Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Jon Landau drops a major spoiler about Avatar 5, if 4 is supposed to be a MF'er of a movie, 5 is going to get really weird if this happens.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/dec/09/avatar-the-way-of-water-sci-fi-franchise 

Spoiler

Yes, according to producer Jon Landau, the Na’vi are coming to Earth!

“In movie five there is a section of the story where we go to Earth,” Landau told io9. “And we go to it to open people’s eyes, open Neytiri’s eyes, to what exists on Earth.

“Earth is not just represented by the [evil, Pandora-scrubbing human corporation] RDA,” he added. “Just like you’re defined by the choices you make in life, not all humans are bad. Not all Na’vi are good. And that’s the case here on Earth. And we want to expose Neytiri to that.”

We can only assume this means that Neytiri and co are going to travel across the cosmos to mankind’s home planet

46 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Jon Landau drops a major spoiler about Avatar 5, if 4 is supposed to be a MF'er of a movie, 5 is going to get really weird if this happens.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/dec/09/avatar-the-way-of-water-sci-fi-franchise 

Hide contents

Yes, according to producer Jon Landau, the Na’vi are coming to Earth!

“In movie five there is a section of the story where we go to Earth,” Landau told io9. “And we go to it to open people’s eyes, open Neytiri’s eyes, to what exists on Earth.

“Earth is not just represented by the [evil, Pandora-scrubbing human corporation] RDA,” he added. “Just like you’re defined by the choices you make in life, not all humans are bad. Not all Na’vi are good. And that’s the case here on Earth. And we want to expose Neytiri to that.”

We can only assume this means that Neytiri and co are going to travel across the cosmos to mankind’s home planet

That’s sounds like exactly the kind of thing I was hoping they’d do with the sequels. Introducing some moral complexity to the story, and showing that things aren’t so black and white. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Territories that are over 100 million:

202.6 M / China

174.4 M / France

170.6 M / Japan

156.6 M / Germany

147.6 M / United Kingdom

116.1 M / Russia

108.3 M / South Korea

107.3 M / Spain

103.9 M / Australia

Markets to look out for:

93.7 M / Italy

57.8 M / Brazil

43.8 M / Mexico

28.0 M / India

That's nine 100 M territories. But this time, there won't be Russia, whose absence will be compensated by the expansion of China. Will Italy cross the century mark? Maybe Brazil?

AVENGERS: ENDGAME (2019) numbers:

86.7 M / Brazil

77.6 M / Mexico

62.7 M / India

I think these three have the potential to give 100 M each.

I think it can match Endgame's in BRL, but the currency is a lot worse now then it was in 2009 so don't expect it to reach Endgame's gross in Dolar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Borobudur said:

I hope Saudi Arab can somewhat offset the loss of Russia. KSA has nearly 600 screens and TGM grossed >$20m there. 

They love James Cameron.... Youll get your Wish my brother :).. TGM made 20m. Avatar2 should make double or that perhaps.

Whats the biggest film in Saudi Arabia > :)?

6 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

They love James Cameron.... Youll get your Wish my brother :).. TGM made 20m. Avatar2 should make double or that perhaps.

Whats the biggest film in Saudi Arabia > :)?

TGM is the highest grossing film in KSA.

I think ATWOW can hit $30M.

6 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I hope it doesn't land in those ranges, I can live with opening weekend though

The biggest OW  predict posts I saw this week Jim and every one were 230, 270 and a crazy 330M OW-:-O Leaping LIZARDS!!!.. Geez if any of these OW predicts become reality????? !!  lol....brother Jimbo and ontop of that this film holds and we get our 5x-7x Multiplier... Wow

I'm Still Predicting  a conservative but very astounding OW for DEC and 3HR + Film at 190m and I feel  its going to land much higher 205-215M OW or better on the highend. 

Very Very Good to see the fans are ready to help sail  this movie to absolutely domination no matter the climate. My smile lights up when I see posts of 3-7 tickets already...

So sorry we dont got Russia , but Asia and India and UK and so much other territorries will make up for it.

In the words of James Cameron and Jack!!! " JAKE SULLY AND NEFETERYI WAY OF THE WATER ARE KING OF THE WORLDDDDDD!!"  " WOOOHOOOOOO!!!

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I thought dual laser IMAX will be showing it in HFR (but downgraded to 2k) but it seems not? Not sure whether to watch it in the big IMAX (dual laser) or go Dolby where I get HFR but smaller screen. High chance I'll be rewatching it with my family though on a single laser IMAX screen (which will 100% do HFR). Definitely taking the dual laser IMAX tho if they're showing Oppenheimer prologue/trailer.

For the rerelease SOME dual laser Imax theatres were able to do HFR by windowboxing the image a bit, so it didnt reach side to side. But otherwise, HFR is only single laser.

8 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I made an error not doing multiple bookings straight away, it's almost impossible to get a seat as good as my opening day again. PLF screens are rammed

Wow almostb sold out in the apple as well. Hopefully I'll get some for 2nd weekend if not I'll have to miss 4dx till at least 3rd Weekend. Crap. Might see if i can get a laser Imax if 4dx keeps selling out brother jimbo.

Another great review

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Extreme confusion honestly, I won't be happy at all.

I'll be able to make $2.5b worldwide work, as cinema climate has changed massively post Covid and it would it would equate to the highest grosser in a none covid inflicted world. However, if it doesn't beat Titanic WW & Dom then there's no excuse.

Rebuke anything less than Total Domination my brother.. We will pass the 3Billion plus threshold and just maybe be the first to 4B WW and over 1B domestic :)

18 minutes ago, XXR 4 Modsident said:

TGM is the highest grossing film in KSA.

I think ATWOW can hit $30M.

Hopefully more. Rem our brothers in Saudi love to buy tickets for big movie events and they keep putting up awesome theaters in the country. So yep hope 35-40+M :).  Nice on Maverick's  Tally over there :)

4 hours ago, XXR 4 Modsident said:

Top 5 3rd Weekends

TFA = $90.24M

Black Panther = $66.3M

Endgame = $63.3M

Infinity War - $62.08M

If ATWOW opens over $170M, it should at least make it to 2nd on this list.

Im thinking if its as well received as the first and opens with my 190M or even better those 205-220+M OW #s. It could be number one on this list :). Rem Cameron films have had 7-20+ percent drops :(. And Avatar got 68M in 2009 in far less theaters :). (3600+) vs TFA 4400-4500 Plus TCs. 

This Avatar is in 4100+  Should be playing in a ton more theaters than Avatar 1 by the 3rd Weekend. :)

Im going on a limb and says this is a monster and will holds for well over 100m 3 weekends in a row domestically. 

Brother Stuart and XX.  This  is a James Cameron film having far more theater plays in the best formats than Avatar I.   Always remember, Titanic and Avatar do not follow the typical rules of BO behemoth patterns. I cant wait to find out if Im right on this. :)

Avatar 2 for #1 3rd weekend....Lets GO!

Avatar the also  first film in domestic history to hamper 100M for 3 consecutive weekends baby!!  If it does that I wonder if any film would break that besides Avatar 3 or 4

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating

33 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

For the rerelease SOME dual laser Imax theatres were able to do HFR by windowboxing the image a bit, so it didnt reach side to side. But otherwise, HFR is only single laser.

I saw it at a dual laser IMAX venue in HFR and there was no windowboxing. It filled the screen for the entirety of the film.

There’s a lot of misinformation out there regarding what can and can’t do HFR, particularly from random posters on Reddit.

5 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Im thinking if its as well received as the first and opens with my 190M or even better those 205-220+M OW #s. It could be number one on this list :). Rem Cameron films have had 7-20+ percent drops :(. And Avatar got 68M in 2009 in far less theaters :). (3600+) 

This Avatar is in 4100+  Should be playing in a ton more theaters than the first by the 3rd Weekend. 

Would be crazy if  it holds for well over 100m 3 weekends in a row Stuart and XX.  This is a James Cameron film.. Always remember, they dont follow the typical rules of BO behemoth patterns. I cant wait to find out. :)

Avatar 2 for #1 3rd weekend....Lets GO!

While I think it's unlikely, I won't say it's impossible. Christmas Eve and New Years Eve will hurt the 2nd and 3rd weekend (especially CE) but it could be something like....

185-110-92

2 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I saw it at a dual laser IMAX venue in HFR and there was no windowboxing. It filled the screen for the entirety of the film.

There’s a lot of misinformation out there regarding what can and can’t do HFR, particularly from random posters on Reddit.

Nice Snokes. YOu saw Avatar 2.>>??? How did you like it and is it a breakthrough in your opinion? Has Cameron done it again and what was your audience Reaction