Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

31 minutes ago, Crainy said:

By sniffing them.

Well, there are posters here that have done tons of research and estimations, and while I can never remember what they are, I think Avatar is in the 75-80m ticket range, and Titanic is well above 100m.

It's really not even close.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Well, there are posters here that have done tons of research and estimations, and while I can never remember what they are, I think Avatar is in the 75-80m ticket range, and Titanic is well above 100m.

It's really not even close.

Yea it's not close. There's a roughly 50 million ticket difference between them, domestically. 

• Like 3

So that leaves “Endgame” $45 million short. Finally, comparing accumulated film grosses at today’s ticket prices with lower ones for earlier releases is nonsense. The whole competitive exercise serves mainly to satisfy various egos, on the one hand, and to feed a fanbase desire to be #1. The best adjusted gauge –a fairly accurate estimate — has “Titanic” as the most popular film in worldwide theaters ever, “Gone With the Wind” second, with “Avatar” third. James Cameron’s “Avatar” has an adjusted gross somewhere around $3.2 billion.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/avengers-endgame-footage-stunt-avatar-box-office-record-1202151336/

thoughts? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Wait a minute, I'm so confused.  We are comparing two Cameron movies here, why are you so opposed to Titanic selling more tickets?

I'm opposed to speculation over evidence. In all cases. Jim cannot overcome the scientific method, it's something even he cannot do. 

• Like 1

Difference between Avatar re-release and whatever this EG thing is that Avatar didn't do it to pass movie X. It was already #1 dom, OS and WW but they felt that AIW cut its 3D run short and that there was interest in seeing it in 3D by those who missed it first time. so it wasn't a chase for the record since it took all records. it was "lets make even more money if we can".

The reason why even media is giving Disney/Marvel the side eye is because this stunt is clearly aimed at taking down Avatar since that didn't work without re-release that isn't really re-release but a warm up for re-release should we need it if this doesn't work. In short, act of desperation. They aren't fooling anyone. Mind you, it's their right but by doing this they admit that their movie couldn't do it despite enormous opening advantage it had. 

As a fan of marvel, I'm a bit embarrassed for them. Like, if it was a normal re-release, fine. many movies do it. But this is just, eh, desperate. especially if they go with a normal re-release later in the year. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

As a fan of marvel, I'm a bit embarrassed for them. Like, if it was a normal re-release, fine. many movies do it. But this is just, eh, desperate. especially if they go with a normal re-release later in the year. 

Seeing fanboys fudge numbers is even more embarrassing. The amount of effort required to beat Jim really is something to behold.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Seeing fanboys fudge numbers is even more embarrassing. The amount of effort required to beat Jim really is something to behold.  

I admit that hair pulling over EG passing Avatar's original run (minus re-release) is embarrassing. it's a "record" nobody but 3 people know and care about because they have nothing else to fall back on since a) they don't know if there will be an actual re-release and b) they don't know if re-release would do the trick considering that the movie didn't hold all that well first time around. 

IMO, man up, focus on the only record that matters and be patient. it may still happen but it won't be soon.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Difference between Avatar re-release and whatever this EG thing is that Avatar didn't do it to pass movie X. It was already #1 dom, OS and WW but they felt that AIW cut its 3D run short and that there was interest in seeing it in 3D by those who missed it first time. so it wasn't a chase for the record since it took all records. it was "lets make even more money if we can".

The reason why even media is giving Disney/Marvel the side eye is because this stunt is clearly aimed at taking down Avatar since that didn't work without re-release that isn't really re-release but a warm up for re-release should we need it if this doesn't work. In short, act of desperation. They aren't fooling anyone. Mind you, it's their right but by doing this they admit that their movie couldn't do it despite enormous opening advantage it had. 

Thats one way of putting it.

One thing I really dislike about this whole thing is how disingenious it feels. EG couldnt beat Avatar unadjusted and when adjusted for inflation, it didnt even come close. Pretty much all Marvel fans really wanted that record too, but seeing how its out of reach now, SUDDENLY its the admissions that are the most important, even though noone talked about them before? Thats just embarrassing.

Marvel fans have to ask themselves, if they have to move the goalpost 12 times over in order to get an edge over Avatar in anything, what is your record even worth, even if you should get it? Not to even mention that when counted by admissions, neither Avatar nor EG even hold the crown so its kind of pointless.

• Like 5

On 6/22/2019 at 8:01 AM, Alexdube said:

One more thing about Avatar, the fact it sold at a higher % in premium formats is to the credit of the movie, people wanted to see it in 3d and wanted to see it AGAIN in 3d. They sold you something you couldn't get anywhere but at the cinema. Consequentially, the number of admission is smaller than the average movie relative to its total gross, but it doesn't take away anything from the record.

Excellent point and it reminds me of how much Cameron was mocked and predicted to fail for his 3D risk-taking. They thought he was a fool for investing so much in a product that had failed for decades, and they laughed at him for believing people would pay premium prices for it. 3D was absolutely seen as a reason Avatar would flop, but then against all odds Cameron succeeded yet again, even more than he ever had before. If these detractors were logically consistent, they would say what Avatar accomplished was even more impressive because of how Cameron revived a dead format despite charging much higher prices for it and doing so not with some popular franchise but something totally unknown that would live or die solely on word of mouth. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Avatar which was available on 3d for months and months was too short yet a few weeks of IMAX was too much for EG. Definitely checks out.

Just now, cdsacken said:

Avatar which was available on 3d for months and months was too short yet a few weeks of IMAX was too much for EG. Definitely checks out.

dude, the point still stands, Avatar didn't do it to pass movie X. it was already #1 by a wide margin. They simply wanted more money in the coffer, they were not in competition with anyone. Nobody says EG shouldn't do it, just that reason for it is different. And we aren't even talking about real re-release that would be perfectly normal, but a PR stunt designed solely to pass another movie cause initial run couldn't despite infinitely advantageous start.  It's a big difference. One was released to make more money, the other is upgraded or whatever it's doing to crawl past another movie. And this is from EG stan, mind you. I was 3 Billie Team. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

It is also the greatest part of BOT. Enjoy. 

Pay great attention to the posts of @IronJimbo  and the like. You will then indeed know what it means by  "CULT".

For a cult, we're remarkably tolerant about not reporting people who try to troll our threads or our fandom compared to a couple other notable fandoms. We're the nicest cult around. Of course, that's obviously a nefarious part of our cult just to draw people further in. 

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 3