Shawn Robbins

The Dark Knight Rises (SPOILERS ALLOWED - Discussion Thread)

I will be watching the movie again, but right now I feel that it was a good not great movie.I prefer the endings in both BB and TDK to this one and I thought they could have done a better job with Bane at the end.I think JGL got more screen time than batman, what's up with that?Catwoman was done very well.

Everyone keeps saying that something else should have done to Bane's end. I read those same criticism's of TDK. Nolan left us literally hanging with The Joker. At least with Bane, there is no mystery that he is dead.

Everyone keeps saying that something else should have done to Bane's end. I read those same criticism's of TDK. Nolan left us literally hanging with The Joker. At least with Bane, there is no mystery that he is dead.

I loved how the Joker ended. There wasn't any mystery of whether he died or not, he was obviously alive! The thing is though, the Joker had an amazing speech that summed up his character and what he'd accomplished within the film before changing the focus from him to Two-Face. You have closure with that character. With Bane, it's like "Oops, you're not the real villain here, Talia is. Boom, bye." There's not even a moment afforded to confirm his death. Yes, if those explosive rounds can make tumblers explode, one must assume Bane's dead, but you still have no closure. I would have preferred for him or Talia to stay alive, mostly Talia, but I guess Nolan wanted a true final ending of Bruce Wayne's arc.
  • Like 1

I loved how the Joker ended. There wasn't any mystery of whether he died or not, he was obviously alive! The thing is though, the Joker had an amazing speech that summed up his character and what he'd accomplished within the film before changing the focus from him to Two-Face. You have closure with that character. With Bane, it's like "Oops, you're not the real villain here, Talia is. Boom, bye." There's not even a moment afforded to confirm his death. Yes, if those explosive rounds can make tumblers explode, one must assume Bane's dead, but you still have no closure. I would have preferred for him or Talia to stay alive, mostly Talia, but I guess Nolan wanted a true final ending of Bruce Wayne's arc.

That is a way too simplistic take on Bane's character. He and Tate both worked together. That was obvious from my 2nd viewing. Especially the scene where they are creating the bomb and need Fox and Tate to unlock it. It is Tate that offers up her hand first saying something to the effect that "he is going to do it anyway." And people weren't angry whether the Joker was alive or dead. They were angry that Nolan left him hanging there, monologue or not. You don't even see the police take him into custody. Bane had plenty of monologues throughout the movie detailing his motives. Having yet another one especially at that point in the film would have brought a halt to the action. I don't know. I just think that people are letting fuzzy memories from a film 4 years ago shade their view of a film that is currently in front of them. Edited by JackO
  • Like 1

No, the Joker end was perfect. I just think that Bane deserved a more epic death. At least Selina had a great one-liner afterwards. This film had plenty of humorous scene. Nolan's humor is more intellectual and delicate, it's not stupid gags at the level of a 5-year old. He can be cheesy as well. "So this is what it feels like" was incredibly cheesy, but brought the house down during all of my 6 viewing.

• Like 1

They were angry that Nolan left him hanging there, monologue or not. You don't even see the police take him into custody.

You clearly see a SWAT team going right up to the hanging Joker right before the final shot of him dangling. So whoever those people are, they're morons. Edited by 4815162342

Going by the events of TDKR I wonder how advanced the Nolan's were on the script for the third film before Ledger died. It's possible the Joker would have made an appearance.

He didn't want to make a third movie when TDK opened. He didn't have a story and he was too distraught by Heath's death (Joker was likely was a key component to a third movie). Then at least from what I've gathered Warner Bros told him he could make any movie he wanted with any budget first (Inception) if he came back for a third movie.I don't know when Nolan and Goyer came up with the final scene though. I've read late 2008 but I've also read they talked about it when they were making BB. Edited by Gopher

You clearly see a SWAT team going right up to the hanging Joker right before the final shot of him dangling. So whoever those people are, they're morons.

Do you clearly see what the SWAT team does to the Joker? I'll wait here while look up the answer.http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2mqqCMu-LM

If you're the kind of person who needs to be show everything, then I guess you needed to be shown:Exactly just how Bruce Wayne traveled around the world for 7 years in BBHow Bruce gets from the mountain village to a random airstrip (and contact Alfred) in BBWhat happens to Scarecrow who's last scene in pain on a horse (OMG NOLAN LEFT US RIDING OFF INTO THE STEAM WITH NO ANSWER!!!!!)Ra's body getting immolated in the train crash (WE DON'T SEE HIM DIE HE COULD BE ALIVE!!!!)What Batman was doing for a year between BB and TDKWhere the hell Harvey Dent comes from and how he and Rachel suddenly are togetherHow Batman gets Lao back to Gotham in TDKHow Harvey Dent is able to track down Wurtz, Ramirez, and Maroni in the span of a few hours while battling crippling pain (and how he's just fine to walk around and kidnap people after causing a substantial car accident that presumably kills Maroni)Not even going to touch the "issues" some have with TDKRSo yeah, if people like you had their way, the Batman films would be ages longer with completely dead pacing and would have to show every little detail so people with mothballs could brains could understand every tiny detail, regardless of the fact that those little details are irrelevant. Nolan made it completely clear that the Joker was in custody with his shot selection and those who doubt that can go sit in the corner and watch Baysplosions for an hour to clear up their headache that comes from trying to use a brain but failing.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

You are obviously the person that needs to be shown everything if you can't understand how Bane's death is has more finality then the Jokers mysterious disappearance at the end of TDK. It's not my fault that you are holding up something up on pedastal and you can't even remember the movie. :rofl:

Item 1. Catwoman uses cannons on the batpod to blow up a wall of cars.

Item 2. Catwoman uses same cannons that blew up wall of cars on Bane.

End of story.

Item 1. Joker is surrounded by SWAT team members.

Item 2. ?

Maybe you should watch the movie again before pretending you know everything,.

Posted Image

Edited by JackO

I have seen the film twice now and have to say I put it right up there with BB. It's funny, I put 10/10 on IMDb for BB, so obviously I put that for TDKR, makes me wish there was an 11/10 for TDK.Anyway, I do have one issue that just nags me about this one. When Miranda is "caught, tried and sentenced" Bane tells his men to "bring her to me". But the very next scene she's at Wayne Tower with Fox as they unmask Bruce.I was like, WTF? I had figured she was Talia when Cotillard was cast so I was watching her character waiting for her to reveal herself, but for GA, why did Nolan basically show something was up with her then have the big "revelation" scene when she knifes Bats in the back? It just seems like the scene itself is out of order. Anyone else notice or is bugged by this?Other than that, I guess the only real beef I have is the Bruce's "teleportation" into Gotham. I know a traveling scene or an elaborate ruse to break back in would have slowed the film down when it was ramping up, but still...I cried when the half blind inmate said to not use the rope and at the end. Awesome finale to my favorite film trilogy ever.

I have seen the film twice now and have to say I put it right up there with BB. It's funny, I put 10/10 on IMDb for BB, so obviously I put that for TDKR, makes me wish there was an 11/10 for TDK.Anyway, I do have one issue that just nags me about this one. When Miranda is "caught, tried and sentenced" Bane tells his men to "bring her to me". But the very next scene she's at Wayne Tower with Fox as they unmask Bruce.I was like, WTF? I had figured she was Talia when Cotillard was cast so I was watching her character waiting for her to reveal herself, but for GA, why did Nolan basically show something was up with her then have the big "revelation" scene when she knifes Bats in the back? It just seems like the scene itself is out of order. Anyone else notice or is bugged by this?Other than that, I guess the only real beef I have is the Bruce's "teleportation" into Gotham. I know a traveling scene or an elaborate ruse to break back in would have slowed the film down when it was ramping up, but still...I cried when the half blind inmate said to not use the rope and at the end. Awesome finale to my favorite film trilogy ever.

Definitely had some editing issues. It feels like quite a bit was chopped, not only based on trailers (Alfred's line at the beginning of trailer 2 is a goner in the film) but also based on spy footage that was shot during filming. While following the film's development I was under the impression we would get more of the Howard Hughes version of Bruce, but that aspect is barely touched on. Jonah Nolan's first draft was 400 pages. Makes me wonder just how much got cut. Edited by redfirebird2008

Jonah Nolan's first draft was 400 pages. Makes me wonder just how much got cut.

Since a script for a flick like that should be something like 150-200 pages I would say... They cut a lot but still weren't able to boil it down to a really tight script.

You are obviously the person that needs to be shown everything if you can't understand how Bane's death is has more finality then the Jokers mysterious disappearance at the end of TDK.Item 1. Catwoman uses cannons on the batpod to blow up a wall of cars.Item 2. Catwoman uses same cannons that blew up wall of cars on Bane.End of story.Item 1. Joker is surrounded by SWAT team members. Item 2. ?Maybe you should watch the movie again before pretending you know everything,.

Oh please. Why do you think everything has to be wrapped up in a pretty pink bow? Joker is subdued and surrounded by police officers, anyone knows that he's under wraps. The implication is astoundingly clear.It's not a failing of TDK. It's a failing of TDKR to not even address the impact of the Joker for even 5 seconds.As for Bane, yeah his death is final, whoop-de-do. Doesn't mean it was executed well at all. In fact TDKR's handling of its villains is the one point I dislike about the film.I expected a bit more than resorting to a meme picture to try and make your case. Edited by 4815162342

It's a failing of TDKR to not even address the impact of the Joker for even 5 seconds.

I don't consider that a failing. Nolan didn't want to address it because of the tragedy with Ledger. I don't blame him at all. He and his editor had to deal with footage of Ledger for months after Ledger died. That was a fucked up situation for both of them.
  • Like 1

I don't consider that a failing. Nolan didn't want to address it because of the tragedy with Ledger. I don't blame him at all. He and his editor had to deal with footage of Ledger for months after Ledger died. That was a fucked up situation for both of them.

It's a failing if a person is like JackO and think TDK shit its pants in the end because it gave no resolution to the Joker.For normal people, while the omission is curious and maybe a little annoying, it's not something to gripe about.

It's a failing if a person is like JackO and think TDK shit its pants in the end because it gave no resolution to the Joker.For normal people, while the omission is curious and maybe a little annoying, it's not something to gripe about.

Oh, I agree with where you're coming from. Joker's ending was great in TDK. Thank goodness they didn't kill him off. We're left to think he gets thrown in prison and likely escapes at some point down the line, which is how the Joker should always be treated IMHO.

Bane's literal death was mishandled. I was fine with his last line ''You're just going to have to imagine the fire!'' and even Hathaway shooting him. But our last image of him is just dying in a corner. Compared to him the Joker went out on a huge high note.

• Like 2

Bane's literal death was mishandled. I was fine with his last line ''You're just going to have to imagine the fire!'' and even Hathaway shooting him. But our last image of him is just dying in a corner. Compared to him the Joker went out on a huge high note.

Literally, hanging high over the streets of Gotham, LHisAO.

I love that they left his fate hanging...again, literally.

• Like 1