Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

Is moon sci-fi? I'm just starting it now, and while I have no idea where it's going to go, so far it seems like it would fall into the "Gavity" category instead of sci-fi...

I would say why it is sci-fi but that would spoil the main thrust of the movie

It's not just acting, but in terms of sheer star power - Matt Damon has had plenty of action hits, Sandra Bullock isn't exactly a massive star.

What?

While Damon does have a number of large hits, outside of the Bourne series, he's usually part of an ensemble and often isn't the ostensible lead (True Grit, Ocean series, etc.)

Bullock has bigger hits than any of Damon's (Gravity, The Blind Side), and most of her other big hits have her as the lead or co-lead. The Proposal didn't get to 163m because of Ryan Reynolds.

Damon's a movie star, yes, but Bullock is a huge star. There's a reason she's one of the highest paid actresses ever.

• Like 2

So then space cowboys and Apollo 13 are sci-fi then

Yeah, Apollo 13 is the best example of non-sci-fi space film.

Is moon sci-fi? I'm just starting it now, and while I have no idea where it's going to go, so far it seems like it would fall into the "Gavity" category instead of sci-fi...

General advice - might want to watch the film before asking :P

Okay so I did finish it, and I can kind of see why it's sci-fi.

Uhhh what? Kind of? How on earth is it not sci-fi?

It's about

cloning

which is a completely futuristic concept which would change the world.

• Like 1

What?

While Damon does have a number of large hits, outside of the Bourne series, he's usually part of an ensemble and often isn't the ostensible lead (True Grit, Ocean series, etc.)

Bullock has bigger hits than any of Damon's (Gravity, The Blind Side), and most of her other big hits have her as the lead or co-lead. The Proposal didn't get to 163m because of Ryan Reynolds.

Damon's a movie star, yes, but Bullock is a huge star. There's a reason she's one of the highest paid actresses ever.

Yeah, sorry, I hadn't looked at her box office record. I didn't realise she was such a big star in America, here she is laughed at, as a C-list actor. Before Gravity, her last proper hit here was Two Weeks Notice, and that was thanks to Hugh Grant not Bullock. Before Gravity released, people laughed at the idea of Sandra Bullock doing a major movie. I guess our countries are rather different, sorry for not properly looking at her track record!

• Like 1

Great premise and great cast but it's Ridley Scott helming.

I never thought i'd feel that way and shame on me for that (he's a legendary director after all) but i think his creative days are over. I mean after i saw Exodus i'm pretty convinced that he's lost any kind of logical or natural narrative, any deep character development or even any pathos in his films. He still makes extremely beautiful pictures but they feel artificial and misguided.

I really hope i'm wrong and this is his return to form.

Great premise and great cast but it's Ridley Scott helming.

I never thought i'd feel that way and shame on me for that (he's a legendary director after all) but i think his creative days are over. I mean after i saw Exodus i'm pretty convinced that he's lost any kind of logical or natural narrative, any deep character development or even any pathos in his films. He still makes extremely beautiful pictures but they feel artificial and misguided.

I really hope i'm wrong and this is his return to form.

What logical/natural narrative was missing from Exodus?

Exodus, Prometheus are all visually stunning movies and Ridley has complete access to Hollywood resources there for sure. But you have to admit Prometheus 3rd act is very disappointing and Exodus having a more satisfying plotting doesn't take away the fact that the storytelling is lacking in urgency, creativity, and vitality. And when Ridley has to rely on dialogue & characters alone in movies like Counselor, he is at his weakest there/

And also, re: Exodus, I feel the writers/directors seem unable to decide whether the plagues are naturally occurring events (like tsunami & infestation by insects) or completely supernatural (like the death of the children). The first points to Egyptian's excesses in vanity mega-projects which puts strain on the environment, the second points to a more supernatural concept which kind of takes me out of the movie. The movie is one of the most beautifully shot of all Ridley's period epics. In the middle of it, I wish the angry God doesn't send the plagues to destroy those beautiful terraces and elegant royal villas. In Ridley's world, beautiful things get destroyed....

Edited by zackzack

well i noticed the other day on a re-watch that in the very beginning (no pun intended), Seti asks for Moses, Ramses, and his generals to gather around a table to plan for the Hittite attack, but it instead it cuts into the chicken entrails omen scene.  Also, when Moses gets banished to the desert and ends up getting married, his wife has no idea of  his background/history, then suddenly she's asking him about Memphis.  Ridley Scott said the movie was supposed to be nearly 4 hrs long.  I think alot of things had to be cut out, thus some of these random edits. 

• Like 2

Exodus, Prometheus are all visually stunning movies and Ridley has complete access to Hollywood resources there for sure. But you have to admit Prometheus 3rd act is very disappointing and Exodus having a more satisfying plotting doesn't take away the fact that the storytelling is lacking in urgency, creativity, and vitality. And when Ridley has to rely on dialogue & characters alone in movies like Counselor, he is at his weakest there/

And also, re: Exodus, I feel the writers/directors seem unable to decide whether the plagues are naturally occurring events (like tsunami & infestation by insects) or completely supernatural (like the death of the children). The first points to Egyptian's excesses in vanity mega-projects which puts strain on the environment, the second points to a more supernatural concept which kind of takes me out of the movie. The movie is one of the most beautifully shot of all Ridley's period epics. In the middle of it, I wish the angry God doesn't send the plagues to destroy those beautiful terraces and elegant royal villas. In Ridley's world, beautiful things get destroyed....

I was the opposite. I wished all the plagues were true to the source material (supernatural, not naturally occurring). Things got 'interesting' for the very last one but I will agree, it wasn't his best.  His films are very beautiful though.

I've said elsewhere, I loved the book (the Martian) so much that I'm nervous about a movie adaptation screwing it up (no matter who was making it). 

Edited by lilmac