lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

Critics aren't gonna affect this. The only thing this need to be is cool, and even with a 20% RT score, as long as people come out of the theatre after watching this thinking something along the line of "that's actually pretty fun" $100 million DOM is good to go.

Edited by Captain H
  • Like 1

BO.com Tracking Shows Power Rangers Could Be The Biggest Suprise Hit of 2017

The Big Surprise

Go, go, Power Rangers! Power Rangers was a staple on TV for much of the 1990s and generated quite a following among kids and teens. Even though that success translated to merchandise sales and TV ratings, it never did quite make a triumphant leap to the big screen; two feature films based on the property were unable to combine for $50 million domestically in the mid-90s. Early reception for this latest entry, however, has been nothing short of spectacular—finishing seventh among all 2017 films in the chart above. With many of its original diehard fans now in the workforce, with spending power and children of their own, this franchise might have matured enough to be on the cusp of a breakout.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/2017-social-media-heat-map/

12 minutes ago, Alli said:

It releases a week after Beauty and the Beast. Good luck with that!

It's not like these two are targeting the same exact demo. Also, TMNT had no problem opening a week after Guardians. PR will be fine. It lives or die on it's own reception.

• Like 1

I think that the only way it fails to leave a significant impact is if the cast is dreadful and there is only 15 minutes or so of Ranger/Zord action.

It would probably suffer big drops if such a thing were to happen.

Edited by NoobSaibot

18 hours ago, Aplandg said:

The Zords look like actual toys were superimposed into the poster. 

That being said, I'm still excited for this movie. 

Tell me where you buy your toys, because they must be expensive as Hell. Most PR toys I see nowadays are colored plastic with minimal detailing.

On 2/2/2017 at 1:43 PM, Gokira2012 said:

my prediction

Power rangers:

$40,000,000 Opening weekend

$152,000,000 dOM

$410,000,000 ww

That is a 3.8 multiplier.  For perspective, consider that:

Ant-Man had a 3.1 multiplier from OW to domestic total.
Guardians of the Galaxy had a 3.5 multiplier from OW to domestic total.

Unless Power Rangers suddenly becomes more popular than Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 over the next month, and is able to compete with the run Beauty and the Beast will have, a multiplier over 3.0 appears unlikely.  Even if the movie is reviewed well,  Power Rangers itself still feels as though it is more of a "niche" IP than a "mainstream" one like Marvel has become.  I do not feel this movie itself is going to suddenly change everyone's feelings about Power Rangers, no matter how much those in the Power Rangers fandom want for it to do so.  And was that larger text quote for the social media heat map really necessary?  We know PR does well on places like Twitter.  I still get the feeling that ultimately, this movie is not going to offer much more than what a standard Power Rangers episode does: it's not like it is a new version of the "Legendary Battle" or another huge team-up among several Ranger teams.  It feels like it is going to be a standard superhero origin story, so many of which we have gotten over the past decade or so.

Yeah, it kills me to say it, but I'm not feeling optimistic about its box office chances. If we go with the 2.89 multiplier that BO.com is assuming right now, then I figure anything less than $51M OW is going to be a disappointment.

I can't help but feel a bit jealous of the Transformers franchise. At the height of its popularity, PR was bigger than TF could ever dream of being. Now, despite both premises being equally ridiculous and the source material being roughly on par with each other, it's looking like people would much rather go see TF than PR.

5 hours ago, Outrageous! said:

This was mentioned on Rangercrew tonight:

The New York Times article is about Lionsgate as a company.  While it does sound better than $150 million, there are marketing costs as well.

Marketing should be about $50M as their other movies. (Divergent, HG movies...)

I would say OS presales will be something like $85M, maybe higher. (MJ1 was 130M, Divergent 65M).

So, 170M (Budget + marketing) - 85M = 85M.

With this theory, Lions would need at least $154.55M DOM to have profit in BO already.

If OS presales are 100M, it would need $127M+

Edited by alisson23