Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 minutes ago, mikeymichael said:

I feel like as long as this doesn't totally bomb critically... like, as long as it clears 70-75 on RT... this is gonna cruise northwards of 700 million... easily. 

If it's 90+? TFA better look out. 

It's a 90+ easy

1 minute ago, Dragoncaine said:

It's a joke. watching as intended ALWAYS posts the hyperbolic tweet along with "A fitting end setting up what's next" anytime any social media embargo drops for a big movie.

Yep. He definitely wasn't in Brazil to see it, so it's just an attention grabbing tweet. 

18 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I feel like critics will pay more attention to the story side this time around. They know not to be dazzled by the imaginery too much this time. I still think the movie will be around 90% RT

Totally agreed, the first one have just 83% and let's be honest, since then a lot of people don't like the movie. 

I'm sure many critics will actually go watch the sequel ready to dismiss it if gives a chance. 

The movie needs to be as beautiful and excepcional as an experience like the first one, but the story needs to be better with better character developement in order to be better received than the first. 

Otherwise yeah i'm pretty sure it will be on the 70's. But since Cameron said so many times how this one is way better developed emotionally, i'm confident.

• Like 1

Since they went around the world doing these special 18 minute screenings, why not have just done avatar day like they did for the first one, would build good early WOM among moviegoers about the quality of the 3d instead of these super exclusive events

Just a heads up about this footage, i saw on Reddit that apparently Marvel fanboys are going to post negative reviews for this footage, over Camerons commnets.

I missed what comments Cameron said but i guess he pulled a Scorceze and bad mouthed Marvels factory production line or something?.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Basically what i have said numerous times on here.

AVATAR is just one film, and a 13 year old film at that. It doesnt have decades of comics, animation, tv shows, videogames etc, its basically one film.

To compare it to Star Wars, and especially to Marvel which has literally decades of lore and expanded universer, well its just silly.

You will see how much cultural impact the film had when the sequel makes 2-3bil worldwide.

• Like 1

I always ended up pissed reading twitter comments about Avatar before but now it makes me so joyfull lol 

It's just too good seing people talking so bravely about how nobody cares and it's gonna be a huge bomb knowing it's tracking so high 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I think he's wrong. Worthington's character was not beloved like say, Leo in Titanic. Proof, he has no legion of fans like leo who exploded in Hollywood. And Titanic was only one movie.

To an extent it's a function of both, but primarily the content drought, in my opinion. There are characters in Avatar like Neytiri and Quaritch where there's definitely something there and who I'm sure would have exploded in popularity if they'd have been kept in the public consciousness and explored further, and the fact that they haven't is almost entirely a result of the lack of Avatar content. Jake isn't necessarily one of those (yet), but Avatar was an experiential movie that deliberately put less focus on the story and characters, so let's see what Cameron can do with him in the sequels.

The actors' real-life fanbases are largely irrelevant — young Leonardo Dicaprio built his fanbase primarily off the back of his youth, attractiveness and charisma rather than off of the merits of any particular character he played, and Sam Worthington in 2009 was not young Leo by any stretch.

Edited by hw64

How do you even judge cultural impact anyway?. I mean people were seeing shrinks over depression over Pandora, i mean not many films have that kind of impact!.

Plus to judge the impact something has had, surely the success of the next thing released in that franchise would be a reference, and in this case its A2, which is probably going to gross in the 2-3bil range, with an outside shot of being the biggest movie of all time, juist like its predecessor.

4 minutes ago, hw64 said:

The actors' real-life fanbases are irrelevant — Leonardo Dicaprio got his fanbase primarily because he was young, very attractive and also very charismatic, and Sam Worthington in 2009 was not young Leo.

Yes, Leo was young and attractive, but here's plenty of those in HW. The reason for his legion of fans after Titanic was the story. That reasonated with a lot of women. Jake's story was not that interesting or culturally impactful to transform Worthington into a HW sensation. Sure, Worthington was not cute/ attractive like Leo, but he's not ugly in any shape or form.

• Like 1