Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

IIRC Avatar's 9.73 domestic multiplier (from opening weekend) was the best ever for any $30m+ opener. I hadn't checked to see whether that record still stands, but skimming through BOM's OW rankings, looks like it does (I didn't double-check so someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, with $36.2m OW & $351.7m post-OW, came extremely close and was constrained by opening on a Wednesday. 

@MikeQhas already posted a list showing Avatar: The Way of Water ranks 3rd all-time among $70+m openers. Once it exceeds 5.02, it will pass The Phantom Menace (though it also opened on a Wednesday) and rank 4th among $50+m openers. Astonishing given it is way harder to have a 5x multiplier now, especially for a $134m opener even in December.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

After mediocre numbers Ant-Man3 did in my area(central Europe) local IMAX dropped one daily show and placed again Avatar2 3D for upcoming weekend and next week. So going to see it sixth time this weekend in IMAX 3D HFR.
Each time I see it the movie grows on me more with little subtle nuances here and there which I didn't pick up at other screenings.

Love the scene when Lo'ak first time wakes up on Payakan and help remove harpoon from his fin. Close, handheld like camera motion and going above and below water surface without any cuts really feels like watching some documentary footage from different planet.

Edited by adaros
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, adaros said:

After mediocre numbers Ant-Man3 did in my area(central Europe) local IMAX dropped one daily show and placed again Avatar2 3D for upcoming weekend and next week. So going to see it sixth time this weekend in IMAX 3D HFR.

Same here as well. I'm also gonna try to squeeze it in another time.

Edited by Dale Cooper
  • Like 1

shocked every time I remember this is a 3-hour movie, sure the pacing is amazing, but when I think about how relatively few things (for a 3 hour movie) happen in this movie I end up tricking myself into thinking this was 2 hours long at most

even the friend I saw the movie for the 2nd time with thought there was about an hour or more left during the titanic homage

maybe its the effect of it being one script split into 2 movies

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

46 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

its not looking likely, but I hope they manage to sneak in one special edition before that

16 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Before what?

the article has that title, but it reads to me more like a "when will avatar 2 be on disney+"-type article

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

the article has that title, but it reads to me more like a "when will avatar 2 be on disney+"-type article

Well, there is still the Oscars which means the movie will continue playing until mid-March. With regards to Disney+, nothing is announced yet, but I wonder if it can continue playing despite being on the streaming service.

5 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Honestly hope they might be committed to getting it to 700 DOM. A small re-expansion next month followed by a big re-expansion into PLF with an actual marketing “see it one last time on the big screen” push in April could potentially do it imo. 

Edited by MovieMan89

“There’s rainforest, there’s arctic, there’s desert, there’s oceans, all those different biomes and all the creatures and cultures. Not only did we have to do creature design, but we had to do cultural design and imagining what these different Na’vi adaptations to these different biomes might look like. Desert people, the Windtraders that travel around, that sort of thing.”

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This honestly sounds like they might be committed to getting it to 700 DOM. A small re-expansion next month followed by a big re-expansion into PLF with a an actual marketing “see it one last time on the big screen” push in April could potentially do it imo. 

Is it possible they come out with a shorter-edition? like 30 min shorter to encourage repeat viewings and getting those stubborn folks that refuse watching long movie,  

4 hours ago, Borobudur said:

Is it possible they come out with a shorter-edition? like 30 min shorter to encourage repeat viewings and getting those stubborn folks that refuse watching long movie,  

Don't think that's even possible with this movie without removing full important parts.
There are many characters and cutting half an hour would need to cut whole sub plots (like e.g. whole Payakan plot) which are important to the overall story. For me first hour of the movie already felt rushed/cut too much, wanted to see more of how they lived on Pandora before Sky People came back.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Borobudur said:

I think pushing that it’s your last chance to see it the way it’s intended to be seen is their best bet. Shorter version would be quite strange and likely not possible, and yeah in this case an extended edition might turn most people off.