A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Anyone who thinks Disney is struggling because of the spate in Florida is clearly delusional. 

The fact the Ariel doll is selling so well just prove that the Disney brand is still beloved by consumers. 

Why? It's the rare situation where the mechanism is conceptually plausible. It got a month of A-1 news coverage a year ago, literally is a cornerstone of a major presidential candidate's campaign and is something Disney's actively continuing to litigate. This isn't "can youtube anger translate to real world backlash" conceptual idea. It's literally just presidential primary campaign politics. 

I think it's pretty self-evident there's enough conceptual kindling to treat as a serious hypothesis. Is that what the data actually says? Feels like this is something someone should have tried to argue more directly given amount of attention its received. 

When I looked for anything a while ago, I found some declines for Disney in corporate reputation over last couple of years in a big, longstanding Axios sponsored poll though decline wasn't super crazy change. 

She’s not alone in the excitement — after its release, her Little Mermaid doll has already become the #1 Best Seller on Amazon in the Dolls & Dollhouse category. Not only is this a huge win for representation, it’s also a bonafide Disney Princess rite of passage. [rolling stone summary]

How does that compare to prior Disney films? What's the actual relative performance? Do $200M domestic Disney films do this or is it only reserved for $400M Domestic ones? Is this an actually relevant and interesting datapoint? I have no idea what the baseline merch is supposed to be or even how many sales this means in practice.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

In India, the subs will most probably decline in the next quarter as well, since some of the people who didn't know IPL has moved will know now and drop it, and also Jio has dropped Hostar mobile from their Yearly packs meaning many of the mobile subs will not be there from either this quarter and most definitely from the next.

Edited by Immortal

13 hours ago, Immortal said:

In India, the subs will most probably decline in the next quarter as well, since some of the people who didn't know IPL has moved will know now and drop it, and also Jio has dropped Hostar mobile from their Yearly packs meaning many of the mobile subs will not be there from either this quarter and most definitely from the next.

i personally expect disney to loose atleast minimum 5m subs in india ! disney should look into Disney india the management is just bad for last 2 yrs even movie promotions ! the little mermaid or elementals or the boogeyman aren't even dubbed in hindi atleast nd d+ r barely getting dubbed in local langs 

On 5/12/2023 at 12:45 AM, PlatnumRoyce said:

How does that compare to prior Disney films? What's the actual relative performance? Do $200M domestic Disney films do this or is it only reserved for $400M Domestic ones? Is this an actually relevant and interesting datapoint? I have no idea what the baseline merch is supposed to be or even how many sales this means in practice.

If any of the previous live action Disney Princess remakes had achieved this in merch sales, we would have heard of it. Even if it is surprisingly a common occurrence for live action Princess dolls, No #1 selling toy in the country still makes all kinds of holes in the People are rejecting Disney/Go Woke, Go Broke narratives.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

If any of the previous live action Disney Princess remakes had achieved this in merch sales, we would have heard of it. Even if it is surprisingly a common occurrence for live action Princess dolls, No #1 selling toy in the country still makes all kinds of holes in the People are rejecting Disney/Go Woke, Go Broke narratives.

I agree, it's such a stupid thing to even claim when you consider that the theme parks increased their revenues. The Disney brand is still strong with the average consumer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I agree, it's such a stupid thing to even claim when you consider that the theme parks increased their revenues. The Disney brand is still strong with the average consumer. 

Also, this is how the 'Disney reputation damaging' presidential candidate is faring... in his own home state 

:giggle: 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Also, this is how the 'Disney reputation damaging' presidential candidate is faring... in his own home state 

:giggle: 

Well, just confrims my opinion that the GOP is so screwed in 2024.

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

I agree,

I have mixed feelinga bout this; I am glad the anti woke mob is looking at a huge defeat, but sad it will be by one of the Disney Live Action Remakes, since I truly despise them, and Mermaid looks to be no better then the previous ones

21 minutes ago, XXR Anti-Hero said:

Interesting that they’re releasing all of Echo at once. I wonder why?

Probably to avoid overlap with Skeleton Crew if that still releases in December.

EDIT: NVM I remembered Ms Marvel and Obi-Wan were airing simultaneously.

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, XXR Anti-Hero said:

It would seem they are betting on lower ratings for Echo and higher ratings for Loki...ala, the Amazon/Netflix strategy for shows (only their planned "biggest" shows go weekly - they drop most others all at once)...

43 minutes ago, XXR Anti-Hero said:

30 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Probably to avoid overlap with Skeleton Crew if that still releases in December.

EDIT: NVM I remembered Ms Marvel and Obi-Wan were airing simultaneously.

Not repeating the Ms. Marvel/Obi-Wan and She-Hulk/Andor overlaps is probably exactly why they're releasing these shows this way. If my math is right, this would put Loki S2 one or two weeks post Ahsoka, depending on just when Ahsoka launches in August.

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It would seem they are betting on lower ratings for Echo and higher ratings for Loki...ala, the Amazon/Netflix strategy for shows (only their planned "biggest" shows go weekly - they drop most others all at once)...

That too.

Mind it is a surprise that Echo is all at once.  But if they're trying to avoid Marvel/SW overlap and they want Skeleton Crew to launch in late Dec (in the Boba Fett/Bad Batch slot), then that's one way to do it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Good. Chapek was a mistake.

Shareholders suits are a dime a dozen; they seldom go anywhere.

But agree Chapek was a mistake..whichis why Iger stepped in.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, XXR Anti-Hero said:

This is something Disney+ has done before to series the suits don't have faith in. The second seasons of both Diary of a Future President and Big Shot were both dumped all at once shortly before they got cancelled. So yeah, it looks like all the worrying rumours about Echo indeed are true.

Loki's finale date will be the same as The Marvels' release date. If there is some connection between Loki's finale and The Marvels, then it may help The Marvels at the box office. If there is no connection, then Disney really wants to sabotage the Marvels lol
Charles Murphy (a credible scooper) on The Marvels:

"Despite the wacky body-swapping premise, it’s not all fun and games, however, as The Marvels has a very real and terrifying tie to the big arc of the Multiverse Saga that will help fans who have so adamantly repeated that they don’t know where things are headed figure out where things are headed!"

• Astonished 1