grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

it should be Celine Dion with updated Titanic theme. That remix out there right has some potential

"Keeeeeeeep....that subbbb.....upppppppp aboooveeeeeee"

Edited by excel1

13 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The hype for this movie is fascinating, it became viral on social media for no specific reason. Hollywood studios may try but I doubt they will ever be able to replicate what happened here.

They should give 30M to meryl Streep for Devil wears Prada 2 and 120M for the First weekend.

These male producer just underestimate women and gays and can only think to action flicks. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

The hype for this movie is fascinating, it became viral on social media for no specific reason. Hollywood studios may try but I doubt they will ever be able to replicate what happened here.

Wrong. It was Gosling as Ken that started it. The moment shooting photos dropped everyone was talking about him and that kicked off the buzz.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Wrong. It was Gosling as Ken that started it. The moment shooting photos dropped everyone was talking about him and that kicked off the buzz.

I had no idea they were even making a barbie movie until I saw those first set images of Gosling as Ken. I agree with you that those set images defiantly kicked off the buzz and awareness for this film

14 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Wasn't the first Barbie material we got just a pic of Margot laughing inside a car? I remember even that one went viral immediately.

yes but it was Ken photos (Ken and Barbie with roller blades) that started the widespread buzz. Gosling as Ken was everywhere. Heck look at my avatar. it's from then.

Edited by Valonqar

12 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Wasn't the first Barbie material we got just a pic of Margot laughing inside a car? I remember even that one went viral immediately.

First thing ever was Margot and Ryan on set in the beach for the scene with the roller skates.

But people were definitely interested since Greta and Noah were announced.

This made people interested.

Of course if this was a Sony movie directed by the Smurfs director with commercial actors milleniall women wouldn't care.

The factor Always has been all these oscars winners- nominated artists attached to It in basically every aspect .

Even the cinematography is made by a main Scorsese- inarritu collaborator. 

Edited by vale9001

I think this is a perfect marriage of 2 lead actors and their roles and its definitely helping buzz.

A new type of star power. I don't think either of them instantly make any movie they're in a hit (obviously given their numerous underperformers) but the right persona in the right role instantly becomes a draw similar to Phoenix as Joker. This is happening again. 

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Not sure I agree. They had a specific strategy with social media and it’s playing off. Why it’s working is likely the heavy irony from the film and it’s use of colour/music.

26 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

First thing ever was Margot and Ryan on set in the beach for the scene with the roller skates.

Of course if this was a Sony movie directed by the Smurfs director with commercial actors milleniall women wouldn't care.

The factor Always has been all these oscars winners- nominated artists attached to It in basically every aspect .

Even the cinematography is made by a main Scorsese- inarritu collaborator. 

I don't think many people know who any of the creators are. I never heard of either, never even heard of any of Gerwigs movies, while I'm closer to the film industry than the average person. I can't imagine my sisters or any of my friends knowing them. I don't say this as a bad thing though b/c this does show how important the initial fanbase is at generating hype and spreading the marketing.

27 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

The interest was there since it became a Greta/Baumbach/Robbie project, I agree. And it was really buzzed about throughout the endless cast anouncements starting with Gosling, while at the same time Oppenheimer was casting the other half of Hollywood

Then they released the barbie in a car first photo, and a month after the Gosling first look pic and somewhere in between the anounced the release date and Barbenheimer was born.

The roller blade looks on the beach that went mega-viral was a couple of months after that. There was huge online interest about that movie from the start.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rebelscum86 said:

I don't think many people know who any of the creators are. I never heard of either, never even heard of any of Gerwigs movies, while I'm closer to the film industry than the average person. I can't imagine my sisters or any of my friends knowing them. I don't say this as a bad thing though b/c this does show how important the initial fanbase is at generating hype and spreading the marketing.

millenial women know who is greta gerwig. Tik tok is full of videos from her movies made with pop songs and everything. She is already super cult, her last 2 movies have been Best picture nominated. It's important for american women,

Then of course there is interest for being barbie too and there is an audience it's just interested for the brand of barbie but the name involved made the phenomenon cause they create buzz and a mistery...

again if this would have been just a "the smurf look like" movie about Barbie The princess right now only kids would care and it wouldn't be a pop phenomenon.

Edited by vale9001

4 hours ago, excel1 said:

I think this is a perfect marriage of 2 lead actors and their roles and its definitely helping buzz.

A new type of star power. I don't think either of them instantly make any movie they're in a hit (obviously given their numerous underperformers) but the right persona in the right role instantly becomes a draw similar to Phoenix as Joker. This is happening again. 

We aren't prepared for the Phoenix/Gaga as Joker/Harley mania next year

• Like 1