CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

Just now, eXtacy said:

This trailer is not hitting as well as the Godzilla 2014 first one and that did 200m. Also King Kong was definitely boosted by Peter Jackson's name as he was at the height of his career. Not seeing how this trailer sells anyone on 300m. If you lowered it by 100m than absolutely reasonable....

G14 had a 90m OW on the strength of its trailer. Assuming this is a decent movie that's well received, it should manage healthier legs. I don't think it hits 300m, but crazier things have happened.

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, eXtacy said:

This trailer is not hitting as well as the Godzilla 2014 first one and that did 200m. Also King Kong was definitely boosted by Peter Jackson's name as he was at the height of his career. Not seeing how this trailer sells anyone on 300m. If you lowered it by 100m than absolutely reasonable....

:lol: Kong is a brand name all on his own. The trailer looks fantastic and has played that way on social media.

Im down for 280-300. Itll open to 100 and if its good ( another words if it is better than Peter Jackson's King Kong, which should be fairly easy to do) itll challenge 300.

• Like 3

Some of these opening predictions are bold. I think that Beauty and the Beast and possibly Power Rangers will suck most of the air from Logan and Kong: Skull Island, resulting in people saving their money. I'd be happy as hell to see this make $300 million domestic. But with so much competition in a month not known for handling so many blockbusters at once, I'm not sure if that should be expected.

As much as I am looking forward to this, I am not sure about its boxoffice prospect. It's been 15 hrs and it has mustered only 700+K views on jimmy Kimmel official youtube channel. The retweets and likes on twitter are also very very weak. It has only 11k followers on official twitter channel.

You guys need to realize that Peter Jackson's Kong had lots of buzz, anticipation and hype surrounding it, but it was a major BO dissapointment.

I don't feel the excitement for this movie as much as that and the 2014 Godzilla. And yet Godzilla did only 500+ WW after big opening weekends. 

Unless this gets amazing reviews and wom is great, I am afraid the WW BO won't even match 2005 Kong or 2014 Godzilla because the excitement for it is simply no where to those movies 4 months out. Moreover, people have LOTS of great choices that month. 

March 3rd - Logan

March 10 - kong

March 17 - beauty&beast

March 23 - arthur, power rangers

March 31- ghost in shell

Kong is sandwiched between two big movies...last wolverine film which should make solid money and a disney EVENT in its second weekend..the last time another Disney movie (Narnia) released close to Kong, it didn't turn out well...this disney movie is locked to open to 200+M and 2+ billion worldwide..

• Like 1

I just don't see this making more than $200 million, if it's even fortunate enough to make nearly that much. The marketing for this has been the usual fare, but with the number of likes the official Facebook page has (less than 200,000), the number of views the trailer has (less than 10 million)--especially compared to Logan and company--and the coming competition leads me to believe that this may not catch on unless there is a flurry of advertising in the coming months like Warner Bros. did for Godzilla. Either that or people just aren't interested.

We still have four months left, though. Maybe things will change.

12 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

I just don't see this making more than $200 million, if it's even fortunate enough to make nearly that much. The marketing for this has been the usual fare, but with the number of likes the official Facebook page has (less than 200,000), the number of views the trailer has (less than 10 million)--especially compared to Logan and company--and the coming competition leads me to believe that this may not catch on unless there is a flurry of advertising in the coming months like Warner Bros. did for Godzilla. Either that or people just aren't interested.

We still have four months left, though. Maybe things will change.

Yeah, but the trailer posted on LPs Skull Island page has a very significant amount of likes and shares. More then the equivalent G14 trailer did. It is odd there's that many likes and shares for the trailer posted, but the actual page has less than 200k.

The viral has been ok so far. Lets see what LP and WB do from here. I think it'll hit 200m domestically still.

3 hours ago, Warmaster506 said:

Looks to have lots of monster action with a good cast.  If the film is good it will hit way over $200 million.  Would not surprise me if this ends up being a better film than Beauty and the Beast, 

Who cares if it's a better film, it still won't outperform BatB. I'm thinking $70M/$185M.