CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

Shes not in the marketing because no one in.NA knows who she is.

You don't see Halston Sage being promoted anywhere for Before I Fall, do you? She's one of the hottest women in the world right now in my opinion but no one knows who the hell she is so why would they put her in the marketing campaign?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

Even Dafoe sucked.

Dafoe was awful and really added nothing to the story other than a convenient excuse for some leads to know English

2 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

Those are opinions, not facts.

The fact is that she was not featured in ANY (like ZERO) marketing, NO posters/promos, she wasn't even invited to any red carpets nor interviews to promote the movie....I can't believe how NO one in here is seeing how problematic this is.

Sure, but it's not like those more familiar with her in the China Box Office thread think highly of her either. She's had some controversies of being cast more due to her connections and looks, rather than skills.

If anything, you should be more concerned about her relative lack of promotion in the Great Wall, where she could be argued as the main lead alongside Damon. She did some red carpet stuff and small interviews I assume, but that would be more concerning than her role here in Kong, where she's one of probably some 7-8 actors getting some screen time.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Dafoe was awful and really added nothing to the story other than a convenient excuse for some leads to know English

Sure, but it's not like those more familiar with her in the China Box Office thread think highly of her either. She's had some controversies of being cast more due to her connections and looks, rather than skills.

If anything, you should be more concerned about her relative lack of promotion in the Great Wall, where she could be argued as the main lead alongside Damon. She did some red carpet stuff and small interviews I assume, but that would be more concerning than her role here in Kong, where she's one of probably some 7-8 actors getting some screen time.

They should have at least Dafoe ham it the fuck up, Spider-Man style

If you guys want to discuss racism in the anyway there's an entire thread devoted to that. Go find it and discuss it there. But I would appreciate it, and so would the other moderators, if you keep it out of this thread.

49 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

Those are opinions, not facts.

The fact is that she was not featured in ANY (like ZERO) marketing, NO posters/promos, she wasn't even invited to any red carpets nor interviews to promote the movie....I can't believe how NO one in here is seeing how problematic this is.

Because there's nothing problematic about it. No one especially in NA knows who she is. The bigger stars are always going to get more promo time, be asked the questions and walk the red carpet. That's the way this business works. A studio isn't gonna waste time using someone who isn't well known to do promo on their blockbuster movie. Especially when that said person is one of many other folks who are in the movie and they're the least famous person out of the cast. 

If youd like to discuss actual race issues that take place in Hollywood I'd be more than happy to discuss them with you in the proper thread. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Remember seeing a few posts, he really hated Captain America.

Yeah. One of the few times I ever went to imdb, saw a bunch by him. It was hilarious reading his stuff.

But that isn't Kong. I'm looking forward to this movie.

Who the fuck cares about Brie Larson? Most people don't know who the fuck she is so featuring her more prominently than a giant ape = losing money. Different story after she gets exposure with Captain Marvel (but no guarantee she'll become a legit draw, see Chris Evans/Hemsworth/etc) but right now she isn't bankable. 

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Who the fuck cares about Brie Larson? Most people don't know who the fuck she is so featuring her more prominently than a giant ape = losing money. Different story after she gets exposure with Captain Marvel (but no guarantee she'll become a legit draw, see Chris Evans/Hemsworth/etc) but right now she isn't bankable. 

She's won an Oscar.  That makes her worth the exposure.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

She's won an Oscar.  That makes her worth the exposure.

Not really. Winning the Oscar isn't the same as being seen in movies and liked. Nobody saw Room. You can make Jlaw prominent in trailers (which is what DOFP and Apocalypse did) because she was in movies that many people saw. But brie is still an unknown to GA. As the matter of fact, they didn't push Loki in previews either. After Crimson peak bomb, I wouldn't either.

Edited by Valonqar

Not really. Winning the Oscar isn't the same as being seen in movies and liked. Nobody saw Room. You can make Jlaw prominent in trailers (which is what DOFP and Apocalypse did) because she was in movies that many people saw. But brie is still an unknown to GA. As the matter of fact, they didn't push Loki in previews either. 

She won an Oscar.  That's watched by 30-40 million people.  

Do I really have to explain how marketing works to you?

• Like 4

no one said brie larson was a draw or bankable, but i think the argument was that at least she's better known than the great wall girl because it's apparently a hate crime that she's not getting any promo. anyway because of the awards and the fact she'll soon be captain marvel i do know people who aren't film buff types who know her name. can't say the same about the other actress.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 9

I've seen the movie, Brie Larson is the female lead which is why she's featured heavily in the marketing. The other girl doesn't really do anything in the movie, she's just as generic and forgettable as the other soldiers in the movie. I don't think Tian Jung is ever even in peril in the film expect for maybe the helicopter scene. Brie has a few chase scenes and even battles one of the creatures, she does more than most of the guys do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boxofficerules said:

I've seen the movie, Brie Larson is the female lead which is why she's featured heavily in the marketing. The other girl doesn't really do anything in the movie, she's just as generic and forgettable as the other soldiers in the movie. I don't think Tian Jung is ever even in peril in the film expect for maybe the helicopter scene. Brie has a few chase scenes and even battles one of the creatures, she does more than most of the guys do.

So the movie is racist, not just the marketing?

18 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

no one said brie larson was a draw or bankable, but i think the argument was that at least she's better known than the great wall girl because it's apparently a hate crime that she's not getting any promo. anyway because of the awards and the fact she'll soon be captain marvel i do know people who aren't film buff types who know her name. can't say the same about the other actress.

Ok, that makes sense. Dind't realize the discussion was about the other girl.

Still don't think either could put butts in seats. :)

Ok, that makes sense. Dind't realize the discussion was about the other girl.

Still don't think either could put butts in seats. :)

Who does these days?

We've had this conversation a million times.  The movie star is mostly a thing of the past now.  But you still need recognizable names to make your film at least interesting.  Would Kong still sell if Zoey Deutch, Colin Farrel, Dennis Haysbert, John carroll Lynch and Jason Segal replaced the cast they have now?  Good question, right?

• Like 3