grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Also, he isn't the lead, far from it. Just one of many Kens. It's a bit different when you headline the movie. They can put him on character posters but lead he ain't so it's more forgivable when an actor is just a background player.

Yeah, you are right! I just placed him as I was surprised too. I got 9 character promotion from Warner Bros (adding some more)

003-EAci4gy1hfknejkdamj60qo0xctid02.jpg

003-EAci4gy1hfkneit713j60qo0xc4a002.jpg

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

And she is 100% right. 

I don't see the point of shaming people for being excited about the Barbie, nor do I get why some are upset over the fact that Mattel has other movies in the production. By the end of the day, if future Mattel movies are nothing more than bad glorified toy commercials audiences will treat those films the same way they are currently treating the DCEU and other failed franchises

As for barbie Greta Gerwig clearly has not forgotten about Barbie long and controversial history since one of the trailers literally says "if you hate barbie this movie if for you" lol

Edited by roxas11
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

And she is 100% right. 

who exactly is "everyone". even the film did not forget about this. but yeah I guess since mattell is behind this one people should ignore the film and go watch something from the other big corporations who really care about our feelings instead!

holy hypocrisy, come on now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

who exactly is "everyone". even the film did not forget about this. but yeah I guess since mattell is behind this one people should ignore the film and go watch something from the other big corporations who really care about our feelings instead!

holy hypocrisy, come on now.

Someone seems mad Barbara is coming for Tom, Indiana and Papa Nolan ass*s 🤭

Edited by vale9001
  • Heart 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Weren't people claiming Shang-Chi was banned because of Simu Liu's comments about China? Guess that was BS if Barbie is not only being released there with Liu in the cast, but also putting up posters of him.

Yeah, it seems to have been beef with Marvel in general that started around Black Widow and ended while Wakanda Forever was in theatres. Ppl just made up BS reasons as to why each film that came out in that timeframe was banned.

The funniest was NWH and the Statue of Liberty :rofl:

• Like 1

I’m starting to think there’s no way this isnt the biggest opening of the summer. Biggest of the year would be wild, but maybe given Mario’s Wed release. And I’m talking DOM, I’ve never had much of a pulse on this OS. Just known for months it’s gonna be gigantic DOM. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Weren't people claiming Shang-Chi was banned because of Simu Liu's comments about China? Guess that was BS if Barbie is not only being released there with Liu in the cast, but also putting up posters of him.

It did seem for a while like the CCP was in the process of phasing out Hollywood movies in general. 

• Like 1

Amazing reviews and WOM: 150/525

Bad reviews and WOM: 105/230

Right now thinking 425-450 range is the most likely, but let it be known I was talking about 500 potential for this back at the beginning of the year already 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m starting to think there’s no way this isnt the biggest opening of the summer. Biggest of the year would be wild, but maybe given Mario’s Wed release. And I’m talking DOM, I’ve never had much of a pulse on this OS. Just known for months it’s gonna be gigantic DOM. 

I think 100M OW is locked at this point now question is how much over it. SV opened with 120M. Can't figure out if Mario's 146M is Fri-Sun or Wed-Sun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The legs will be the truly interesting part to watch. This has the potential for a massively frontloaded implosion if the target audience hates it, or to become a leggy juggernaut monster if WOM is great and spreads throughout the zeitgeist. Have always leaned towards latter of course given the talent involved here. Gosling particularly doesn’t strike me as the type to easily hop on a movie like this if it was your throwaway blockbuster cash in type of script. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The legs will be the truly interesting part to watch. This has the potential for a massively frontloaded implosion if the target audience hates it, or to become a leggy juggernaut monster if WOM is great and spreads throughout the zeitgeist. Have always leaned towards latter of course given the talent involved here. Gosling particularly doesn’t strike me as the type to easily hop on a movie like this if it was your throwaway blockbuster cash in type of script. 

I think it'll play really well with the target audience - marketing is on point and doesn't spread itself too thin trying to attract everyone - and that will attract other audiences to check it out to know what the buzz is all about. A watercooler success.

there's nothing like it in the cinemas.

Edited by Valonqar

no it's not beating Mario cause there is too much competition and very few premium screens, plus mario was more appealing to both little boys and little girls.

While in this case a lot of male adults are interested because of Greta and Noah + Robbie and Gosling of course most little boys don't care about it. 

I think the most it can get is 120M. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

no it's not beating Mario cause there is too much competition and very few premium screens, plus mario was more appealing to both little boys and little girls.

While in this case a lot of male adults are interested because of Greta and Noah + Robbie and Gosling of course most little boys don't care about it. 

I think the most it can get is 120M. 

The kid male demo is hardly a necessity for it to open huge. I don’t even think kids are needed here much at all honestly. Any kids it gets is just an added bonus. 

• Like 1