Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

25 minutes ago, danziger said:

That guys wins for the most negative reaction I've seen. He's so mad he can't even accept that anyone else liked it. RT-approved critic.

He’s obviously entitled to his opinion, but the fact that he started the tweet off with “the critics who like this movie are dumb” suggests he’s trying to get under people’s skin. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I feel like 2nd wave review is as strong as the first wave. How can this lean towards low 80 or even 70+ ?

Because twitter reactions are not necessarily representative of overall critical reception. In particular, critics with less favourable impressions of a film may be less inclined to tweet about it compared to critics with positive views. This is why "reading the tea leaves" of twitter reactions to predict RT scores (at least precisely) can be a bit of a crapshoot - as we have seen historically.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ

The point Joshua Axelrod made in his first tweet about nothing feeling tactile, like it's all a video game cut scene, is exactly how I felt after watching the 2nd trailer. Obviously this takes place on an alien world with non human characters but I feel like you still need some real live action stuff to ground it a bit, or suspend your disbelief.

This is just an opinion though and not a critique.

28 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Because twitter reactions are not necessarily representative of overall critical reception. In particular, critics with less favourable impressions of a film may be less inclined to tweet about it compared to critics with positive views. This is why "reading the tea leaves" of twitter reactions to predict RT scores (at least precisely) can be a bit of a crapshoot - as we have seen historically.

Peace,

Mike

I just find it a bit weird if the general consensus is this sequel better than the first, how can the movie get 70% RT positive? But anyway, now I am sort of understand why they push the review embargo so last minute. I still think the movie is landing at mid-80% and given that so much critics have seen the movie, it is unlikely to see downward movement throughout the run. 

46 minutes ago, ImNotExcited said:

Yeah for every person I know is on RT there's like 20 I have no idea about. High 70s-low 80s is what I'm guessing it lands at. Maybe it could go mid 80s if people who are lukewarm on the story still recommend seeing it for the theatrical experience.

Don't worry, we had 150-200 reactions prior to this on December 6-8 and they're mostly great (and from people who are on RT or write for major outlets). And the movie is also getting recognition on awards which is a good sign.

And even today, most of reactions posted here are pretty good and a lot of them are on RT. Actually, the few really mixed ones today are mainly the ones from people who doesn't write about movies and probably won't "count".

I really doubt this will be near 90% tbh, this is not a type of consensus movie. But less than 80 seems a bit exaggerated as well based on all screenings we saw reactions, mid 80's seems fine i think. The fact that many people with some reservations story-wise still thinks it's very worthy for other reasons should help too.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1