grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

Yeah they're reporting all the Los Angeles, Chicago, Austin and New York shows went basically sold out in few hours.

Thanks to the premium prices (some tickets are near to 30 dollars) in the LA + NY area they're making around 75K dollars from just 23 total showings.

Today is the day for general sales, let's see what happens. 

Edited by vale9001

4 minutes ago, Barbie said:

stop setting it up. a 60-70m opening, 250m dom and 250OS is more realistic.

Why do you make an account called barbie to hate Barbie Movie and Margot is the real question 😇

Barbie enjoy our club about Barbie being a smash

Edited by vale9001

I'm not surprised to see Barbie translating to actual ticket sales (though we will see to what degree).

If this ends up being a bit hit, it will be one of the biggest marketing masterclasses I've ever seen, as it has been shockingly good and this was not an easy sell...all it needs now is strong reviews (which I'm fairly sure it will get) and good WoM and it will be on.

• Like 3

It's interesting that WB seems to have a knack for producing films which on paper are a bit iffy but turn out to be huge hits. The ones that come to mind are Gravity, American Sniper and The Blind Side. Even Joker was met with scepticism. 

The Early Access Dolby showing at AMC Disney Springs is already completely filled up except for the wheelchair seats. Stranger things have happened but a $50M+ opening is more and more likely each day.

Edited by filmlover

It's a bit early yet, but Barbie is starting to sound like one of those rare movies that become a phenomenon before release.

If these early sell outs continue the closest comparison I can think of was the insane hype before The Hunger Games came out.

For THG every showing sold out weeks before release and theaters kept adding more screens and showtimes and those would sell out to the point that some multiplexes were dedicating 75% of all showings to THG on opening weekend.

Other movies had sell outs weeks in advance (things like the fist Avengers movie and The Force Awakens), but those were more expected to do so and I don't recall them adding many more showtimes than were originally scheduled as those were pretty much market saturated to start with.

I'm not sure I'd have seen this in the theater, but it is sounding like an event movie so I'll be there now.

Barbie is going to be one of those female driven phenomenon movies like Twilight and THG that boxoffice predictors cannot comprehend in its fullest potential because they work with a very different type of movies that usually break out (superhero, dinos, etc). But it's been cooking for a long time. I'm getting GOTG vibes where everyone could see that projected opening numbers were going to be smashed yet all official sites kept lowballed caution projections til OW explosion. 

Yes we KEN!

• Like 3

this won't be female driven as twilight, like HG already won't

twilight like 50 shades was like women women (80% of the audience), HG first weekend was 61% female and in the next weeks the male audience grew up. For barbie i think it's gonna be like HG or even some point better. 

23 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

this won't be female driven as twilight, like HG already won't

twilight like 50 shades was like women women (80% of the audience), HG first weekend was 61% female and in the next weeks the male audience grew up. For barbie i think it's gonna be like HG or even some point better. 

The "literally me" army leaving their basements for the first time in months to support their king Ryan Gosling 🙌 

• Heart 1