CaptainJackSparrow

Godzilla Thurs: 9.3, other thurs #s also: Neighbors 3.5M, ASM2: 1.9M

If you're allowed to think Michael fucking Bay is the most talented director of his generation a moviegoer is allowed to get excited at an awesome scene in a film.

I wouldn't say he is the most talented director of his generation, but Michael Bay is enormously talented imo. Whether one likes it or not, he helped to redefine the action/adventure genre stylistically. I think he has an incredible visual sense and I like that he hasn't tried to be something that he is not. 

This debut guarantees at least $70 million for Godzilla. If it plays like Spider-Man 2, it will have the biggest opening of the year with around $98 million. It could go even higher, though: using Thor: The Dark World or 300: Rise of An Empire as comparable titles puts the movie above $110 million for the weekend.Boxofficemojo.comWow...
  • Like 2

This lizard might be taking a bigger bite out of Spidey than initially expected... 55% drop for the web crawler this weekend?

At least.

• Like 2

This lizard might be taking a bigger bite out of Spidey than initially expected... 55% drop for the web crawler this weekend?

I was already thinking 53% before the midnights number came in, I'll go that much further now to 55% as a strong possibility. 

This debut guarantees at least $70 million for Godzilla. If it plays like Spider-Man 2, it will have the biggest opening of the year with around $98 million. It could go even higher, though: using Thor: The Dark World or 300: Rise of An Empire as comparable titles puts the movie above $110 million for the weekend.Boxofficemojo.comWow...

but he is ignoring that Godzilla is not a completely original movie. Godzilla/monster movies have large enough fanbases to create some frontloading

• Like 6

• Founder / Operator

All due respect to Ray, I think it's a little early to speculate about numbers over $100 million. For all we know, Godzilla had a massive fanboy turnout last night. I think the window is as wide as $70m-110m, with the likely outcome somewhere between $77-90m.

• Like 10