Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

17 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Could you link me your source? I'm struggling to find it and @peludo seems to think the 2749 is also incorrect. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1145062/Avengers-Endgame-box-office-Avatar-box-office-highest-grossing-movies-of-all-time-record/amp

As the highest-grossing film battle continues, Avengers Endgame has now topped Avatar’s original stint in cinemas. As it stands the Marvel epic has made $2,750,760,348 worldwide compared to Avatar’s $2,749,064,328. However, the latter had a re-release in 2010 with extra footage which brought its box office total to a whopping $2,787,965,087. With just over $37 million to go to top the ultimate movie record, it’s unsurprising that Marvel Studios are re-releasing Avengers Endgame this weekend.

4 hours ago, Life goes on said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1145062/Avengers-Endgame-box-office-Avatar-box-office-highest-grossing-movies-of-all-time-record/amp

As the highest-grossing film battle continues, Avengers Endgame has now topped Avatar’s original stint in cinemas. As it stands the Marvel epic has made $2,750,760,348 worldwide compared to Avatar’s $2,749,064,328. However, the latter had a re-release in 2010 with extra footage which brought its box office total to a whopping $2,787,965,087. With just over $37 million to go to top the ultimate movie record, it’s unsurprising that Marvel Studios are re-releasing Avengers Endgame this weekend.

LMAO! OMG, guys, I would not be proud to have this news published by The Express. LOLOLOLOL, that site is garbage-tier media. Like, I know that EG passed Avatar's original run but considering who posted the news tells you all you need to know about the "importance" of this achievement. For those who are unfamiliar with the Express, they rose to infamy when they started to publish SW 'scoops" from Mike Zeroh, the most notorious Youtube rumor monger without any real credibility. 

Now if big trades pick up the news than great, but that'll happen only if Marvel/Disney feels like they should push it. 

that said, tic tock Avatar cause upcoming EG event with unfinished deleted footage is selling like hotcakes, #2 on Pulse and that other site. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I never saw it in premium format. That alone is enough reason for me to want it rereleased.

My experience was a bit odd , I saw it opening Saturday in a mostly empty theatre, I was in awe and enthralled and everything, but the theater experience would really have been better if it was packed. Avatar WOM really took a few days to spread and I never got to see it again when the theaters were presumably more packed a few weeks later. So yeah, my experience with the highest grossing film ever was a mostly empty theater, didn't stop me from loving it. But will definitely see it a couple more times in the biggest screen possible if it re-releases, hopefully with a more excited crowd as well.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I'd be surprised if the EG event makes up for the difference. But it's sad how blind fans are, I'm a MCU fan but are you kidding me, this stuff will be on the BD, an unfinished (seriously) deleted scene?

passion, not blindness. I don't think they are buying tix for that deleted crap. they understand this is about whatever it takes [to get the record] and they are responding. it's always great to have passionate fans. I might do it, sorry JCS and IronJimbo. :lol:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I'd be surprised if the EG event makes up for the difference. But it's sad how blind fans are, I'm a MCU fan but are you kidding me, this stuff will be on the BD, an unfinished (seriously) deleted scene?

Im sure they well do a full rerelease this is just a way to bridge the gap to make sure a rerelease gets the record. It also helps promote FFH which is a reflection of the MCU even if Sony made it.

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

passion, not blindness. I don't think they are buying tix for that deleted crap. they understand this is about whatever it takes [to get the record] and they are responding. it's always great to have passionate fans. I might do it, sorry JCS and IronJimbo. :lol:

Gotta say it's weird seeing avatar stans get upset at MCU fans. Not sure I have ever seen more "devoted" fans in my life. Passion is passion. 

Seeing folks saying "let's go watch it again so we can beat Avatar" is so pathetic imo. And I love Avatar and Endgame but this is taking such a turn that it is upsetting. That and Disney being so transparent, with some thrown together at the last minute extras. Had they done a proper rerelease in a few months, it would still be annoying but much less so. But hey, whatever, Avatar will probably get another rerelease and take over. 

I don't understand why Disney wants so desperately for Endgame to pass Avatar when they own both. 

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 3

They didn't make Avatar. They would be idiots to not try for the #1 (multiple rereleases if necessary). They will never nor deserve the credit for Avatar. 

Plus get it barely over Avatar, then rerelease Avatar to break the #1 again to hype Avatar 2. Everyone wins. Without EG beating it, I seriously doubt Avatar is rereleased. 

Just now, cdsacken said:

Why would they respect the record of a film they didn't make? That's ludicrous.

Films have been rereleased to break records for decades.

Pardon me for being so naive then. I figure they wouldn't want to piss off Cameron :D (although I'm sure he'll relish the challenge)

I’m actually kind of surprised at the piss-poor rerelease of Endgame. It’s like there’s internal conflict over at Disney. Hmmmmmm

HMMMMMMMMMMM

but seriously I was hoping for a grand rerelease that puts Endgame as number one because I seriously want that 4K conversion HDR re-release/re-render and no I do NOT want to wait until Avatar 2 so Disney can get me “hyped”. While Disney is at it, get on that Abyss 4K rerelease and do an anniversary edition Titanic 3D rerelease, are you reading this James Cameron-senpai?

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Of course they didn't make it, but they still own it. I see what you mean but I just don't understand the thinking. There's far more to Avatar obviously than its B.O.

I thought JC owned Avatar??? he gets like 20% of the money of 1 billion gross right? 

43 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Gotta say it's weird seeing avatar stans get upset at MCU fans. Not sure I have ever seen more "devoted" fans in my life. Passion is passion. 

Lucasfilm needs to learn this from Marvel cause, unlike Marvel, their relationship with fans is terrible. That's a main reason why Marvel is #1 franchise now while SW I just one of franchises. marvel has amazing Fandom/Customer Care Department.

Edited by Valonqar

In historic tables is written - highest grossing film: Avatar (Fox). When eg gets record it will be Avengers: Endgame (Disney). Then Avatar rerelease happens and it should say Avatar (Disney). Feige wins, Jim wins, MCU fans win, Jim’s fans win, Disney wins multiple times. I see this as an absolute win

Edited by JimiQ
  • Like 3