grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

3 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

A Barbie movie being political? What?

I mean anything is possible for the current Hollywood industry bht if they manage to make Barbie political that would be a new low.

So no I don't think it's happening.

We already know it’s a deconstructionist take, so it depends what you mean by ‘political’.

5 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

A Barbie movie being political? What?

I mean anything is possible for the current Hollywood industry bht if they manage to make Barbie political that would be a new low.

So no I don't think it's happening.

Barbie is one of the most harmful toys/image of the last 100 years.
They had to include a "girl boss" feminist angle. Although Amy Schumer was right (never though I'd say this) that the feminist message goes against the very essence of Barbie. A movie that captures how crassly harmful Barbie is, like a Beavis & Butthead vibe, would have been more honest and true to the brand. 

• ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

yeah a lot of critics were really really harsh on dune too. My point.

also we have like 3-4 reactions from official critics and without saying "a triumph,a classic, a never seen masterpiece!" in my opinion they are all well above a 6/10. No one is saying "the movie is bad or a failed thing".

Dune avg scores on RT 

7.6/10 normal

7.7/10 top critics

Far from 6/10s like dial of destiny.

Still see like 60-70rt but with with low 6s average.

Dune was more like joker sort of. Some mixed reactions but with high avg score.

Barbie  critical wise could fall closer to Indy 5 than Dune.

Wouldn't be surprised with Mario situation either .

But let's see what more reactions bring.

3 minutes ago, Flopped said:

They had to include a "girl boss" feminist angle. Although Amy Schumer was right (never though I'd say this) that the feminist message goes against the very essence of Barbie. A movie that captures how crassly harmful Barbie is, like a Beavis & Butthead vibe, would have been more honest and true to the brand. 

I think the criticism against Barbie is extremely overblown. A doll isn’t the cause of unrealistic beauty standards or racism. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Dune avg scores on RT 

7.6/10 normal

7.7/10 top critics

Dune was more like joker sort of. Some mixed reactions but with high avg score.

Barbie  critical wise could fall closer to Indy 5 than Dune.

ok

not for me, exactly what i'm expecting with these is a lot in the middle, some very very positive review and so negative reviews. 

12 minutes ago, Flopped said:

yeah, perhaps my main interest in the movie is seeing how it grapples with this. One person’s feminist reclamation is another’s ‘having your cake and eating it,’ and I’m curious what side I’ll end up on. 

20 minutes ago, Flopped said:

barbie was higly feminist

before her dolls for women were just little babies doll you have to feed. Barbie was an adult woman, can make every job (she was an astronaut in 1967, 2 years before the moon landing was a real thing. In real story they were all men btw), just have a boyfriend for life, her friends etc...

Tell me about a doll being harmful when everything before tell little girls they have to be mothers and your play as little women is to feed your child.

Also again....black barbie exists from the 60s...as a lot of types of barbies.

The most progressive thing 80 years after has its problematic thing and it's not intelligent to judge a thing only with a modern lens without a context.

Also i don't get why someone is worried about Barbie body (it's like 25 years barbie is not thin anymore but body positive) but no one complains about all these  dolls for boys ala rambo full of muscles selling a precise idea of masculine body too lol 

As playing with soldiers, playing with fire trucks gives to boys a precise idea of what a boy have to became as an adult too.

Well barbie was a fireman already 40 years ago.

No question everyting deserves to be updated constantly to be on pair with modern sensibilities but you can't delete what really revolutionary was in this doll, while being ok withh everyting is sold to boys too. Like girls are always these fragile creatures need to be protected. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 3

im not here for some intellectual stimulation from a post modern Barbie movie , my concern is that the movie might not be that funny as its pretending to be. Like im getting the Jump street vibe from it but only 50% jokes landing.

Ryan is doing his best Johnny Bravo impression so whole thing seems like Johnny Bravo episode but for Barbie ??

4 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

im not here for some intellectual stimulation from a post modern Barbie movie , my concern is that the movie might not be that funny as its pretending to be. Like im getting the Jump street vibe from it but only 50% jokes landing.

Ryan is doing his best Johnny Bravo impression so whole thing seems like Johnny Bravo episode but for Barbie ??

That is going to come down to your own personal taste' when it comes to comedy

Even if critics gave the movie a 99 on RT, you personally may still think that film was painfully unfunny because by the end of the day humor is very subjective

• Like 3

So most reactions are indeed from influencers and random nobodies? That lines up with reports they didn't show it to most professional critics yet. It's suspicious, along with reports they set press screening for the same day and time as Oppenheimer ones.

Edited by TomThomas
  • ...wtf 2

3 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

So most reactions are indeed from influencers and random nobodies? That lines up with reports they didn't show to real professional critics. It's suspicious, along with reports they set press screening for the same day and time as Oppenheimer ones.

This is how most premieres are, it doesn't really mean anything.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

So most reactions are indeed from influencers and random nobodies? That lines up with reports they didn't show it to most professional critics yet. It's suspicious, along with reports they set press screening for the same day and time as Oppenheimer ones.

Most premieres are like this. They don't invite critics to red carpet premieres. Sometimes they screen movies beforehand and sometimes they don't.

They don't have to go through all this trouble to hide it if a movie is bad. Some bad movies don't even screen for critics and have embargo till the day of. This is not the case.

5 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

This is how most premieres are, it doesn't really mean anything.

Yes and no, when they are confident about the movie, they show it to everyone, not just specific easy to please or pay crowd to spread hype.

Edited by TomThomas

5 minutes ago, Yojimbo said:

Most premieres are like this. They don't invite critics to red carpet premieres. Sometimes they screen movies beforehand and sometimes they don't.

They don't have to go through all this trouble to hide it if a movie is bad. Some bad movies don't even screen for critics and have embargo till the day of. This is not the case.

That’s the point - they’re lifting the embargo early, and everyone is thinking ‘great, a sign of confidence!’ But in actual fact, it’s screening to the majority of critics a week after. So you lift the embargo and for a week you have only reviews from the cherrypicked critics that you’ve shown the movie to until that point.

It’s dishonest and deceptive. This isn’t even about Barbie - it’s about WB and their dumbass, Flash-style tactics. 

• Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

9 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Yes and no, when they are confident about the movie, they show it to everyone, not just specific easy to please or pay crowd to spread hype.

You don't lift the review embargo 8 days ahead of the release date for a film you don't expect to be well-reviewed.

12 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

it's the same for every movie please. 

these are the reactions for spider man...they are just well selected people likely to like a movie like that. 

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/spider-man-across-the-spider-verse-reactions-1235624765/

burtbetween  these "easy to please" people "like everythin cause they are invited" there is for example this user that disliked spider man but loved loved Barbie. He's not like top critic of course but not "casual people". He's a member of Dorian awards and Film indipendent association. 

Edited by vale9001

6 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

But on the flip side if they were not confident there is no chance they would be letting the review Embargo Lift several days before the film's official release day

4 minutes ago, Redolent said:

That’s the point - they’re lifting the embargo early, and everyone is thinking ‘great, a sign of confidence!’ But in actual fact, it’s screening to the majority of critics a week after. So you lift the embargo and for a week you have only reviews from the cherrypicked critics that you’ve shown the movie to until that point.

It’s dishonest and deceptive. This isn’t even about Barbie - it’s about WB and their dumbass, Flash-style tactics. 

So, let me get this straight. Review embargo lifts tomorrow, but not all critics got to see it??? The majority of critics will see it next week?