Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Just now, RichWS said:

Got my center-back row IMAX 3D seat for Monday morning. According to my Google Doc with every movie I've seen in theaters since 2009, this is my first 3D flick since....The Walk seven years ago.

This is going to be my first 3D movie since The Martian (which opened around the same time as The Walk). Leave it to Cameron and Cameron only to finally get everyone interested in the format again.

5 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

It will be funny that this film could do 2 billion dollars WW and some will label it a dissapoinmtnet somehow.

Somehow? looking like $400m plus from china right now.

$1.6b from US & Overases excluding china, you would consider this good?

30 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

It will be funny that this film could do 2 billion dollars WW and some will label it a dissapoinmtnet somehow.

It would be an objective financial success but yet still a disappointment, and that's not a contradiction. A financially successful movie can still be a disappointment if the movie underperforms reasonable expectations of what it could have achieved — people really need to reconcile that idea with themselves. Case in point: Batman v. Superman was financially successful, but nobody would ever call that movie's box office performance anything other than a big disappointment.

$2 billion would be barely over half the relative success of the original Avatar, coming from the director who's made the two biggest movies of the past 40 years at least — one of which is arguably the biggest movie of all time — back to back. Of course it'd be disappointing — Avatar 2 can realistically achieve much, much more than just $2b.

Edited by hw64
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, hw64 said:

It would objectively be a financial success, but still a disappointment. A financially successful movie can still be a disappointment if it underperforms reasonable expectations of what it could have achieved — people really need to reconcile that idea with themselves.

$2 billion would be barely over half the relative success of the original movie, coming from the director who's made the two biggest movies of the past 40 years at least — one of which is arguably the biggest movie of all time — back to back. Of course it'd be disappointing — Avatar 2 can realistically achieve much, much more than just $2b.

I guess age of Ultron was seen as a dissapointment even though it was like top 5 biggest hit worldwide ever at that time. 

• Like 2

I mean, it was. Not a fatal one, but expectations were higher and it had all the textbook symptoms of sequelitis.

It's disingenuous to argue that a financially successful movie can't still be a disappointment, since all the prerelease talk is about what personal expectations are, and they are often elevated for hyped up sequels to monster blockbusters.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

Cross referencing for those interested. This is in China.

meh

how many reviews?

got a link?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

2 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

Cross referencing for those interested. This is in China.

Is douban a fan rating? before they've even seen it. It's like an interest measuring rating but continues to be active after the film has come out

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

yup, I didn't realise it was a big deal 🤷‍♂️ i dont mind the post getting deleted but the 2 warning points which lasts for a month isnt very timely.

I got 2 points for challenging the integrity of that reviewer who gave a the film a bad review and he had is location as 'Wakanda'. Baring in mind this was after the Reddit thread about Marvel fanboys were going to give the film a bad review because of camerons comments.

I mean i think thats pretty unfair to warn me over that.  Although i know exaxctly why, not saying anymore.

• Like 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Is douban a fan rating? before they've even seen it. It's like an interest measuring rating but continues to be active after the film has come out

Not sure on the intricacies of Chinese ratings sites, but I do know Douban is the hardest grade of the 3 major sites. Maoyan (the most commonly referenced) will probably be 9.2-9.4 (Avatar is a 9.4).

• Like 1