A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

California has no shortage of jobs. Its already 5th biggest economy of entire world and 14.6% of overall US GDP. Florida is in a terrible situation for sure. Its lose lose for disney to ignore this situation. 

He should focus on why are so many companies are leaving California or why Disney moved its offices. 

I know California is a great state and economy is good but its population has flatlined in the past 2-3 years and the state has some issues to work out.

Rather shocked how time american politicians have on tweeting.

More Businesses Leaving California In 2021 Than In Any Other Year Prior According To New Analysis - California Globe

Edited by Torontofan

That Marvel Studioa statement 

25 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Yep; Dana Terrace ("The Owl House") has been vocally against this decision on Twitter and raised money to support LGBTQ folks in Florida. Expected nothing less from someone with the first openly bi protag on a Disney show (That was cancelled months ago. Nothing to lose with The Mouse now).

CHapek has something amounting to a mutiny on his hands.

I can see how he can effectively manage the company if this goes on. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, iHeartJames said:

yeah cuz recent Netflix walkout over Dave Chapelle's comments worked like gangbusters 

Protesting the statements from a performer isn't quite the same thing as protesting inaction over hateful legislation that has the potential to actually harm people's lives.

And while every major corporation is image conscious these days, few pride themselves on their public image as much as Disney does.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Protesting the statements from a performer isn't quite the same thing as protesting inaction over hateful legislation that with the potential to actually harm people's lives.

And while every major corporation is image conscious these days, few pride themselves on their public image as much as Disney does.

Chappelle and Rogan feed off controversy and their fanbases aren't really the progressive minded mainstream 

Disney is a company obsessed around image like you said. 

There's little to no chance of DeSantis not being re-elected. Anyone telling you otherwise is either on a bubble or being disingenuous. Disney also holds little to no power on any conversations with him or state officials. At the end of the day we all know Disney can't pick up and move WDW to another state, so they really have no leverage. They can denounce the bill like they did or donate to democrats and not donate to republicans in the state, but if they do the latter they know they'd upset half of their audience too.

DeSantis won, albeit barely, in 2018 when it was a very strong Dem year with a very popular mayor of Tallahassee running for the Democrats. 1st black governor of Florida was being heavily pushed and played in the local media. I still remember the countless and countless "Let's bring it home" posters and flyers with Gillum's face plastered all over it everywhere. And even with all that, DeSantis won. Only way DeSantis loses this year is if - before the election - he gets caught ODed on meth with a male gigolo in a hotel room in Miami like Gillum in 2020. Even ignoring that the party in power historically loses the midterms recent polls have DeSantis up anywhere from 6+ to 20+ points.

If anyone feels confident that DeSantis will lose then they stand to make a LOT of money by betting on an opponent here. Right now you bet 89C to make a dollar on DeSantis, 8C to make a dollar on Christ, 6C on Fried and the other two you'd just be throwing your money away, even more so than if you bet on Christ or Fried.  Likewise, you can just bet completely against him. 11C to make a dollar that anyone but him wins.

Edited by AnotherDayAnotherDollar
  • Like 3

BTW, speaking as a Californian, I will simply say that, while this is not the California Politics Thread (not that we have one), perhaps folks who don't actually live in this state shouldn't be so quick to buy into various lazy talking points about said state.

I do have a lot more I could say, but since this isn't the right thread, I'll simply say:

PE-dontbelieve.jpg

(or anti-hype, as the case may be)

• Like 3

I mean, you don't climb up to 5th largest economy in the world by being the failed state that some folks of a particular political persuasion seem to think we are.

edit: Anyway, not a fan of penny pinchers like Chapek. They have a tendency to drive away the people with actual talent and ability, so the faster he's gone the less damage he'll be able to do.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Cap said:

A little late and hollow, but interesting that this is only (as of typing this) on the Marvel Studios Twitter and there isn’t a similar one from LucasFilm, Walt Disney Animation/Studios, NatGeo.  

Pixar obviously has already made its stance clear. 

Aaand Chapek's career is officially over. The god of modern entertainment Marvel speaking out has to be the straw that breaks the camel's back for Disney's board.

I wonder when (if?) Universal/Comcast will ever speak out on all of this because right now it's Disney taking all the heat for this and everyone who has closely followed this whole saga will see that they were also donors to Dennis Baxley (who is responsible for the sponsoring of the bill) and others associated. They might want to put out that fire sooner than later before it catches everyone's attention, which could very well be when they begin the marketing for Bros (the Billy Eichner LGBTQ romcom notable for reportedly being the first studio movie with an all LGBTQ cast which is set for release at the end of September).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wonder when (if?) Universal/Comcast will ever speak out on all of this because right now it's Disney taking all the heat for this and everyone who has closely followed this whole saga will see that they were also donors to Dennis Baxley (who is responsible for the sponsoring of the bill) and others associated. They might want to put out that fire sooner than later before it catches everyone's attention, which could very well be when they begin the marketing for Bros (the Billy Eichner LGBTQ romcom notable for reportedly being the first studio movie with an all LGBTQ cast which is set for release at the end of September).

Comcast/Universal aren’t anywhere near the lighting rod of visibility that Disney is. Nobody’s gonna care if Comcast is in a headline. 

4 hours ago, Torontofan said:

He should focus on why are so many companies are leaving California or why Disney moved its offices. 

I know California is a great state and economy is good but its population has flatlined in the past 2-3 years and the state has some issues to work out.

Rather shocked how time american politicians have on tweeting.

More Businesses Leaving California In 2021 Than In Any Other Year Prior According To New Analysis - California Globe

That always happens. Its an expensive place and companies that dont thrive tend to look to reduce its tax burden. But its also a place where new start ups pop every day. I am not worried about jobs in California at all. I live in bay area which has way more jobs(in tech) than people. SoCal has its own thriving industries. Issue is lack of housing. But that is a big issue. Population is an issue not just for California as we have a growing boomer population and now COVID making it worse. Plus immigration has gone down quite a bit as well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Comcast/Universal aren’t anywhere near the lighting rod of visibility that Disney is. Nobody’s gonna care if Comcast is in a headline. 

If forced to name only the second reason why would be excited about visiting this state, it would be arguably Universal. These two often make the top Florida employers list every year when you combine everything (parks, hotels, their shopping/dining/entertainment complexes, etc.) into one. Obviously they live in The Happiest Place On Earth's shadow, but to say that Universal (and the brand recognition that comes with them) hasn't tremendously helped Florida's tourism would be completely disingenuous. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If forced to name only the second reason why would be excited about visiting this state, it would be arguably Universal. These two often make the top Florida employers list every year when you combine everything (parks, hotels, their shopping/dining/entertainment complexes, etc.) into one. Obviously they live in The Happiest Place On Earth's shadow, but to say that Universal (and the brand recognition that comes with them) hasn't tremendously helped Florida's tourism would be completely disingenuous. 

Yea sure and if forced to name their second favorite smartphone people would say Samsung Galaxy. Doesn’t mean they have anywhere near the sort of societal soft power. 

11 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Begs the question if they do just wait out Chapeks contract who do they make CEO? The most competent high level executive is Peter Rice who I think would be a good choice. D’Amarro isn’t getting the job this quickly. 

Ted Sarandos

7 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Aaand Chapek's career is officially over. The god of modern entertainment Marvel speaking out has to be the straw that breaks the camel's back for Disney's board.

Well, that depends on how things go from here.

• Like 2