grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

Why the should show It to critics one month before? If It's the case It would be an embargo so what's the result in terms of pushing the movie?.

Avatar has been shown to critics only 10 days before. 

Sales are good, people interested just need other people interested to tell them they like It or not.

This movie really don't need reviews, It needs good wom like avatar and super Mario.

Anyway i don't think it's gonna be acclaimed, It Will be average, like 70-75 metacritic range. 

Edited by vale9001

4 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

this might not get great reviews , its a meta comedy toy commercial about plastic dolls. who cares who is involved with the production , Spielberg gave us Transformers films and critics dumped on it.

Spielberg didn't direct or write It. Why are you talking about?. 

7 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

its a movie made to sell toys, so i would not expect glowing reviews. Speilberg was involved in the first Transformers

every sequel of toy story Is made for the same reason. Nolan Batman Trilogy was "made" to sell Toys and to make money.

This doesn't mean screenplayers and directors can't reach a great achviement. 

Transformers is not a Steven Spielberg movie. I'm not even talking if It's good or not, Just are two very different situation .

Edited by vale9001

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Will they tweet reactions or are they under embargo? If the people invited are under embargo, what's the point?

https://letterboxd.com/jamiecinematics/film/barbie/

Cause embargo written with two hearts makes you think "that means is good?".

So more mystery and hype.

I'm kidding, i don't know 😅

Edited by vale9001

Ok, an explanation finally. Most of people watching the movie today is people that is part of junkets and interviews.

From what i understand, that means most watching the movie now is only because they’re press and WB is just avoiding lack of press coverage in case SAG strikes next weekend. 

Since most critics from big outlets usually doesn’t do interviews etc, they’re not watching. Influencers otherwise usually do it, so they’re watching. 

The fact that they’re holding regular screenings for the same day of Oppenheimer is hilarious tho. I really think this war is going to benefit both greatly.

18 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Ok, an explanation finally. Most of people watching the movie today is people that is part of junkets and interviews.

From what i understand, that means most watching the movie now is only because they’re press and WB is just avoiding lack of press coverage in case SAG strikes next weekend. 

Since most critics from big outlets usually doesn’t do interviews etc, they’re not watching. Influencers otherwise usually do it, so they’re watching. 

The fact that they’re holding regular screenings for the same day of Oppenheimer is hilarious tho. I really think this war is going to benefit both greatly.

It says they’re holding them the same day AND time - that suggests they’re making critics choose which one to go to? Why?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Redolent said:

It says they’re holding them the same day AND time - that suggests they’re making critics choose which one to go to? Why?

To generate hype imo

The discussion about both movies on social media isn’t necessarily which one you will see, is more of which one you’ll se first 

They probably doing the same logic for critics screenings knowing it’s probably gonna create buzz on social media 

8 minutes ago, Redolent said:

If you make critics choose, then you’re going to get people who really want to watch Barbie, hence guaranteeing more positive reviews. Again, could be fear of negative publicity/ insecurity. 

If you're really really afraid of reviews you can have an embargo until the day of the release if you want. And even Press screenings Just some day before. 

They are doing them 3 weeks prior the movie and the same day as Oppenheimer, so i don't see any strange thing.

Then what you can say can be also true, nothing wrong to have a strategy to get more positive reactions you can, but doesn't mean cause they fear the movie is gonna be like panned or something this tragic.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1