Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Anyone else suddenly got a really good feeling... I was getting a little bit shaky on my opening weekend predictions and went down to $190m OW, but i'm feeling the energy and I think the next month is gonna be HUGE for marketing, plus IGER being back too, I feel like Disney is going to be fully on-board for splashing cash on adverts.

I think over $200m OW is possible. (obviously a billie will be in the bag regardless of OW as the film will be LOVED)

The roll out is a mess. Regal tickets are already available to zero fanfare. No idea when tickets everywhere else are going live and the final trailer doesn't drop until like 9pm est. On top of all that, Avatar 1 comes back to Disney+ but it's not the remaster. I've given grace to the marketing in the past but even stuff that should be a layup has proven to be difficult.

Edited by ImNotExcited

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Anyone else suddenly got a really good feeling... I was getting a little bit shaky on my opening weekend predictions and went down to $190m OW, but i'm feeling the energy and I think the next month is gonna be HUGE for marketing, plus IGER being back too, I feel like Disney is going to be fully on-board for splashing cash on adverts.

I think over $200m OW is possible. (obviously a billie will be in the bag regardless of OW as the film will be LOVED)

After all this time, you of all people can’t waver now! Pump up those numbers! 

Leonardo Dicaprio Friends GIF

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Come on lads, lets not go through this again

people keep taking digs man, mods do nothing

IN OTHER NEWS

https://www.gq.com/story/james-cameron-profile-men-of-the-year-2022?utm_medium=social&utm_brand=gq&utm_source=twitter&mbid=social_twitter&utm_social-type=owned

biiiiiiiiiiiiiig Jim article

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

People make digs, you don't have to rise to them though

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

This article is so good I heavily recommend. Some big box office insights in it too about profitability.

“I like difficult,” he told me. “I’m attracted by difficult. Difficult is a fucking magnet for me. I go straight to difficult. And I think it probably goes back to this idea that there are lots of smart, really gifted, really talented filmmakers out there that just can’t do the difficult stuff. So that gives me a tactical edge to do something nobody else has ever seen, because the really gifted people don’t fucking want to do it.”

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

The Way of Water was expensive to make—How expensive? “Very fucking,” according to Cameron, who told me he’d informed the studio that the film represented “the worst business case in movie history.” In order to be profitable, he’d said, “you have to be the third or fourth highest-grossing film in history. That’s your threshold. That’s your break even.” (from the GQ article on Cameron)

I remember the days when Cameron's mission for the Avatar sequels was to make them cheaper and quicker than the original. Seems like that… didn't happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

lol love some of Cameron's answers. he is such a tease... :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

“It’s not animation in a Pixar sense where they’re just making stuff up,” Cameron told me. “The actors already defined what they did, but it has to be translated from the captured data to the 3D-CG character. And there’s all sorts of AI steps in there.”

I asked if he knew of anyone else working this way.

Cameron laughed. “They’d be insane to even try to,” he said. “And I don’t mean that we’re special. I mean like, if we hadn’t made more money than any other movie in history, this is the last fucking thing I’d want to be doing.”

• Like 1