Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

7 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

You aren't obligated to take any review seriously. But it's their opinion on the film, they clearly didn't get much out of their experience. If the review is poorly written, dishonest, or otherwise doesn't fit the standards for a critical review, it's fair game to criticize the reviewer for that, but you can't ask someone to give a rating that isn't their honest opinion. 

I can't find it now, but there was a terrible review of Cabin in the Woods that described things that literally were not in the movie at all.  I can take bad criticism of movies I love, but that person clearly didn't even watch it or wasn't paying attention.  

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

I'm sure if you dig deep enough into any film critic's history of reviews you can find some consensus "bad" movie that they loved, and also find some reason to complain about their writing style or perceived lack of attention to a movie. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

they’re usually pretty good when it comes to aligning on the quality event movies. I’m wondering if a couple of the press showings that these all went to were turned off by the frame rate. Who knows. 

or….maybe it just isn’t that great!! 

Chris Gore said that in his screening, there were 15+ Uk critics watching and they were all laughing during the movie. The publicist had to come in and tell them to stop. These people don't represent the audience at all, yet their review gets to be the one put on the front of a newspaper.

This is a UK specific problem by the way.

12 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I would agreed with you if it's an isolated case, but his case is worthy of some wtf reactions.

I've known him for quite some time, dude just act like a troll sometimes

He manage to write panned reviews about Banshees Of Inisherin, Armageddon Time, Nope, The Batman, Spencer, After Yang etc 

Praising Morbius is just the crown jewery. Of course nobody have anything to do with his opinions but i don't see why we can't make some fun of it

Reminds me how people used to talk about Armond White. He wrote the most bizarre, incoherent Avatar review I've ever read.

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You know the most triggering part is that my tax payer money goes to the BBC, so they can get some film snob to review a movie in a way that's completely irrevalent to the people who actually paying for them to have a job

Main-Stream Media should have critics that have similar tastes to the general audience, not someone who scoffs whenever a budget goes over $50m

Isn't that why the outlets always focused on how the opinions are from the writer only and don't represent the company? 

I think it's unfair to think BBC as a company needs to publish reviews that pleases the personal taste of it's readers. 

I know following reviews purely as data is fun and all, but critic as a profession is not there to agreed with you, it is there to open discussions and maybe give some recommendations.

• Like 3

Moderation

@IronJimbo @stuart360 Your "grr critics bad" schtick isn't funny anymore. I don't know why you're throwing these temper tantrums because one or two random critics said mean things about a movie you're excited about, especially when the majority of those stuffy, pretentious, hateful critics you're complaining about like said movie, but it's beyond ridiculous and unnecessary. Don't even try with this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, danziger said:

Reminds me how people used to talk about Armond White. He wrote the most bizarre, incoherent Avatar review I've ever read.

Yes i know Armond, he have a reputation of having strong distate for pretty much everything lol 

Not that i have a problem with it, i genuinely like watching Grace Randolph reviews just to see her giving some bizarre opinions, basically the same reason

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Brits not loving it won't effect A2's box office. Will have an impact on its BAFTA and Oscar chances, but that's not Cameron's endgame with this film anyway.

Will not remotely effect how big it’ll be in the U.K.  Agree. 
Aside from the telegraph and guardian reviews there’s plenty of great quotes to be pulled out of even the ok’ish reviews for banner commercials this weekend. 

It’ll be fine. Especially considering the strong RT early score and the online blogger video discourse seems very positive. 

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Added The Sun and The Mirror to the U.K. scores….

Independent 3

Evening Standard 4

Empire 5

Total Film 4

Telegraph 1

Guardian 2

The Times 2

Financial Times 3

Daily Mail 4

Daily Express 2 

BBC 2

Metro 3

Digital Spy 3

The Sun 3

Mirror 4

Those are out of 5 i guess?.

To be fair if you put just those reviews into a RT style aggrgate system, it would be around what?, 65-70%?.

Lower than most places but not bad overall.

• Like 2

Im ok with very low reviews if they are well argued even if i always thought that if you write for a popular audience you should put an effort to notice and describe the aspects of the movie that you can see the general audience loving and considering strong, even if it didnt move you specificaly. I would be suspicious of a very low avatar 2 review that doesnt even give it the benifit of the doupt visualy and doesnt at least give a shoutout to "its very well made and will be a pleasing visual experience for many people". But thats more so my opinion on how such reviews whould be approached 

But a particular review that annoyed me was a Tom Critic in RT just writting "haha its Dances with the wolfs in space! Bad" as the summary of their  review . Like ok everyone is free to find the movie bad and write about that but is that really what you thought as a professional, allegedly top, reviewer when you come out of the theater ? Is that the description you chose to summarise what your review is to the audience the best? The low effort internet meme comparison ? Like not even attacking this person but it felt weird to see what i see from random reddit and twitter comments as the summary of a pro critics review

Edited by Gkalaitza
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Added The Sun and The Mirror to the U.K. scores….

Independent 3

Evening Standard 4

Empire 5

Total Film 4

Telegraph 1

Guardian 2

The Times 2

Financial Times 3

Daily Mail 4

Daily Express 2 

BBC 2

Metro 3

Digital Spy 3

The Sun 3

Mirror 4

Well, at least Spectre is 10/10 for those guys.

• Like 1

If critics are so irrelevant for the box office i don't know why some people are so bothered by them. 

I like the discussion around them and even make some fun but it's not that deep to generate a riot. In all honesty, the reviews probably already did it's part, people talked about how it's well received the whole day on social media. 

• Like 5