Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Coming from the person triggered by the phrase 'billies', you've been on the anti-Avatar train for years. Don't let hate cloud your view of the world. 

Uh huh. You're welcome to have your perceptions of me, I know where I fall on the spectrum for this movie, don't feel the need to go on the attack about any of it

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

you tube trailer passing 10m after 20 hours, Not sure if this is excellent. 

I believe the official trailer will be released somewhere during AVATAR1 re-release or some extended preview before the avatar 1 showing. 

WoM is the true measure here. I wonder if the trailer views will be a slow burn too. 

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I believe the official trailer will be released somewhere during AVATAR1 re-release or some extended preview before the avatar 1 showing. 

Overall trailer views on YouTube are well over 30m at this point — the ones I'm tracking total 29.7m.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

Uh huh. You're welcome to have your perceptions of me, I know where I fall on the spectrum for this movie, don't feel the need to go on the attack about any of it

Not attacking anyone. Just saying that for someone who has been documented as saying in the past that the mere 'phrase' billies causes a reaction within you, it makes me think that your capacity for an objective view on matters relating to Avatar has probably been tainted. 

I know a lot of you think I'm the one out here being in 'attack' mode, but I think I'm a small fish in a big pond. There are entire discord channels dedicated to laughing at your telegram group - I'd be more concerned with those people than me defending Avatar from what I feel are unreasonable criticisms. 

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Not attacking anyone. Just saying that for someone who has been documented as saying in the past that the mere 'phrase' billies causes a reaction within you, it makes me think that your capacity for an objective view on matters relating to Avatar has probably been tainted. 

I know a lot of you think I'm the one out here being in 'attack' mode, but I think I'm a small fish in a big pond. There are entire discord channels dedicated to laughing at your telegram group - I'd be more concerned with those people than me defending Avatar from what I feel are unreasonable criticisms. 

I've bought 4 copies of Avatar over the years, saw it 11 times in cinemas on original release and at no point have I ever said its a bad movie. You and your cronies are what put me off, not the movie. 

• Haha 1

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

I've bought 4 copies of Avatar over the years, saw it 11 times in cinemas on original release and at no point have I ever said its a bad movie. You and your cronies are what put me off, not the movie. 

“The chief task in life is simply this: to identify and separate matters so that I can say clearly to myself which are externals not under my control, and which have to do with the choices I actually control. Where then do I look for good and evil? Not to uncontrollable externals, but within myself to the choices that are my own…” — Epictetus, Discourses, 2.5.4–5

Place the blame on others all you like. It is you who is responsible for your own reaction to the world. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Counting dubbed versions of the trailer, about 27 M ish total views on youtube so far. I think it's great.

10M+ views on facebook on the main video.

15M+ views on twitter on the main video.

So a minimum of about 52M+ views without counting China which I am sure is going crazy.

I honestly think it's amazing for a trailer revealing so little and already being leaked countless times along with being released with DS. Plus it literally just randomly came out.

Reaction channels roughly have 60% of the views Love and thunder's teaser had in the same timespan which I think is phenomenal considering the built in fanbase of the MCU which views every reaction video. I get that reaction channel views are probably a useless metric but the fact that it's already doing decently well against juggernauts like love and thunder makes me think that there's already excitement to see it opening weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, iamawesome said:

Counting dubbed versions of the trailer, about 27 M ish total views on youtube so far. I think it's great.

10M+ views on facebook on the main video.

15M+ views on twitter on the main video.

So a minimum of about 52M+ views without counting China which I am sure is going crazy.

I honestly think it's amazing for a trailer revealing so little and already being leaked countless times along with being released with DS. Plus it literally just randomly came out.

Reaction channels roughly have 60% of the views Love and thunder's teaser had in the same timespan which I think is phenomenal considering the built in fanbase of the MCU which views every reaction video. I get that reaction channel views are probably a useless metric but the fact that it's already doing decently well against juggernauts like love and thunder makes me think that there's already excitement to see it opening weekend.

How do these numbers compare to the original's YT views? @IronJimbo can you run the numbers and use the multi on the box office numbers? 

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

This is one of the saddest things I have ever read on these forums.

• Haha 12

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

How do these numbers compare to the original's YT views? @IronJimbo can you run the numbers and use the multi on the box office numbers? 

can't be bothered doing hat because I don't think it matters in the first place

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Astonished 1

14 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

My mom is not a movie person in the slightest, let alone a sci fi person and she was sending me the trailer on Facebook excited for it, she remembers the original fondly. I feel like a lot of the general public who aren't vocal online about movies are probably similar.

My sister and the rest of the family had no clue, they are now "aware" and can't wait to see it. 

We have to remember that movie fans online who discuss the minutiae of every release are a tiny % of the viewing public that is out there craving escapism, Avatar will provide that escape in December. If I was Shazam I would think twice about opening the following week, it will get buried by the BUZZ.

That short clip once again demonstrated the magic of transporting the viewer to another world and who doesn't want to get off this rock if only for 2.5 hours with everything this is going on right now, book my trip NOW!!! and do it multiple times. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

This is one of the saddest things I have ever read on these forums.

It goes beyond sad I'd say. I thought the telegram chat itself was kind of morose to begin with, but the discord channels that popped up after the purges are just a level beyond it. I think a lot of the people banned set it up - The Futurist? I don't know enough of the 'old guard' to comment, but the conspiracies around tele grooming members and some sort of pro-democratic cabal are literally tinfoil hat tier. 

7 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

My sister and the rest of the family had no clue, they are now "aware" and can't wait to see it. 

We have to remember that movie fans online who discuss the minutiae of every release are a tiny % of the viewing public that is out there craving escapism, Avatar will provide that escape in December. If I was Shazam I would think twice about opening the following week, it will get buried by the BUZZ.

That short clip once again demonstrated the magic of transporting the viewer to another world and who doesn't want to get off this rock if only for 2.5 hours with everything this is going on right now, book my trip NOW!!! and do it multiple times. 

I think Shazam is going in knowing full well that it's trying to be the Jumanji style second choice rather than the top dog

8 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I think Shazam is going in knowing full well that it's trying to be the Jumanji style second choice rather than the top dog

alvin and the chipmunks and sherlock holmes both did pretty well when avatar came out too, I don't see why shazam cannot be a decent success

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

You're probably right, it grossed $366 million the first time around, the response was good, by default it should be able to exceed that amount. I won't be one of them. 

I think Shazam and Puss will be good counterprogramming for Avatar 2, as while I expect it to be the top dog both are accessible enough to act as the Jumanji/TGS or Chipmunks/Holmes. Shazam could do 200m and Puss could go in the mid 100m range.

• Like 2

23 Hours later....

Avatar Official Twitter account: 16.1 million views

Avatar Official Youtube account: 10 million #2 on trending - if you added all of the other accounts showing the teaser it would easily be #1 

I think it was a deliberate move that 20th Century Studios main account with 4.43M subscribers hasn't posted the teaser yet, I think they wanted to drive traffic thru the official Avatar channels first to increase subscriber growth. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hw64 said:

At 24 hours:

Twitter: 16.5m views on the main video

YouTube: 33.9m views across the 60+ reposts I've tracked, including 10.7m on the main channel. Overall views will be 35m+.

How does it compare to L&T on a site-by-site basis?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator