grim22

Steve Jobs | October 9 limited, expands Oct 16, wide on Oct 23 | Teaser Trailer Page 9

You%2Breally%2Bneed%2Bto%2Brelax.gif

A lot of contenders this year won't be ready until November at the earliest. Reviews for this are very, very strong but not otherworldly. The only nomination it probably is locked for is Best Actor (and given how barren the category is this year, Fassbender is now the frontrunner).

Winslet is also in because she gets good notes and is a campaign monster. And how isn't screenplay sure fire?

• Like 1

Winslet is also in because she gets good notes and is a campaign monster. And how isn't screenplay sure fire?

Oh true. So make that two categories.

I haven't seen much in the way of individual notices for Winslet, more along the lines that she's a solid player in the supporting ensemble. But you're right about her being Oscar hungry, and the Academy will probably toss her a nomination even if it's of the "thanks for trying again" variety.

It must be a very good performance.

"Fassbender's performance is expected to earn him several Oscar nominations."

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/michael-fassbender-is-the-best-steve-jobs-says-apple-cofounder-steve-wozniak-20150907-gjgybs.html

In addition to starring he was also in charge of makeup, VFX, sound editing, sound mixing and key grip.

• Like 8

And you just pointed out where the backlash against this movie will come from starting January.

That backlash will last for about a day.

It's like the Dr Dre situation in the NWA movie. We all know, we just don't care.

• Like 1

Is the film a hagiography? Can't see Boyle or Sorkin being interested in just making a two hour handjob to Apple...

From what I've read the film is honest about Jobs' behavior/personality, but I haven't read anything about it being honest about Apple's business practices. 

From what I've read the film is honest about Jobs' behavior/personality, but I haven't read anything about it being honest about Apple's business practices.

I'm assuming the movie has very little to say about Apple, the company. And why should it? It's about a man. The middle section is even about his product launch for NeXT, for god's sake.

• Like 3

I'm assuming the movie has very little to say about Apple, the company. And why should it? It's about a man. The middle section is even about his product launch for NeXT, for god's sake.

It's interesting that they went for the Lisa, the NeXT and the iMac but I imagine the reason was that it represented different decades of Jobs' life and career similar to why they shot in 16mm, 35mm and digital

That backlash will last for about a day.

It's like the Dr Dre situation in the NWA movie. We all know, we just don't care.

But an Oscar backlash always seem to be much stronger than normal

I remember when Zero Dark thirty was actually winning the Oscar race in 2012

but than the backlash over torture happened and it never won another major award after that.

American sniper also faced a huge Backlash when it was released during Oscar season and in my opinion I think the LBJ backlash over Selma was a big reason for why it was snubbed at the Oscars.

Straight outta Compton had the benefit of not being in the middle of an Oscar campaign when the backlash over Dr Dre happened 

plus as you pointed out a lot of people already knew about  Dr Dre and Dee barns ( it was no secret) 

but by the end of the day most people simply didn't care about an event that got settled in court over 25 years ago.   

But you better believe If the straight outta compton controversy had happened during Oscar season

The Backlash would have lasted much longer than a day ( The other Oscar campaigns would have made sure of that lol )

Edited by roxas11
  • Like 1

It's interesting that they went for the Lisa, the NeXT and the iMac but I imagine the reason was that it represented different decades of Jobs' life and career similar to why they shot in 16mm, 35mm and digital

The Lisa? I thought it was the original Mac. In any case, those three represent three nice structural moments in his professional life: his rise, his fall, and his redemption.

And then the sequel. IMAX for the iPhone launch.

• Like 3

The Lisa? I thought it was the original Mac. In any case, those three represent three nice structural moments in his professional life: his rise, his fall, and his redemption.

I rewatched the trailer and its indeed the original Macintosh and not the Lisa.

The structure sounds more like a play than a movie, but I trust Boyle to give it some cinematic vibrancy. I know almost nothing about Jobs beyond the carefully maintained image Apple curated, but looking forward to Fassbender doing his thing.

The film is adapted from the authorised biography and that gives an insight of what Jobs was like as a person.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1