lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

2 minutes ago, Captain H said:

I hope they give this a decent production budget since the last thing I need is the TV shows' cheap ass budgets to be carried to the movie.

The budget is 120m so there you go, this isn´t cheap.

1 minute ago, Belakor said:

The budget is 120m so there you go, this isn´t cheap.

:o That's big. They're really banking on this to be a tentpole franchise didn't they? I hope it does become a successful tentpole franchise though.

• Like 1

On June 8, 2016 at 1:57 AM, kowhite said:

Is it odd I'm really hoping the full title of this is actually Saban's Power Rangers?

Granted, I laughed every time I drove past the building of the company that distributed this shit...simply cause the company was called...DIC.

Yeah I'm childish like that.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2016 at 2:04 AM, Krissykins said:

Lionsgate really, really need this to be a huge hit.

When companies need something to perform spectacularly, often times they don't get the result they want.  I will not be surprised if ultimately, all the movie does is maintain the status quo of the Power Rangers franchise.  It neither gains a new audience nor loses the existing audience for the Power Rangers.  Lionsgate's ambitions may be to make multiple Power Rangers movies, however while they can make a film that tries to appeal to a general audience, that does not mean the general audience will decide to go see it.

A Deadline article says the Bryan Cranston as Zordon news did generate buzz on social media.  A Nuke the Fridge interview says that Cranston joined because of the script.

On 6/22/2016 at 1:48 PM, johnboy3434 said:

I know. I was being a smartass. Also, this thing is going to make $50M rock-bottom. It may not make much more than that, but it sure as Hell isn't going to make less. Nostalgia isn't the rocket fuel it once was, but it's still got a healthy kick to it. Besides, the mere existence of the Transformers film series (the brand of which was at a similar stage of popularity in its heyday and at a similar stage of cultural relevance right before the big screen adaptation) is enough to think this might have a shot at succeeding.

Honestly, 75/180 wouldn't surprise me.

$75 million sounds extreme, since TMNT in 2014 managed a $65 million opening weekend, and the Ninja Turtles movies have outperformed the Power Rangers movies.  2014 TMNT was also at a time when Guardians of the Galaxy was the only other movie people wanted to see after so many flops in summer 2014.  I guess Lionsgate may be hoping for a boost from Beauty and the Beast, since that in all likelihood is going to open huge.  Lionsgate may want a Marvel like box office result for Power Rangers, but it is more likely to follow in the Turtles' path.  And TMNT: Out of the Shadows, shows the counterargument that this will be a success on the level of Transformers.  It sounds like most in the Ranger fandom expect Green Ranger for the sequel, but will there be enough audience interest to avoid the steep drops other sequels have seen, considering that the Green Ranger movie might not be out until 2019 or 2020?

On 7/6/2016 at 11:32 PM, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I want to see a trailer. 

If there were to be some kind of trailer this early, or just more news about the movie, it would probably be at San Diego Comic-Con.  And based on the most recent info from Rangercrew, that would likely be on the Saturday of the convention.  Lionsgate invested substantially into some partnership with SDCC, correct?  So, we would expect to see some news about the movie there.

Edited by Outrageous!

Entertainment Weekly has an article about Rita confronting Trini.

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

Used to be a power ranger fan. But with time, I have moved on. Have zero expectations from this. I will give the producers credit for the diverse cast, which will help its box-office prospects internationally. An Indian in the mix would have made it perfect. ;)

It sounds more and more like this going to be "generic superhero origin movie #27" or something like that.  We've had so many of these kinds of movies in the past few years, that at some point, despite some out there saying there is no superhero fatigue, some superhero movie is inevitably going to open much lower than expectations.  Here, I'm not sure Rita's plan as we've heard so far is any better than what the many main villains on the TV show have done.  I'm reminded of the 1994 season 1 episode Crystal of Nightmares, where Goldar tries to break the Rangers' self-confidence by using that crystal.