Fancyarcher

Weekend #'s April 18-20 Cap2: 26.2 Rio 22.5 Heaven 21.5 Trans 11.1 pg32

Looks like WB knew it early, which explains the total lack of marketing. There are already huge billboards for Godzilla in LA, but none for Transcendence.

Would be cheaper to make Transcendence VOD...

This is like MNS level failure. Critically trashed and mega bomb. Pfister should go back to what works for him though Nolan might have a effective new partnership with Hoyte.

Pfister should probably try something small and small budget flick as a director and if that still does not work should find work as a cinematographer.

• Like 2

Pfister should probably try something small and small budget flick as a director and if that still does not work should find work as a cinematographer.

Lol, I'm sure that won't be problem. But I agree, he should have started small. Hell, from the sounds of it Transcendence could have been a cool, small sci-fi movie. Instead it has Depp and someone decided to give it an unnecessarily large budget.

• Like 4

• Founder / Operator

Is it a badly directed movie, or is the script just lackluster? It's obviously a terrible start for his directing career but Hollywood isn't shy of giving second chances.

My humble opinion: I've seen far worse movies that aimed for lower ambitions. The RT score reads to me more like disappointment over Nolan mimickry throughout the film... in addition to the script, which really had potential but needed serious work.

I found it hard to sympathize with any of the characters outside of a few moments with Hall and Bettany. The entire narrative just felt like it was bouncing from one scene to the next. Again though, I think that's largely due to Pfister's inexperience directing and will probably improve over time. I just think he should stay away from casting so many "Nolan regulars".

Even the first and final shots of the film, as well the order of credits, were designed to feel like a Nolan movie. Visually, Pfister knew what he was doing for the most part. He just needs to make a Wally Pfister movie--whatever that may be--next time.

• Like 5

Gee seems like every actor has this rough bump.

Funny how 10 years ago though who would of though RDJ be a big star? (Depp was not yet considered major remember that-there was a thread about it on BOM) Some thought Smith was not major at that time (who knows why) and of course Hanks was considered major but then he had a few bad years.

Cruise is bigger then some say but not as near as big as he use to be. (Arnolds problem is that both political parties dislike him now it seems)

Who knows this film could be a cult hit someday. (on a similar note recently I was reading how tons of Disney classics were hated when they were released)

Anyway-nice for Heaven is Real.

• Like 1

Looks like WB knew it early, which explains the total lack of marketing. There are already huge billboards for Godzilla in LA, but none for Transcendence.

Damn Jupiter Ascending is next. They are not hyping it up

With no Harry Potter or Batman, Warner Brothers is fucked.

Their hopes are:

JLA universe

JA  :ph34r: and Godzilla launching a franchise

6-film Arthur

Though to be fair WB does produces original breakout hits consistently - Hangover, Gravity, Lego Movie that earn as much as the big films.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 6

Dom crowd is such a disappointment on some movies what's their beef ? Transcendence looks like such a cool movie if you're into that sort of stuff but I guess they're not I refuse to think the movie sucks of course I have no clue as I haven't seen it yet But if this is getting lukewarm response , I wonder what that means for my other fav trailer godzilla eek