Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

10 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Not Cameron and Landau taking 300M in participations lol, and even with that Disney still gets 531M

+800M of profit, insane 

I even think they´re underestimating those home entertaining, the movie is doing insanely well on PVOD and i bet it will be big when they drop the 4K Blu-Rays. But since the run on home entertaining just started, it´s normal that they throw a lower prediction.

• Like 3

$300m participation for Cameron and Landau! Dammmmmn!

Bigger than even TGM $280m participation which was split between Cruise, Kosinski, McQuarrie, and Bruckheimer.

But look at those Avatar profits! Crazy!

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

#1 as expected. That production cost looks crazy, but I wonder it includes the cost of filming Avatar 3 in conjunction?

My understanding was that a lot of it is, but I have no how it's being amortized over the sequels. Seems pretty safe to say Avatar 3's budget will be reported as massive as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GOGODanca said:

Home Entertainment seems low

I don't get how Home Entertainment be so low when home video costs are pinned at 100M. You're supposed to see 1/3 of home video go to home video costs not 2/3rds (and even that is by industry consensus as exaggeration of physical media costs. home entertainment also includes some digital transactions). 

So let's see what the actual breakeven point was according to Deadline:

(1) let's pretend participations are a flat 18.5% of first dollar gross (300/total revenue) - I might use 20% for ease of math.

(2) theatrical = 80% of overall revenue (subtracting video costs from video revenue for ease of math).

[Revenue] = [Rentals] * 5/4

[Costs] = 687 + .185* [revenue]

Revenue = costs at 674M in theatrical rentals / 843M in overall revenue.

Given that Deadline thinks Disney took in 54/55% of box office revenue, that translates to an estimated 1.231B breakeven point

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Thanks to JC himself who misled the whole situation, many people really believe the movie needs $2bn to break even. That talk of $2bn break even point even cast some shadow to movie's buzz after OW underperformance. 

4 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

$300m participation for Cameron and Landau! Dammmmmn!

Bigger than even TGM $280m participation which was split between Cruise, Kosinski, McQuarrie, and Bruckheimer.

But look at those Avatar profits! Crazy!

Cameron received already 240 M for Avatar 1, so it´s not so much if he had to split with Landau, unless, 95 % is for him ;)