Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

If this goes below 150 million after the trades were talking about 200, then some "dissapointment" headlines will appear, and like it or not thats going to have an effect on legs

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

lol

why is this movie of all things divisive (with critics and to a certain extent with audiences)

When was it divisive? I mean am I reading the same thread as everyone because ever since the first batch of reviews dropped I hasn't seen a single damn thing that changes the consensus in any significant way if not at all

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

When was it divisive? I mean am I reading the same thread as everyone because ever since the first batch of reviews dropped I hasn't seen a single damn thing that changes the consensus in any significant way if not at all

No. It is divisive with critics at least. Overly positive obviously but divisive. Lots of 100s and lots of sub 50s even 20 and 25 out of 100. I thought everyone kinda expected this given, especially, that the first is still kinda divisive.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

No. It is divisive with critics at least. Overly positive obviously but divisive. Lots of 100s and lots of sub 50s even 20 and 25 out of 100. I thought everyone kinda expected this given, especially, that the first is still kinda divisive.

I totally expected that, it will be the same with audience except with more people who love it. You're going to see an influx of super fans who watch 10+ times 🕵️‍♂️

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

If this goes below 150 million after the trades were talking about 200, then some "dissapointment" headlines will appear, and like it or not thats going to have an effect on legs

Im not calling it a certainty yet, but I am saying that if I was making a bet I would definitely take the “under” on $150M.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

Im not calling it a certainty yet, but I am saying that if I was making a bet I would definitely take the “under” on $150M.

Gotta bank on big, thick legs then... Because that's absolutely disappointing. You're taking Love and Thunder and Dominion OW weekend DOM here. Hopefully it's at least above those two especially because there's even less competition and this is even more geared toward premium screens inflating box office with fewer admissions.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

The funny thing is that all of the reviews I've read both positive and negative are just talking about the same things: ridiculous visuals and a simple story. I always think of "divisive" as in there's something that has to be very polarizing or offensive. But to call this movie divisive would be overblowing it imo. The low-score critics are just going through a phase.

2 minutes ago, Derpity said:

Avatar TWOW was nominated for Best Picture and Best Director at the Critics Choice Awards

something doesnt fit

some signs pointing to it having amazing reception while others point to it having just good reception

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

5 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

The funny thing is that all of the reviews I've read both positive and negative are just talking about the same things: ridiculous visuals and a simple story. I always think of "divisive" as in there's something that has to be very polarizing or offensive. But to call this movie divisive would be overblowing it imo. The low-score critics are just going through a phase.

I mean, yeah... Cameron would never make anything truly divisive. Simply doesn't have it in him. Divisive as in the critics that don't like it, at least some, absolutely think it's a complete shit blockbuster and everything wrong with elongating a series with 3 more 3+ hour films for the sake of tech demo. Similar to Lion King remake tech demo views. Just nothing there, long as fuck and crap. At least the critics that don't like it.

The "problem" with the reviews is not that they are "bad" - they're not! - but that in the post-pandemic market, both from the rise of streaming and cost concerns, the bar for getting people off their couch and into a theater has been raised; being "good" is often not good enough

(and fwiw I think this a fair amount of anti-Avatar sentiment out there that is helping to push scores lower)

When you've sold a film on the visual experience (aka a higher ticket price), with a ~4 hour time commitment, then there is a certain level of expectations for quality/entertainment value set. Avatwo isn't Cats, but it is also not Hamilton, and that may be a limiting factor not just for OW, but legs as well, despite the lack of competition. Audiences have shown they're willing to just skip the movies altogether if nothing strikes their fancy

On that note, shameless plug

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Like back in 2009 after a certain movie open at 77mio$ and people called it the biggest flop in history?

2 minutes ago, dignam said:

Like back in 2009 after a certain movie open at 77mio$ and people called it the biggest flop in history?

nah 77 in 09 is a respectable ow (2nd highest for an original move) for an original movie that had to deal with a snowtorm, 135 for the sequel to the highest grossing move of all time isnt (96 million in 09 dollars), and theres people who have their knives out for avatar, so its not a great spot to be in

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

The "problem" with the reviews is not that they are "bad" - they're not! - but that in the post-pandemic market, both from the rise of streaming and cost concerns, the bar for getting people off their couch and into a theater has been raised; being "good" is often not good enough

(and fwiw I think this a fair amount of anti-Avatar sentiment out there that is helping to push scores lower)

When you've sold a film on the visual experience (aka a higher ticket price), with a ~4 hour time commitment, then there is a certain level of expectations for quality/entertainment value set. Avatwo isn't Cats, but it is also not Hamilton, and that may be a limiting factor not just for OW, but legs as well, despite the lack of competition. Audiences have shown they're willing to just skip the movies altogether if nothing strikes their fancy

On that note, shameless plug

Now if this movie doesn't do that, like unable to, then I have no idea what can. It's like everything that could possibly be done at this point is already done. I doubt a more best-story-of-all-time can change anything.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

something doesnt fit

some signs pointing to it having amazing reception while others point to it having just good reception

I don't think it's weird at all, Cameron is kind of an awards darling.  

Aliens - 7 Oscar noms/2 wins

Abyss - 4 Oscar noms/1 win

T2 - 6 Oscar noms/4 wins

True Lies - 1 Oscar nom

Titanic - 14 Oscar noms/11 wins

Sure, of course most of these are technical and this is just the Oscars, but he's got a pedigree within these organizations.

• Like 1