grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

4 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Yea it is too much for the same people who are spending 5 hours straight binge watching crap at home? Gimme a break. It's a perfect double bill. An epic, serious, thriller that gets you gripped washed down with an amazing, uplifting Barbie. Two great films.

Perfect double bill.

I do double bills every saturday night in my house, so Barbenheimer will be a walk in the park for me. :)

Edited by Boxx93

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Truly, without question, one of the great film marketing campaigns in history. It may be a 'toy adaption' but it is not a sequel or comic book origin film with inherent huge appeal. This felt like a $40m opener when first announced. 

The director and the screenplayers made a movie out of the schemes and unpredictable, and still today people are feeling like "how exactly this gonna be?". This kind of mistery is pushing the hype higher and higher 

A normal Barbie movie made for children-kids, like you know those animated Barbie movies translated to live action, could have been unventful and just a children movie ala The smurs,  as you said with like a 40-50M potential and that's all.

Kudos to Warner for always being the more risky with big progects, cause with every other Major we would get that I feel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Truly, without question, one of the great film marketing campaigns in history. It may be a 'toy adaption' but it is not a sequel or comic book origin film with inherent huge appeal. This felt like a $40m opener when first announced. 

Barbie is a big brand with huge appeal. Barbie doll sales in 2020 were $1.35 billion. Barbie is actually the biggest competitor for Frozen and Disney Princess merchandise. People were underestimating this movie because its production company is WB not Disney.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Barbie is a big brand with huge appeal. Barbie doll sales in 2020 were $1.35 billion. Barbie is actually the biggest competitor for Frozen and Disney Princess merchandise. People were underestimating this movie because its production company is WB not Disney.

Disney princess are created after the successfull movies, seems very different.

Making a successfull Barbie movie Is not granted.

Wb was great to involve the most relevant director for millennial women not only to direct but to write It. 

Are we acting live having 2 oscar winner screenplayer plus 2 oscar nominated directors for a Barbie movie is something granted?.

This made milleniall woman interested, they wouldn't watch a Barbie movie for children, something like the Smurfs or the Pokémon.

Also they were successful with the g zen and again with the name involved seems like they created a movie is appealing to audience of not pure commercial movies.

So It's unfair to see "It was a phenomenon we could expect anyway" cause It's not. The names involved made It an event especially cause they gave to it more hype ...."how this Is gonna be and about what exactly?", so the mystery.

1 hour ago, Willowra said:

Barbie is a big brand but a Barbie film wasn't an easy sell at all. Obviously there was a lot of potential here, especially if the film is well-received which I fully expect, but it really needed the right marketing campaign to dig it out.

Yeh, Barbie is a well known brand. That doesn’t mean the film was always going to be a hit at all. So many other contributing factors. And it’s still not out so we’ll have to wait and see. 

I was predicting $30-40m opening weekend. But yeh, not going revisionist and pretending that this film wasn’t a huge risk. 

8 hours ago, vale9001 said:

The director and the screenplayers made a movie out of the schemes and unpredictable, and still today people are feeling like "how exactly this gonna be?". This kind of mistery is pushing the hype higher and higher 

A normal Barbie movie made for children-kids, like you know those animated Barbie movies translated to live action, could have been unventful and just a children movie ala The smurs,  as you said with like a 40-50M potential and that's all.

Kudos to Warner for always being the more risky with big progects, cause with every other Major we would get that I feel. 

Weirdly, WB's biggest hits with a couple of exceptions have always been one that didn't look like a sure fire on paper. American Sniper comes to mind as well as Gravity. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Weirdly, WB's biggest hits with a couple of exceptions have always been one that didn't look like a sure fire on paper. American Sniper comes to mind as well as Gravity. 

warner has a great history of very surprising results . Of course Matrix and 300 too.

To be fair the marketing success isn’t mainly WB from what I read Mattel has been securing many of these deals like the Xbox and Burger King deals for the film. We will see how much WB had to do with marketing once we see how their next films are marketed. Luckily for WB Mattel did the majority of the marketing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Oh it is absolutely one of the best movie marketing campaigns ever. The social media marketing + tie ins have been in another stratosphere 

It is indeed. At first thought the was going to be a midsize hit (200M DOM/480M WW) beacuse I considered the male demography wouldn't watch a Barbie movie at theatres, but due the viral buzz and the marketing campaign, I have heard that many of my male friends are intrested in this,