CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

since this appealing heavily to kids Monday drop should be harsh.  That is why I think all future Spider-Man films should be released deep into the summer as it seems that kids and families are primarily driving them now

• Like 2

1st monday drops for marvel may openers:

high end

XOW 74.4%

IM3 73.8%

CA2 73.5%.

low end

IM2 69.9%

Thor 68%

TA 66.9%

I was talking about the Saturday to Sunday drop.

But thanks anyway!

• Like 1

It's not a matter of the genre dying - though that will happen eventually (it's all cyclical). It's silly to expect it to die out within two decades, when it's really only reached its current height less than a decade ago. I'm speaking of certain characters getting worn out. What happens with the 6th (or 7th or whatever) Iron Man movie, when RDJ steps down? Are you confident that it won't experience a TASM-like drop? 

One major difference is that Iron Man is with Marvel.   Which means they can give the character a break when he needs it.

As good a film as CA2 was, if folks don't believe TA bumped it's bo significantly, dom and os, just like it bumped IM3's and Thor2's, that that's just a denial. 

if tasm1 being mixed is affecting tasm2, why wouldn't ca1 being mixed not affect ca2's ow globally. buzz doesn't cut it. 

but it deserves success for being a quality film. though to ignore the TA affect would be wrong.

If your point is that the Capt America character is now more popular because of Avengers, that's true.    As good as Cap 2 is, more people were interested in seeing a Cap movie before it opened.   It sounds like you are trying to imply Cap isn't really popular though.

There are always reasons for any box office success.   You can list reasons for any of them.

I  think they should beg forgiveness, and offer Raimi a Picasso painting a deal worth tens of millions and give  TM one hell of a paycheck...

That alone guarantees a full turn around.. It work with Disney winning back Robin Willams to do work as the Genie and other ventures with the company.

TM is only 30 something , Sony needs to act fast.

I like your posts but i disagree with this. No more Raimi or TM this ship has sailed and it sailed when sony didn't permit Raimi to make the SM3 he wanted (with Ben kingsley as the vulture and sandman as the second illain) .Now it's too late.

Sony needs to either sell the character to marvel or get a suitable director (like whedon was suitable for TA) and start fresh with the idea to recreate the comic books ,withminor changes. Be risky and try for a bit "rougher" movie with a scary villain (SM villains like the lizard and green goblin can be extremely scary, forget the versons we got in the movies) and follow the comic timeline when it comes to peter's romances (while toning the romance element down) because they are far better than what we got in the movies .Give us betty grand, the real Gwen Stacy (and the real captain Stacy) and then the real Mary Jane . Also

give us the real "The death of Gwen Stacy" story with a horrifying green goblin (Norman Osborne) and a hateful captain Stacy)

Honestly after the batman and robin quality of the last 2 movies a more serious spider man franchise (with scary elements like the joker or scarecrow are in Nolan's batman) is what can save the character . Oh and get an actor with a likeable face for Peter Parker .

I saw some people suggesting that Sony try to finagle some way to get Spidey into a future Avengers movie. While that would no doubt help, for obvious reasons it's extremely unlikely Marvel/Disney would agree to it. (Sony would have to give up a ton, maybe even some sort of deal where they agree to give the rights back to Marvel after another decade or so.)

But there's a far more viable possibility out there: the Fox Marvel movies. Having Spider-Man show up in an X-Men movie would be huge. Or having Wolverine or the Fantastic Four show up in a future Spidey movie would be all kinds of awesome. Or maybe they could even trade some villains around.

That said, it's entirely possible that Disney/Marvel may have final say in matters such as that, and they may be able to block such a crossover. But if it's allowed, it's definitely something worth considering, as it could benefit both Sony and Fox.

I saw some people suggesting that Sony try to finagle some way to get Spidey into a future Avengers movie. While that would no doubt help, for obvious reasons it's extremely unlikely Marvel/Disney would agree to it. (Sony would have to give up a ton, maybe even some sort of deal where they agree to give the rights back to Marvel after another decade or so.)

But there's a far more viable possibility out there: the Fox Marvel movies. Having Spider-Man show up in an X-Men movie would be huge. Or having Wolverine or the Fantastic Four show up in a future Spidey movie would be all kinds of awesome. Or maybe they could even trade some villains around.

That said, it's entirely possible that Disney/Marvel may have final say in matters such as that, and they may be able to block such a crossover. But if it's allowed, it's definitely something worth considering, as it could benefit both Sony and Fox.

I don't think Marvel could interfere in a potential Sony/Fox deal. But the thing is, a crossover as things stand now would be fairly difficult with Disney in any case. They have their movies planned well in advance, and getting Spidey in would mean rebooting him once again (otherwise, it'll be silly to ignore his existence during everything that has happened in the MCU so far) and I don't know if it's ok to reboot him AGAIN.

A deal with Fox would work better in my opinion. The FF movies are being rebooted, so they could theoretically use this Spidey with them. And the time-shifting events of X-Men COULD very well open a loophole for them to introduce Spidey. 

And, let's face it, a crossover between them all would be the kind of thing that would seriously create the same kind of event status that The Avengers for Disney or BatSoup/JL for WB have.

I hope we will someday see something like that happen, but I doubt it. SONY, if desperate enough for money, will probably just consider it easier to sell back to Marvel. 

I saw some people suggesting that Sony try to finagle some way to get Spidey into a future Avengers movie. While that would no doubt help, for obvious reasons it's extremely unlikely Marvel/Disney would agree to it. (Sony would have to give up a ton, maybe even some sort of deal where they agree to give the rights back to Marvel after another decade or so.)But there's a far more viable possibility out there: the Fox Marvel movies. Having Spider-Man show up in an X-Men movie would be huge. Or having Wolverine or the Fantastic Four show up in a future Spidey movie would be all kinds of awesome. Or maybe they could even trade some villains around.That said, it's entirely possible that Disney/Marvel may have final say in matters such as that, and they may be able to block such a crossover. But if it's allowed, it's definitely something worth considering, as it could benefit both Sony and Fox.

Man, I would pay top dollar to watch a movie with the Spider-Man of TASM franchise with the new fantastic four . It would be the best comedy ever , batman and robin would fade from everybody's memory .
  • Like 2

I don't think Marvel could interfere in a potential Sony/Fox deal. But the thing is, a crossover as things stand now would be fairly difficult with Disney in any case. They have their movies planned well in advance, and getting Spidey in would mean rebooting him once again (otherwise, it'll be silly to ignore his existence during everything that has happened in the MCU so far) and I don't know if it's ok to reboot him AGAIN. A deal with Fox would work better in my opinion. The FF movies are being rebooted, so they could theoretically use this Spidey with them. And the time-shifting events of X-Men COULD very well open a loophole for them to introduce Spidey. And, let's face it, a crossover between them all would be the kind of thing that would seriously create the same kind of event status that The Avengers for Disney or BatSoup/JL for WB have. I hope we will someday see something like that happen, but I doubt it. SONY, if desperate enough for money, will probably just consider it easier to sell back to Marvel.

First of all the batman, superman and friends movie hasn't created any kind of status for warner, the only thing visible on the internet is the hate towards the batman casting. Lets wait until its release .Secondly the avengers worked because marvel had a plan and they executed it with perfection , while being risky at the same time (making a ww2 CA movie) . Throwing heroes from terrible franchises that have nothing in common , just to boost the Bo numbers because the 2 biggest marvel properties ( Spider-Man and the Xmen ) have been devaluated under the "wise" decisions of Sony and fox, would create the biggest clusterfuck of all times .It's quite easy to say "hey a movie with wolverine and Spider-Man , cool" and then watch it crash and burn after the first weekend .Honestly a movie within the 1000 versions of the Xmen , the high school kids of ff4 and the Spider-Man of TASM would destroy ALL these franchises once and for all.Some of you like to think that it's so easy to repeat what marvel studios has done and I am afraid that the batman, superman, Wonder Woman, android and whoever else movie will teach you a hard lesson .
  • Like 1

I think I actually prefer BKB. He's at least amusing. You just come across as sad, really. You CAN enjoy whatever it is you like without attacking everything else, you know... I just don't see what you have to gain by being so vitriolic. If any other crossover movie fails, then so be it. I'll live - happily, withut a second thought. What will happen if a Marvel movie fails? Will you wither away into nothingness, or let hate consume you? 

Edited by reddevil18
  • Like 8

First of all the batman, superman and friends movie hasn't created any kind of status for warner, the only thing visible on the internet is the hate towards the batman casting. Lets wait until its release . 

That hate-talk shouldn't be taken lightly - it shows people give a shit.

I'd be astonished if the movie's any good. But PR-wise, WB will be very happy with how it's gone. Indifference is what they'd fear. The thread on this forum is already over 700 pages ferchrissake.

Edited by Hatebox

yeah WB created something to talk about after the castings. we haven't even see a poster, affleck in suit or gal in her suit but sites keep talking and speculating non stop. when wb start releasing promo stuff we'll have more clear idea about who gives a shit or not but lets be real most people even for curiosity will check it out

One thing that I believe a lot of people are missing is there was a very high number of high profile sporting events this weekend, which without a doubt had an impact on the weekend numbers. There were five Game 7s in the NBA, the Kentucky Derby, the Floyd Mayweather fight, the beginning of the second round of the NHL playoffs, and even some big races.On their own a couple of these would have made a decent dent, but added together I think you flat out have the reason TASM 2 didn't break $100 million this weekend.Expect all of these films to have smaller than expected drops next weekend as audiences catch up.

I remember Avi Arad saying that in a hypothetical Spider-man/Avengers team-up movie that Spidey should be the star because he's the "number one Marvel hero".

LOL...yeah, right.

• Like 1

One thing that I believe a lot of people are missing is there was a very high number of high profile sporting events this weekend, which without a doubt had an impact on the weekend numbers.There were five Game 7s in the NBA, the Kentucky Derby, the Floyd Mayweather fight, the beginning of the second round of the NHL playoffs, and even some big races.On their own a couple of these would have made a decent dent, but added together I think you flat out have the reason TASM 2 didn't break $100 million this weekend.Expect all of these films to have smaller than expected drops next weekend as audiences catch up.

Movies open how they open. This is where it's been tracking, this is where the buzz was. Movies open during major sporting events all the time, yet you only see these types of things posted when the numbers aren't where the fans would like them to be

• Like 2

One thing that I believe a lot of people are missing is there was a very high number of high profile sporting events this weekend, which without a doubt had an impact on the weekend numbers. There were five Game 7s in the NBA, the Kentucky Derby, the Floyd Mayweather fight, the beginning of the second round of the NHL playoffs, and even some big races.On their own a couple of these would have made a decent dent, but added together I think you flat out have the reason TASM 2 didn't break $100 million this weekend.Expect all of these films to have smaller than expected drops next weekend as audiences catch up.

There is every year at this time.
  • Like 1

One thing that I believe a lot of people are missing is there was a very high number of high profile sporting events this weekend, which without a doubt had an impact on the weekend numbers.There were five Game 7s in the NBA, the Kentucky Derby, the Floyd Mayweather fight, the beginning of the second round of the NHL playoffs, and even some big races.On their own a couple of these would have made a decent dent, but added together I think you flat out have the reason TASM 2 didn't break $100 million this weekend.Expect all of these films to have smaller than expected drops next weekend as audiences catch up.

That didn't stop TA from making the OW it made.

• Like 4