A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

From what I have been reading, ESPN iplayed a major role in today's finiancial report.

We focus on movies and the Streaming networks here, but never forget how big and popular sports arel 

ESPN is important to Disney in the same way the parks are. 

46 minutes ago, Eric Danvers said:

Cutting back on movies is funny to me. Y'all already release the fewest movies out of all the big studios. Like what's the point?

I think 20th Century will have less movies per year for sure. WDAS, Pixar and Marvel are going to be protected budget wise no matter what. 

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

From what I have been reading, ESPN iplayed a major role in today's finiancial report.

We focus on movies and the Streaming networks here, but never forget how big and popular sports arel 

They also casually slipped in there that eventually it could also be merged into Disney+ with Hulu...

41 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

They also casually slipped in there that eventually it could also be merged into Disney+ with Hulu...

I'm not sure if ESPN merging with Disney+ would be a sure thing, bundling I can see but all in one app might be very expensive. 

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm not sure if ESPN merging with Disney+ would be a sure thing, bundling I can see but all in one app might be very expensive. 

It sounds like you won't need every service, it'll just be all available on one app. Like you can opt in to add ESPN to your Disney+, I think

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It sounds like you won't need every service, it'll just be all available on one app. Like you can opt in to add ESPN to your Disney+, I think

I wonder how that'll work globally, unless the ESPN add on will only be for the NA market. 

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

They already do this with Hulu, so probably just keeping that as an option.

source: https://help.hulu.com/s/article/espn-addon

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder how that'll work globally, unless the ESPN add on will only be for the NA market. 

As I mentioned above probably just for the US market similar to how they already do with Hulu. However Star+ in Latin America does also have ESPN sports, Disney+ in other markets have some of the documentaries mainly 30 for 30s plus they did show the Toy Story themed NFL game internationally on Disney+. In India Disney+Hotstar has Star Sports coverage, In Indonesia Disney+Hotstar has WWE programming, so it is possible Disney could move more into sports internationally just depends if they can get global rights to show certain games/leagues and if it is worth bidding more to get those rights. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

I think because this is a box office forum many people here don't understand this. Disney's performance in the theatrical space is small potatoes compared to some of its other businesses.

Honestly, the revenues from the parks, experiences and products alone is eye watering. 

5 hours ago, Eric Danvers said:

Cutting back on movies is funny to me. Y'all already release the fewest movies out of all the big studios. Like what's the point?

Well, considering all of their live action consists of Marvel, Star Wars, and LA remakes, and all of them are in the gutter… that’s the point. They seem to fail epicly too unfortunately when they actually do try something else (POTC trilogy from a hundred years ago not withstanding). 

Edited by MovieMan89

On 11/9/2023 at 7:46 PM, SpiderByte said:

There's been rumors that part of the new Disney+ era of Doctor Who would be building out a Marvel type shared universe of shows (which was something Davies also did during his first tenure with Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures)...this wouldn't be a bad choice.

The Night of the Doctor is sitting with 6M views on YouTube alone, defoes something they can build on and frankly Paul is just an amazing Doctor.

Still quite cynical about all these spin off ideas. But am all for more DW.