baumer

The Amazing Spider-man 2 (2014)

130 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Is it a mess? Yes, but it's like that messy room your mom makes you wanna clean up but you're too lazy to do so cause you actually don't mind the mess. This is how I felt the movie was. It's not a bad movie, in fact I found it enjoyable. Andrew Garfield does a much better job than Tobey McGuire. And Gwen'd Stacy's death almost made my heart break cause I love Emma Stone and they were a cute couple. The movie just felt really rushed and idk I didn't really like Electro. I feel they should have used someone more interesting and well Harry was freaky looking but the dude is a good actor. Overall it isn't as bad as everyone says it was. Doesn't live up to it's potential but I see room for improvement. B

• Like 1

Gwen's death didn't do much for me because:

a.) That event is so well-known in Spider-Man mythos that it was inevitable that it would happen at some point.

b.) The graduation speech might as well have opened with: "Hey everyone, this is obvious foreshadowing for my death later on."

c.) The scenes leading up to her death are rushed.

d.) She's not in enough of the movie.

The composition of images in those scenes is great, but it didn't leave much of an emotional impact.

It was way more fun than the first one but nothing really noteworthy. Which pains because Spiderman has been my favorite superhero sinc forever.

The Good stuff. Part of the fun was the all around silliness. The action scenes, the villains motivations and performances and all those scenes with Spidey webslinging through buildings and being smartass with random criminals, all those things were very silly kind of like the spiderman saturday morning cartoons from the 90s. I know it sounds bad but I'm saying it as a compliment. These things made the movie more fun. The other good thing is Garfield and Stone. Their chemistry is so great that even if they decided to recast Stone as Mary Jane in the next one we'll all play along like it's the most natural thing to do.

The Bad stuff. Well, I loved the silliness and I loved the Peter-Gwen down to earth naturalistic romance butthey belong in different movies entirely. The tonal shifts  in this movie are so jarring from scene to scene that they make everything look uneven and unfinished. The main story was stupid which i didn't mind. What I did min was how slight it was. Electro was like a villain's first sidekick that normally spiderman defeats unceremoniously in the first 20 minutes. I guess that's exactly what Electro is in the grand scheme of the "Spiderman Universe" that Sony wants to build, but this is a terrible way to built a movie. It's one thing to just tease in the end that this story you just watched was just a small part of a much bigger story and another to treat it like set-up from the very first scene.

The Annoying stuff. It didn't happen as much as in the first Amazing Spiderman, but they way they try to turn Parker into a cool highschool  jock continues to annoy me beyond belief. I'm not one of the people whoget angry over the slightest change in a beloved book/comic etc, not at all. But this particucal change just feels so calculated and pandering from the studio. It's like they get Garfield is very popular with young girls and try to present him as swoon-worthy as possible in all the scenes we can see his face. And at the same time Peter Parker remains a "geek" in the script.

B-. My review looks more negative than that  but I really enjoyed the movie. It just bugs me that this is the best they could come up with for a Spider-Man movie. 

• Like 2

The movie was a mess. It had some good individual scenes and some really cool shots but they weren't enough to elevate such an underwhelming material. Too many characters, too many villains (all of them underdeveloped), too many plotlines (all of them rushed). A big disappointment.

• Like 1

So, my second viewing (on Blu-ray) only highlighted what I didn't like it the first go-around (and primarily afterwards as I thought more about it). The plot is non-existent, the villains are a complete waste, the lines are cheesy but not in a funny way and at 140-minutes, it does feel a bit too long, though not helped with additional characters. Then there's Harry. While I liked Dane DeHaan, that character should've just been introduced in this one and THEN become Spidey's archnemesis in the third, though I suppose they wanted to avoid the comparisons with Spider-Man 3... As it is, his character, and subsequent development (which is a whole other can of worms*), is rushed.

Now, I do admire the visual effects, costume designs (save for Electro's imprisoned part where he looked like Mr. Freeze) and although the character wasn't well written, Andrew Garfield wasn't bad and his scenes with Emma Stone were great.

**¼/*****, (C-, 4.6/10, 1.75/4)

* Why Peter was such a dick and didn't give him his blood still makes no sense. He's afraid it'd kill Harry? Well, Harry was already on his way, although he seemed to deteriorate, mentally, at a faster rate even before he took the venom.

• Like 2

* Why Peter was such a dick and didn't give him his blood still makes no sense. He's afraid it'd kill Harry? Well, Harry was already on his way, although he seemed to deteriorate, mentally, at a faster rate even before he took the venom.

He thought Harry would mutate and/or go completely batshit crazy like Curt Connors. This movie has its flaws but THAT is not one of them. Peter actually says, "When Connors took my blood..." It was a pretty reasonable concern to have.

• Like 1

Is it a mess? Yes, but it's like that messy room your mom makes you wanna clean up but you're too lazy to do so cause you actually don't mind the mess. This is how I felt the movie was.It's not a bad movie, in fact I found it enjoyable. Andrew Garfield does a much better job than Tobey McGuire. And Gwen'd Stacy's death almost made my heart break cause I love Emma Stone and they were a cute couple. The movie just felt really rushed and idk I didn't really like Electro. I feel they should have used someone more interesting and well Harry was freaky looking but the dude is a good actor. Overall it isn't as bad as everyone says it was. Doesn't live up to it's potential but I see room for improvement.B

This is pretty much how I feel but I'm a Spider-Fan so instead of a B, I give it a B+ because I enjoy it just for the fact that there are Spider-Man scenes. And, honestly, this film nails the costume better than any. So, visually, it's a feast...which also describes Emma Stone.  :D 

• Like 1

He thought Harry would mutate and/or go completely batshit crazy like Curt Connors. This movie has its flaws but THAT is not one of them. Peter actually says, "When Connors took my blood..." It was a pretty reasonable concern to have.

Yeah, that is true.

• Like 1

Yeah, that is true.

In that instance, I feel folks who are calling Peter a dick are kind of reacting like Harry instead of trying to understand where Peter was coming from. I liked the line where Harry Goblin says, "You don't give hope, Peter, you take away hope!" That kind of weird misunderstanding and false sense of persecution is the number one problem why friendships and relationships break. I just wish the movie had focused more on Harry's psyche and jaded outlook instead of wasting time on campy Rhino and Kafka. They probably didn't want to retread Harry Osborn's story arc from the Raimi films too much but Dane DeHaan was approaching the role in a completely different way than James Franco. So they might as well have made Peter, Gwen and Harry and their inter-relationships the focus of the movie.

Would have given Gwen's death and Harry's fall more pathos and poignancy.

it would have been better if Peter had given the blood and that is what causes Harry to mutate into the Goblin

• Like 1

Connors never took Peter's blood. He injected himself with his own developed lizard based serum.

I really liked Amazing Spider-Man 2 even though it had some flaws. The opening scene when Spidey is flying around NY is fantastic, best costume and the 3D effects were great. 

Garfield and Stone again spark as Peter and Gwen, they are great on screen and you buy their relationship. Her death was sad even though I knew it was coming. Harry + Peter are great too and DeHaan was awesome, just wanted to see a bit more of him. 

Foxx was good for what he was given, which is probably one of the weakest characters in the film. His action scenes with Spidey were fun though and loved the music in the Times Square scene. 

What I really liked about this film compared to other CBM's was you see Spidey saving a lot of people, being a Hero. Not just by beating the villain. The scene with the little boy is one of my favourite scenes in CBM's this year. 

Sony kinda screwed up the movie by wanting to have too many Sinister Six tie ins. It's what also ruined Iron Man 2. Too much future set up hurts the films narrative. I can't wait to get it on disc so I can watch all the deleted scenes. 

B+

• Like 2

Re-watched this with my bro. He saw it for the first time. I liked it now just as much as in the theatre. Really solid and the best SH movie the year. My brother laughed at times and 'whoa'-d a lot :lol: He liked it more than the first one. The only thing that pissed him off was Gwen's death at the end. I found it really fitting. The best thing about the whole movie is DeHaan. From playing a spoiled brat-a friend and a psycho, the guy did it perfectly. It was one of those movies where I rooted for the bad guy. Really neat overall.

A

• Like 1