Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

41 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

To be fair my prediction has been over 3 billies WW - China forever. I think people will be joining me on an avatar high in about 4 hours from now.

What I said earlier will be the reactions
"Better than the first"
"breathtaking (literally!)"
"i can't believe cameron has done it again"
"you have to see this movie"
"it had me in tears"

“Three hours flew by”

• Like 1

The saviour has spoken…

From the stage inside the Odeon West End, Cameron said: “Thanks for coming. I don’t know about you, this is a pretty surreal moment for me that we are done with the film. Five years of production and five years spanning a really dark period. The pandemic hit, we were shut down completely. I was despairing this art form I love that I dedicated four decades to was over. We finally got back to work but we didn’t know if there would be movie theaters. Was it over? But here we are.

“Theaters are full again and moviegoers of the world have declared resoundingly that we need this. We need this ability to gather together to sit in these great dark spaces and to dream together with our eyes wide open in a cinema. To me tonight is not about a new Avatar film. It’s about cinema, and here you are in your black-tie finery. It’s a celebration of this art form that we love so much. It’s back it’s alive and it’s as great as it’s ever been.”

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Elessar said:

You sure that it would require a better-than-Avatar performance? I mean, Avatar was not that far off $3b in 2009 when movies on average made a lot less than they make now due to various factors (of course we hit a roadblock due to covid the last two years but we are at the tail end of the pandemic now).

Yep — the exchange rates are that poor right now, such that they pretty much entirely cancel out ticketprice inflation and market expansion. $1.8b overseas-minus-China would be roughly an Avatar-level performance adjusted up for today's ticket prices, exchange rates and market sizes. Add that to an Avatar-equivalent (in ticket sales) $1.05b domestic, and you still don't get to $3b worldwide outside of China.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, hw64 said:

Yep — the exchange rates are that poor right now, such that they pretty much entirely cancel out ticketprice inflation and market expansion. $1.8b overseas-minus-China would be roughly an Avatar-level performance adjusted up for today's ticket prices, exchange rates and market sizes. Add that to an Avatar-equivalent (in ticket sales) $1.05b domestic, and you still don't get to $3b worldwide outside of China.

just making sure, whats your current w-china predict?

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Lol, updated estimate

so it seems the 3rd highest grossing of all time was a comment from 2012 or so

meaning all the "genuises" who thought he was talking about domestic are probably wrong