CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

Okay I know we're not allowed to talk about racism in this thread, but this is on-topic: To me, nearly the only thing keeping the 2005 King Kong from being a modern blockbuster masterpiece IS the old-timey, casual racism with the savage native shit in the first third. It's about two levels beyond dense for a 2005 movie. The rest of the movie is really damn terrific outside of the fact that Watts and Brody are a little boring.  If this is half as good, I'd be pleased. Hiddleston is also boring, but Larson and the rest of the cast are usually excellent. I am shockingly excited to see it. 

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Okay I know we're not allowed to talk about racism in this thread, but this is on-topic: To me, nearly the only thing keeping the 2005 King Kong from being a modern blockbuster masterpiece IS the old-timey, casual racism with the savage native shit in the first third. It's about two levels beyond dense for a 2005 movie. The rest of the movie is really damn terrific outside of the fact that Watts and Brody are a little boring.  If this is half as good, I'd be pleased. Hiddleston is also boring, but Larson and the rest of the cast are usually excellent. I am shockingly excited to see it. 

it's weird because i think jackson's depiction of the villagers is actually worse than the stuff from the '33 film. in that film at least them and the ship crew are all trying to stop kong together at the end, and you see crying native kids and stuff so it gets a little more sympathy. think it's jackson playing to his horror roots. zombie horde vibe to them in his version.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's weird because i think jackson's depiction of the villagers is actually worse than the stuff from the '33 film. in that film at least them and the ship crew are all trying to stop kong together at the end, and you see crying native kids and stuff so it gets a little more sympathy. think it's jackson playing to his horror roots. zombie horde vibe to them in his version.

True. General rule for the 21st century: You never want to out-racist a movie from 1933. Shit is cringey on a rewatch as an adult. The rest still holds up, but yea.

10 hours ago, davincicode1 said:

You wouldn't use the same "Oscar" argument if for example Monique was playing Jing's role...YOU would still argue that Brie was more important and significant.

My point is that in the movie they serve SAME purpose, both have love interests, different jobs but devoted to the mission of exploring the island, and they BOTH get into various incidents involving monsters...it's not like Brie somehow gets later romantically linked to Kong himself and gets separated (alá Ann) from the group, if that was the case then I would have bought the argument....

Which country is the biggest primary market for this movie? Is this a remake of some non-American movie? No, this is a remake of what many consider as an American classic: the 1933 version of King Kong. If somebody want an all-Chinese cast of a King Kong remake, get this guy to buy the rights

:wang-jianlin.jpg

Just now, Mikasa Ackerman said:

Watching the Black Caps vs South Africa cricket test, and just got a Kong tv spot. First I've seen, so there's not exactly a massive promotional push here.

I've actually seen a ton in the small amounts of TV I've watched.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, zackzack said:

Which country is the biggest primary market for this movie? Is this a remake of some non-American movie? No, this is a remake of what many consider as an American classic: the 1933 version of King Kong. If somebody want an all-Chinese cast of a King Kong remake, get this guy to buy the rights

:wang-jianlin.jpg

What's ironic is that guy owns Legendary. 

That brings up another point. Even if this doesn't do well here, LP keeps like 60-70% of whatever it makes since it's essentially a Chinese company. LP films have that advantage in China that other studios don't.

Edited by Cookson

On 07/03/2017 at 10:15 AM, DMan7 said:

That bad or good?

More bad then good.  Ticket prices are higher for Large Format Screens and it just limits the capacity.  Logan had all of the Large Format Screens last weekend.

I doubt Kong can beat Logan this weekend in Australia.

25 minutes ago, Cookson said:

What's ironic is that guy owns Legendary. 

That brings up another point. Even if this doesn't do well here, LP keeps like 60-70% of whatever it makes sense it's essentially a Chinese company. LP films have that advantage in China that other studios don't.

60-70% ?

For local or co-production, I think 38% to 43% goes to the Producer.

http://www.chinalawblog.com/tag/china-box-office/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/matt-damons-the-great-wall-to-lose-dollar75-million-future-us-china-productions-in-doubt/ar-AAnIwbT