grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

11 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I don't understand people calling movies like this woke and paint it like it's a bad thing. Like wtf, the themes and lessons here are reflected in real life. That's reality. And maybe some are just angry about this depiction because they can't handle the truth.

Coz people who use 'woke' as a bad thing don't have brains unfortunately. MAGAism is, underneath all of the other layers of BS, a refusal to grow up and to continue living in the hopes of bringing back a fantasy world that never really existed. This film is all about growing up and facing reality head on. Obviously ppl are going to throw crybaby tantrums over it.

I am curious how ACTUAL kids will handle this though. My late night screening had none (fortunately?) but it was still fun as half the theatre, including me, were in pink 💗 

• Like 5

I was positive as I said but i was expecting A-. But apparently family with Kids, at least at the previews, were around the 20%.

So even if someone was negative cause "It's not the Barbie for the Kids" the rest was so positive  the average is a perfect store. 

Anyway my sister is 13 and she loved  it. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was a bit whelmed by this. It’s refreshing to get another blockbuster in the vein of Enchanted and Pleasantville, or Elf, but I don’t think Barbie can really compare to those movies. Still had a good time, but I think this proves people are itching for ANYTHING somewhat outside the CBM/long running, testosterone heavy action franchise mould. 

Edited by ListenHunnyUrOver

On 7/20/2023 at 3:49 AM, WittyUsername said:

Lol, that Christian Toto guy complained that this movie has a “man-hating agenda.”  

I swear these people are just looking for an excuse to hate on pink. Spoiler rant incoming. The movie literally has an entire plot line about:

Spoiler

how boys are not taught how to deal with their emotions so instead they cling to the patriarchy and actually get denied an identity separated from masculinity. The whole movie teaches that Barbie and Ken don't have to fit with expectations. THe movie has a lot of empathy for the Kens. 

The specific song that they were playing on the beach plays into this theme too (a gf's mental space who abused one of the band members). It's not just a toxic place the Kens fell to but also their relationship to Barbie and how women felt those same things, so the problem isn't going to be found from the sexes alienating each other or we'll just end up causing the same hurt in each other over and over like a metronome. It's not only Ken realizing he can be just Ken. Barbie also realizes that Ken's existence isn't only in relation to her and when she thinks of him that way it does hurts him, just like she can be hurt that way too. Love this

Barbieland makes more sense when you realize it's not a society but an analogy for mental space of women to dream about their potential in life. Anyways end of the day it's about working through what society puts upon us in different ways and the confusion that's pretty much normal in life and growing up together.

Greta is giving out great free life advice but there'll be those idiots that say the movie is anti-men. But this will def be driven by toxic conservatives grifters who need the hate to drive their profits.

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 4
  • Heart 1

4 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

I swear these people are just looking for an excuse to hate on pink. Spoiler rant incoming. The movie literally has an entire plot line about:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

"Man-hating" is not the word I would use, but all the male characters in the film are depicted in pretty stereotypical ways. You can argue that was part of the story with the Kens (it generally fell flat for me), but even in the real world every single male character is either incompetent, annoying, or actively malicious. Alan is probably the only exception but even he is portrayed as pretty much just self-interested.

And of course at the end of the movie, Barbieland sexism is made "like the real world" where the Kens are handed some scraps while the Barbies retain all the real power. Felt like the movie was intending to depict it as a mirror to real-life society, but it's muddled by how the ending is portrayed as some kind of happy victory for the Barbies when really the whole movie just had Barbieland switching between different oppressive systems. Plus it is not really believable that all the Kens would just accept going back to being second-class citizens after they had gotten a taste of being the oppressors. The way that subplot was resolved so quickly and neatly again contributed to them seeming like a bunch of incompetent doormats who are pretty much inferior to the Barbies in every way, which in turn muddles the message of "Ken has value independently of Barbie." In general "Battle of the Sexes" stuff like this can be pretty fraught and I don't think this movie had the nuance to do it correctly. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

29 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

All the snooty high brow crowd liking it actually kind of puts me off from seeing it. Maybe next week.

The Secret Invasion crowd likes this too, if that helps

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TMP said:

The Secret Invasion crowd likes this too, if that helps

Whenever critics go for a movie like "it's so highbrow, finally True Cinema" my eyes roll to the back of my skull. Nothing makes me less excited than hearing people say how smart they are for enjoying the "right kind" of movies 

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Menor the Destroyer said:
  Hide contents

"Man-hating" is not the word I would use, but all the male characters in the film are depicted in pretty stereotypical ways. You can argue that was part of the story with the Kens (it generally fell flat for me), but even in the real world every single male character is either incompetent, annoying, or actively malicious. Alan is probably the only exception but even he is portrayed as pretty much just self-interested.

And of course at the end of the movie, Barbieland sexism is made "like the real world" where the Kens are handed some scraps while the Barbies retain all the real power. Felt like the movie was intending to depict it as a mirror to real-life society, but it's muddled by how the ending is portrayed as some kind of happy victory for the Barbies when really the whole movie just had Barbieland switching between different oppressive systems. Plus it is not really believable that all the Kens would just accept going back to being second-class citizens after they had gotten a taste of being the oppressors. The way that subplot was resolved so quickly and neatly again contributed to them seeming like a bunch of incompetent doormats who are pretty much inferior to the Barbies in every way, which in turn muddles the message of "Ken has value independently of Barbie." In general "Battle of the Sexes" stuff like this can be pretty fraught and I don't think this movie had the nuance to do it correctly. 

wow media literacy truly is dead

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

All the snooty high brow crowd liking it actually kind of puts me off from seeing it. Maybe next week.

You judge the movie for yourself, i think Man Of Steel is a Materpiece, liked Zack Snyder Jutice League, Like WW84, Blade Runner 2049, Drive. 

If by your comment yoj would never see a Nolam Movie becaise that is the snooty fanbase and a big one. 

And i liked Barbie a lot. And Oppenheimer probably is Masterpiece too.