Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

17 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Avatar-The-Way-Of-Water-Profit.png?resiz

Theatrical revenues are wrong. They are $1.08B by my counts, by Deadline should be a bit lower.

Everything else remains same, that’s $340M profit.

Though I think Home Media & Television are very low. Should be higher. Interest can be higher too considering how long it’s been in production.

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Theatrical revenues are wrong. They are $1.08B by my counts, by Deadline should be a bit lower.

Though I think Home Media & Television are very low. Should be higher. Interest can be higher too considering how long it’s been in production.

Home media is only 1/7 of Avatar 1 ,impossible,should be way higher

There have been wild rumors out there about the production cost for Avatar: The Way of Water, some suggesting $700M net. However, backing out the amount of money it cost to shoot concurrently future sequels during Avatar: The Way of Water‘s production schedule, our sources believe the net production cost is $400M solely for Avatar: Way of Water including New Zealand tax credits

per Cameron, the second, third and first act of the fourth movie had to be done in one production.

So majority of a3 (70-95% depending on who you ask) + 1st part of 4 = ~300m production cost?

Edited by GOGODanca

Crazy how worldwide entertainment and home video earnings for this movie are projected to be $350m lifetime, the first avatar made $430m from home video just domestically alone, crazy how streaming has killed ancillary market

• Like 1

Yeah, the original Avatar was the best-selling Blu-ray of all-time until Frozen if I remember correctly. But with it going to Disney+ for free eventually, there's little point to buying physical copy for subscribers unless you are a hardcore fan.

5 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The $1.26 billion in theatrical rentals is factored off, per sources, 25% of China’s box office, 55% average for the rest of the world, and 65% for domestic. Why so high for the latter? Because Disney was able to demand high terms from exhibition 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

The $1.26 billion in theatrical rentals is factored off, per sources, 25% of China’s box office, 55% average for the rest of the world, and 65% for domestic. Why so high for the latter? Because Disney was able to demand high terms from exhibition 

55% overseas is BS. It will be 45%. Normally its 40% but for blockbuster titles Disney get 45% or so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

55% overseas is BS. It will be 45%. Normally its 40% but for blockbuster titles Disney get 45% or so.

Idk, maybe they manage to get a higher share just like in US somehow, hard to be sure with this, i just posted the breakdown so everyone can see where the number is coming from. 

But yeah maybe they´re wrong, i´m sure the projection for home media numbers are being drastically underestimated for example [even if i don´t blame them since the movie just entered PVOD].

5 hours ago, Elessar said:

If Avatar 2 made "only" 350m profit then pretty much no blockbuster makes any money.

Profit *for Disney/Fox*.

Lightstorm got another $300M.

And let’s not forget that A2 costed $400M just to produce. And the money is all on the screen.

I know its only estimates and all that but how can a film gross 2.35bil WW and 'only' mkae 600mil profit?.

How do 200mil and 300mil films that often make less than a bill WW make a profit?. Hell we had had like 200mil budget films make 400-500mil WW and still get sequels.

I mean we have had rom coms wil 80,90,100mil budgets lol, how the hell do they even get greenlit?.

Something sounds fishy to me.

Having said that, the budgets for 3, 4, and 5 will probably be way lower than 400mil (especially 3 and 4 as they are already partly made).

All 5 films could easily make 2-3bil profit, which still sounds very low for a franchise that could be around 10bil WW after the 5th film.

I'm sure everyone will be happy thougfh in the end lol.

26 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I know its only estimates and all that but how can a film gross 2.35bil WW and 'only' mkae 600mil profit?.

How do 200mil and 300mil films that often make less than a bill WW make a profit?. Hell we had had like 200mil budget films make 400-500mil WW and still get sequels.

I mean we have had rom coms wil 80,90,100mil budgets lol, how the hell do they even get greenlit?.

Something sounds fishy to me.

Having said that, the budgets for 3, 4, and 5 will probably be way lower than 400mil (especially 3 and 4 as they are already partly made).

All 5 films could easily make 2-3bil profit, which still sounds very low for a franchise that could be around 10bil WW after the 5th film.

I'm sure everyone will be happy thougfh in the end lol.

Well most other blockbusters don't pay anywhere near as much in back end, Endgame total backend was 175m compared to ~300m for a2 (even then that 175 is only that high cause RDJ has all the leverage after Iron Man), also the ancillary market has crashed, the first avatar made over 400m from domestic home video alone, meanwhile deadline lifetime estimate for a2 from home video + streaming/tv rights for worldwide is $350m