Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

41 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Yes, Leo was young and attractive, but here's plenty of those in HW. The reason for his legion of fans after Titanic was the story. That reasonated with a lot of women. Jake's story was not that interesting or culturally impactful to transform Worthington into a HW sensation. Sure, Worthington was not cute/ attractive like Leo, but he's not ugly in any shape or form.

Yeah you're probably right here actually, but again, it's both. Leo had a lot of fans prior to Titanic, too, and I think you can attribute his post-Titanic rise to stardom just as much to his real-life attributes (young, attractive, charismatic) and simply being the co-lead in the biggest movie of all time as you can to the objective merits of Titanic as a movie like the writing behind Jack or the script, but they're both intertwined anyway so you can't really pick them apart.

In any case, I don't think the rise to stardom of any particular actor or actress in a movie necessarily speaks to the objective merits of that movie; there have been plenty of shit movies that people have shot to stardom off of.

Edited by hw64
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dragoncaine said:

It's a joke. watching as intended ALWAYS posts the hyperbolic tweet along with "A fitting end setting up what's next" anytime any social media embargo drops for a big movie.

I got trolled then

I will now proceed to commit sudoku 

6 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Couple of cinemas in Leicester Square are closed on Tuesday, Is this having a London premiere then? Can't think of anything else that would be doing it now.

yup, they're doing a little world tour of premiers.

Starting with London Leicester Square on the 6th.

Japan on the 10th I think? and a few others

12 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

yup, they're doing a little world tour of premiers.

Starting with London Leicester Square on the 6th.

Japan on the 10th I think? and a few others

OK cool, looks like they're using both Odeon's that day, though for some reason West End Odeon is closed from tomorrow through Wednesday so it might be for something else. 

Would ideally have my ticket already but I want to see this in the best format possible (thinking of trying 4DX for the first time, but likely IMAX) but there's no way I'm paying what they want for such a ticket so I'm waiting until I have enough Scene points to get my ticket with those. A couple Tuesday movies, a popcorn combo and some shopping at Safeway should do the trick!

Looking forward to it. Not only to the film itself and those gorgeous visuals, but the vibe at the theatre should be pretty great. Lots of chatter on the movie now.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

So what country get the premieres now? London, Japan and??? 

i would have said them if I remembered 😂 London on the 6th is 100%

29 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

OK cool, looks like they're using both Odeon's that day, though for some reason West End Odeon is closed from tomorrow through Wednesday so it might be for something else. 

i'm sure they'll be showing it on odean luxe screen 1 if that helps, it's where they showed Alita

34 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

i'm sure they'll be showing it on odean luxe screen 1 if that helps, it's where they showed Alita

Oh I know, they've got the big main OLS screen and then the smaller Dolby screen around the corner at Odeon West End (I kinda like that one a little more? It's not much smaller but fills the room better if that makes sense) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Maggie said:

I think he's wrong. Worthington's character was not beloved like say, Leo in Titanic. Proof, he has no legion of fans like leo who exploded in Hollywood. And Titanic was only one movie.

They are not comparable at all. Titanic was a romance at heart and Leo's character was young, cute and had the sole purpose of winning over a poorly treated love interest only to eventually die saving the womans life. That shit is like catnip for women. Avatar on the other hand was a sci fi action movie at heart, Jake Sully was hardly sexualised, he didn't have working legs and spent 80% of the movie as a blue CGI alien and people wonder why teenagers didnt fall in love with him in the same way? 

Simply put, sex sells. People remember characters they are attracted to but that doesn't mean your film has no cultural impact if you are missing that character. Megan fox's character in Transformers is more remembered than Neytiri because she was every young guys wet dream but I wouldn't say that film had more of a cultural impact than Avatar

Sully is more comparable to Cobb in Inception, a character of similar age in yet another ground breaking sci fi action movie who hardly anyone to this day remembers a single characters name in it

Edited by SullyJake

6 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

i would have said them if I remembered 😂 London on the 6th is 100%

I think aside from TGM, none of the blockbuster since pandemic have done this level of world tour premiere, I wish A2 can have more world tour premiere, covering different country like India. 

2 hours ago, Grebacio said:

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-box-office-forecast-avatar-the-way-of-water-tracking-climbs-as-pre-sales-reinforce-expectation-for-a-marathon-run/

12/16/2022 Avatar: The Way of Water $150,000,000 – $180,000,000 +13% $526,000,000 – $741,000,000 +13% Disney / 20th Century Studios

I like the fact that these numbers are trending "UP" that's very encouraging. If the actuals land on the high side I think it will easily guarantee the green light to finish Avatar IV and to start production on V. 

A $740 million domestic number on a 35/65 split would equal $2.1 Billion + China. I think that would do the job. 

I notice that the actor who plays Loak, the child who from the trailers and posters is given the most space as if he has among the most important parts in this second film, never really promotes the film.
I wonder why.

Edited by omark

On 11/25/2022 at 1:21 PM, Reddroast said:

The best way to see it is on the shrek tv.

Getting mine soon off Fandango my pandora family. 

But I'll probably go second week not sure. Ny will be so crowded. Get this Ncsoft, Jimbo, Elessar , Stuart and everyone.

Imax laser 3d 30.00 a ticket on one of the worlds largest imax.

Avatar 4dx. The format I'm choosing. 34-35.00

Wow.  This is going to get a killing from the Apple alone