership for large channels is typically 1/10th of the subscriber count or less.

So even if we assume that every single active viewer of this unnamed comedy YouTuber would otherwise be going to see Avatar 2 — which they wouldn't be — and that this YouTuber will manage to convince every single one of them not to see it — which he won't — then it wouldn't even make a dent in Avatar 2's ticket sales. It'd be a tiny percentage of a percentage point.

I'll repeat again: the internet circles that you frequent — that any of us frequent — are a bubble.

And so are comment sections everywhere else

25 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Not when majority of subscribers don't really watch all the content.

Look, YouTube is a bunch of bubbles, you don't see Captain Marvel failing because hundred of videos attacking the movie and Brie Larson was made. And i'm sure you won't see Avatar failing because some people with their bubble (yes, 5M is a bubble even if everyone watch it which is not the case) make some jokes. People joke about Avatar since 2009, it's not a big deal, it didn't prevent the first one of being a success and sure won't happen now. 

If the movie fail, it will be for other reasons.

• Like 1

Look, i'm not entering this bullshit personally because honestly, this whole thread is excessive (maybe it's what happened when a movie needs a decade to be release). 

But still, just like some members go hard with their predictions and defensive mode, other members go just as hard trying to proof how wrong everyone is for having big expectations. 

That's fair, equal rights. But you can't complain about other people actions if you keep here arguing against them and basically doing the same thing. This never really goes anywhere, if someone dislike how these discussions happen, then simply don't enter them. Keep quoting people saying they're wrong and then complaining because they're answer is pure nonsense.

• Like 6

Moderation 

Yeah, we’re ending this cultural impact argument. It’s clear we’re going in circles, so let’s just finish all this. I also suggest, once again, you all put each other on your Ignore list. It’s not a hard task and there’s nothing wrong with not responding to a poster

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

It's not that I don't think the film will be successful. I'm looking at what people like John Campea are saying and while they are loading praise on to the footage they are saying they are feel like it won't top the 1st. the 4-10 billion you and JCS are predicting is complete insanity.

I understand that there are avatar fans here who are only here for it and who want it to do amazing at the box office. I get that. But what happens if it doesn't top the 1st? What will your reaction be then? Based on what I've seen from you and jcs on this thread not good

The last straw for me was when you and jcs claimed that people were blind for not noticing the visual upgrades from the new teaser. As someone is disabled that's low. (I have cerebral palsy btw just in case someone here claims I'm lying) 

@Eric loves Rey if you ban me that's fine.  I needed to get this off my chest.

Well first off, yeah claiming people who can't see the difference between Avatar 1&2 have bad vision was in poor taste for sure. Sorry for that.

With box office though, there's nothing insane about the 4 billies I'm claming. It's really rational from my point of view. If you go back to just before Avatar or Titanic was released, how do you think $1.8b or $2.78b would have looked back then? When Avatar was released the highest grossing non-Jim film was ROTK with $1.14b, Avatar came in and with a HOT 2.8 billies. No one saw it coming.

The thing about Avatar 2 is, it's going to capture the exact same thing that made Avatar so popular. Why wouldn't it. I would argue an easy 4 billies is far far less 'insane' than predicting $2.78b for Avatar on the 1st of Dec 2009.

• Like 2

Ill say this: I would love to see this breaking out in the same manner as the first one did. Not only because such Box office runs are amazing to follow, but also because that is exactly what theaters would want and need.

• Like 2