Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Cameron will make it work and there will be plenty of interest in it.  Aliens came out 7 years after Alien and don't forget about Terminator and Terminator 2.  There's obviously enough interest in the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time.

• Like 3

Whaaaaaaaaaaat no way. Star Wars moved to December 2017 AND Avatar 2 not happening yet. Everyone's shocked I'm sure.

1 hour ago, junkshop36 said:

Is the 2018 date even set in stone or are they just throwing that out there?

Will be stunned if it happens before 2020. Cameron likes to take his time, especially now that he has all the leverage in the world

• Like 1

I would not discard another delay until 2019, just 10 years after first part. If I am not wrong, Cameron is making the 3 sequels back-to-back, isn't he? That is a lot of work, and as both Baumer and Chewy have said, Cameron uses to take long time between films.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, peludo said:

I would not discard another delay until 2019, just 10 years after first part. If I am not wrong, Cameron is making the 3 sequels back-to-back, isn't he? That is a lot of work, and as both Baumer and Chewy have said, Cameron uses to take long time between films.

1997 -> 2009 -> 2021

It's like poetry

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to believe that no amount of leverage will be able to produce anything better than what AVATAR was, right down to the story which really was the 3D.. I mean, unless Lord Cameron orders every theatre across America to rip out al the seats and install all D-BOX Seats and inject SMELL-O-VISION into the movie for the moviegoer to experience, then AVATAR 2 isn't doing much more than 500M Domestic.. At that point, we will have seen a ton of 3D movie and grown sick of it by the time AVATAR 2 rolls around... Hell, I'll be eligible for AARP by then...:ohmyzod:

Well a better story and characters with a slightly different setting with the underwater could help it a lot. I hope there is that, Cameron didn't work that much for nothing, he's not a dumb guy. And you say that like 500M domestic is bad... And the WW score will probably still be huge. 

Well someone should have bet "JamesCameronScholar" on making the 2017 date. He said he was willing to bet money James would make it.

This news is a top trending story on Facebook right now, so it's interesting reading what people really think about Avatar 2. It hasn't trended for awhile before today. Reading a lot think FOX was scared of Star Wars but I think Disney knew this was coming.

5 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Well someone should have bet "JamesCameronScholar" on making the 2017 date. He said he was willing to bet money James would make it.

This news is a top trending story on Facebook right now, so it's interesting reading what people really think about Avatar 2. It hasn't trended for awhile before today. Reading a lot think FOX was scared of Star Wars but I think Disney knew this was coming.

Of course ignorant Star Wars fans are going to say that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/41wrhr/some_amazing_things_about_the_avatar_sequels/

Don't know if this was posted (and obviously take with a massive grain of salt), but if true, holy shit. Cameron is getting $1B guaranteed to do the sequels ($333m-ish/movie), and Fox is essentially just paying for the sequels with part of the original Avatar's profits. Fox and Lightstorm set up a trust fund using 30% of the profits from Avatar and now it has accumulated enough to make, distribute, and market the sequels in full. Cameron and Fox are essentially making all profit with the upcoming sequels, whenever they come out.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Disney obviously knew it. The timing of the announcements doesn't make it look like that though. Fox and/or Cameron should have stopped talking about December 2017 release target before (they probably know it since quite some time, they see how the pre-production advances, they probably knew it before Disney knew it and then made its decision). They had plenty of time to announce it before. Now it definitively looks like they're fleeing from Star Wars (not that it would matter in the end). They could at least have wait a few weeks/months after the news to make it look like unrelated, the next day make it totally in reaction to Star Wars. Bad PR from Fox there !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shaldun said:

Disney obviously knew it. The timing of the announcements doesn't make it look like that though. Fox and/or Cameron should have stopped talking about December 2017 release target before (they probably know it since quite some time, they see how the pre-production advances, they probably knew it before Disney knew it and then made its decision). They had plenty of time to announce it before. Now it definitively looks like they're fleeing from Star Wars (not that it would matter in the end). They could at least have wait a few weeks/months after the news to make it look like unrelated, the next day make it totally in reaction to Star Wars. Bad PR from Fox there !

Ehh, no one will remember (expect us of course) that this was targeted for a 2017 release once it is getting close to coming out. If Fox announced Avatar was moving before SW announced, the opposite would apply. No matter who first it would have looked like a reaction.

Edited by Jayhawk

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

This really should go on the lot until production starts. Tired of seeing it taking up space on the first page of the main forum with no discernible reason for it being there

Sorry for discussing the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time on a box office forum.

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

And you can still do that in the on the lot forum

I don't exactly know what this lot is but it sounds like a way of segregating the discussion of the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time.

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

And you can still do that in the on the lot forum

I don't exactly know what this lot is but it sounds like a way of segregating the discussion of the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time.

Yes, it's a way of segregating films that haven't started production yet from ones that have.

It makes more sense to move this than it did to move an already complete film like The Interview after it briefly got pulled from release, anyway.

25 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/41wrhr/some_amazing_things_about_the_avatar_sequels/

Don't know if this was posted (and obviously take with a massive grain of salt), but if true, holy shit. Cameron is getting $1B guaranteed to do the sequels ($333m-ish/movie), and Fox is essentially just paying for the sequels with part of the original Avatar's profits. Fox and Lightstorm set up a trust fund using 30% of the profits from Avatar and now it has accumulated enough to make, distribute, and market the sequels in full. Cameron and Fox are essentially making all profit with the upcoming sequels, whenever they come out.

That's if they ever even do come out.