grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

44 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lmfao, I’m honestly so glad this is going to be massive considering all the crap it’s gotten online over the months with stupid lowball predictions, it’s gonna suck, etc etc. Even now from its own studio lol 

Well It's pretty normal for a studio to make a lower than the others prediction. But they should have said at least 90M imo. 

1 hour ago, upriser7 said:

Humor in these trailers so far has just not worked for me....even the flat feet joke in the main trailer released last month didn't land for me. Hope the humor in movie is much better than whatever has been shown so far in these trailers

Same here but I’m seeing the blowout early screening tomorrow and I’m sure it’ll be better in such a huge setting. At least I hope so! 
ppaFuYQ.gif

I get being worried about Gerwig not doing original stuff, but also, it's not like Narnia is some cynical IP. It's probably the most respected book series of the 20th century after Lord of the Rings. Feels much closer to a Dune type of project if done right. I don't think it's fair to compare it to Disney remakes or superhero stuff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TinaDuraes said:

I get being worried about Gerwig not doing original stuff, but also, it's not like Narnia is some cynical IP. It's probably the most respected book series of the 20th century after Lord of the Rings. Feels much closer to a Dune type of project if done right. I don't think it's fair to compare it to Disney remakes or superhero stuff.

Uh, "Little Woman" was not exactly original material...........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think the difficulty with Narnia is that the later books are a little problematic especially the last one The Last Battle which CS Lewis really screwed over Susan. 

I feel like Gerwig, if she gets to that point, would probably really explore that. She's a smart filmmaker and I trust her judgment in handling the more problematic stuff like that.

Personally, I'm hoping she handles The Magician's Nephew first.

18 minutes ago, TinaDuraes said:

Yes novels are kinda of serious. I don't know if people know the books material but shouldn't judge narnia universe from its disneyed version. 

You can make them again with a very different approach. 

2 hours ago, upriser7 said:

Humor in these trailers so far has just not worked for me....even the flat feet joke in the main trailer released last month didn't land for me. Hope the humor in movie is much better than whatever has been shown so far in these trailers

I have no doubt that the film will have some humorous moments largely thanks to Ryan gosling crazy performance as ken, but I am not under any illusion that Barbie is the type of film that would ever have me laughing out loud. At best I my chuckle at some scenes, but overall I am far more interested in the film for its more dramatic elements than I am in its comedy 

Honestly, I'm kind of hoping this movie is more like Greta Gerwig previous film lady bird and less like a straightforward comedy parody

Edited by roxas11

31 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Yes novels are kinda of serious. I don't know if people know the books material but shouldn't judge narnia universe from its disneyed version. 

You can make them again with a very different approach. 

Agreed. That being said, the Disney films are very, very solid so I would rather them focus on starting by adapting novels/material that hasn't really been touched yet by those versions.