Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

7 minutes ago, Cap said:

with the inflated ticket prices, I highly doubt this is going to go below 150 million. And I also doubt it will go below 2 billion worldwide. So let’s not really start that train yet until at least 2023 people we got a long way to go and we’re not even through the week yet!!!!

I am definitely not on that train yet if anything because I want to watch how this behaves over december first. Certainly a bit of a disappointing start, however.

But oh well, I have my tickets for saturday and I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it, so can't complain too much I guess.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cap said:

with the inflated ticket prices, I highly doubt this is going to go below 150 million. And I also doubt it will go below 2 billion worldwide. So let’s not really start that train yet until at least 2023 people we got a long way to go and we’re not even through the week yet!!!!

Inflated ticket prices or not, you still need enough admits to reach 150 million OW. 

7 minutes ago, GipJo said:

Looks like the early showing from China are getting mixed reviews, especially on the screenplay front.

Some mixed points:

Slow start; no big climax or twist; weak villain; family theme is not that interesting compares to the human vs natives narrative; smaller fight and consequences in 3rd act; too many subplots in 2nd act and they went nowhere, the editing between different subplots is too direct and boring; cringe dialogues; too much a prequel (basically Dune).

Visual is staller but some aren't really that impressed because of lackluster screenplay.

That's funny dude, my chinese friends translated a bunch of reviews for me and they all said the EXACT opposite of all the negatives what you just said. Really strange!

• Like 3

Just now, IronJimbo said:

That's funny dude, my chinese friends translated a bunch of reviews for me and they all said the EXACT opposite of all the negatives what you just said. Really strange!

Where are these reviews? I saw them on Tieba, in a hardcore movie forum. Maybe the general public ones (like Weibo, Maoyan or Taopiaopiao) are better, but these platforms usually have great reviews for most films, especially the ticket purchasing platforms. I don't trust Douban, you can't tell which one are real or fake.

2 minutes ago, GipJo said:

Where are these reviews? I saw them on Tieba, in a hardcore movie forum. Maybe the general public ones (like Weibo, Maoyan or Taopiaopiao) are better, but these platforms usually have great reviews for most films, especially the ticket purchasing platforms. I don't trust Douban, you can't tell which one are real or fake.

Ah I see, this is most likely the difference.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Yep i have no doubt Jimbo. Especially with the way China feels about the first film.

The only opinion that really matter is my own, and seeing the selective negative posts creeping in, well its justsaled the deal for me, i will be seeing a 2D showing on Friday.

Cant get into 3D unless i want the shitty front row seats, and i was going to wait, but nah i'm going to see the film so i can chuckle at the desperation of some.

Metacritc not even 70 even with the sheer spectacle and tech prowess is honestly pretty disappointing. This is being received like a well enough received MCU or DCEU flick. Good but nothing great. Worried about my box office expectations now. Absolutely lowering them. Feels mid AF with muted buzz.

Was gonna see this week now definitely waiting until January or Disney+. Maybe Cameron just got too old and doesn't have the magic these days? Critics certainly think so. Oh well, at least we got Puss and Boots. Pretty much same reviews. Maybe that'll deliver for the fam this holiday season and not leave our butts as numb with its reasonable running time.

What's the odd that this doesn't hit No Way Home DOM  even though NWH opened during HUGE Covid surge in US? Be funny if it doesn't hit those with 12+ year build up DOM and all the tech advancements... I'll go with 700ish DOM now. Just under TGM. Expected more. 

Assume everyone expects diminishing returns with each sequel based on the very mid reception from critics? Like Disney Star Wars all over again probably? Less and less and less and less with each assembly-line-tar?

JupiTAR Descending Way of the Mid.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

Hey all! Been a long time since I've been here on the forums (joined during Frozen's run hence my username) but figured I'd come back since I'm interested in TWOW's box office. 

I always figured 3b WW was very unrealistic. I wouldn't expect those numbers as a possibility until Avatar 3 if anything. I still stand by my prediction of a 150 mil OW, with around 650 mil DOM and a 1.7-2.2 billion WW. Not enough to overtake the first, but hopefully enough that we get 4 and 5, and really in the end that's what I care about. As long as it makes enough to get Avatar 4 and 5, I'll be happy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Metacritc not even 70 even with the sheer spectacle and tech prowess is honestly pretty disappointing. This is being received like a well enough received MCU or DCEU flick. Good but nothing great. Worried about my box office expectations now. Absolutely lowering them. Feels mid AF with muted buzz.

Was gonna see this week now definitely waiting until January or Disney+. Maybe Cameron just got too old and doesn't have the magic these days? Critics certainly think so. Oh well, at least we got Puss and Boots. Pretty much same reviews. Maybe that'll deliver for the fam this holiday season and not leave our butts as numb with its reasonable running time.

What's the odd that this doesn't hit No Way Home DOM  even though NWH opened during HUGE Covid surge in US? Be funny if it doesn't hit those with 12+ year build up DOM and all the tech advancements... I'll go with 700ish DOM now. Just under TGM. Expected more. 

Assume everyone expects diminishing returns with each sequel based on the very mid reception from critics? Like Disney Star Wars all over again probably? Less and less and less and less with each assembly-line-tar?

The film has a 84 RT score currently, and a huge percentage of the reviewers said its a better film than the first.

Honestly the past couple of days, some of you need to get some air.

• Like 4

Long post (basically get all my assorted thoughts out there) for a first-time poster, but occassional lurker to this forum (I looked here occassionally throughout Endgame's run, dipped for a few years, and found it again).

• Just took a look at the seating in my local theater chain in the midwest USA (Showplace Cinemas). There are pretty much no sold-out showings for the entire weekend (plus the Thursday night early showings), even in IMAX 3D [which will still rule even if my IMAX is half the size of a standard IMAX].
  • If I had to make a guess for how much this will do box-office wise, I'll say $150M DOM OW and around $2.4B WW total. If the movie ends up making anything more than that, great!
  • It's been years since I've seen the first Avatar, but that movie probably was the first box-office juggernaut where I got to see some of the totals emerge in real-time. Not through a forum, but just seeing the weekly numbers come out. I didn't pay attention to that stuff while TDK, POTCDMC, or ROTK were running since I would've been 8-13 years old when they released. And I was just 2 when Titanic was in theatres (not counting the 2012 rerelease), so definitely not on my mind then.
  • I'm tempted to just go "Fuck it" and order a 7:15 PM IMAX 3D showing for Thursday [in a room that's currently around 2/3rds capacity]. Of course, I'll need to dig out the old Avatar 1 DVD from back in the day to watch the first one beforehand.
  • Like 1

Looking at ticket sales for my primary theatre vs Black Panther for Thursday to Sunday

IMAX: Avatar 11 showings - 3,143 tickets sold out of 4,576 available seats = 68.7%

IMAX: Black Panther 15 showings - 2,899 tickets sold out of 6,240 = 46.5%

ScreenX: Avatar 419 tickets sold - Black Panther 430 

Reg 3D: Avatar 249 - BP 298

Regular 2D: Avatar 39 - BP 1,187

the regular 2D sales for Avatar are practically non-existent

I expect this pattern to repeat for the other two theatres I'm tracking. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Deuce66 said:

Looking at ticket sales for my primary theatre vs Black Panther for Thursday to Sunday

IMAX: Avatar 11 showings - 3,143 tickets sold out of 4,576 available seats = 68.7%

IMAX: Black Panther 15 showings - 2,899 tickets sold out of 6,240 = 46.5%

ScreenX: Avatar 419 tickets sold - Black Panther 430 

Reg 3D: Avatar 249 - BP 298

Regular 2D: Avatar 39 - BP 1,187

the regular 2D sales for Avatar are practically non-existent

I expect this pattern to repeat for the other two theatres I'm tracking. 

it's great that everyone knows to watch it in 3D, will help in the long run.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

The film has a 84 RT score currently, and a huge percentage of the reviewers said its a better film than the first.

Honestly the past couIple of days, some of you need to get some air.

I know. I'm kidding. Anything about a 60 for a blockbuster on MC is very good. People were getting goofy caring about reviews for this thing. It's even nominated for BP at GGs.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Green Book is 69 metacritic too.