baumer

Wknd Estimates: Godzilla - 93.2M

I just don't get that statement quite honestly, can't even comprehend it.

He's completely gone after the (brief) Hawaii reveal until the last fight in San Fran. He owned

that, but that was such a brief scene.

San Fran entrance. 

• Like 1

UPDATED, SATURDAY, 11:05 PM: This has been a roller coaster of a ride withGodzilla dipping greater than expected on Saturday night, with a 16% to 19% estimated drop from Friday, which means its total cume for Warner Bros./Legendary Pictures will come in more along the lines of $92M, instead of the $98M (an estimate that was predicated on a 10% drop). No matter what $90M+ number it ends up at, these guys have a huge hit. Going into the weekend, it was thought that Godzilla would open over $70M+ based on tracking. I figured it would be around $80M, at least. The lizard leaped past all expectations. It will be interesting to see what next weekend brings for the lizard when the next X-Menenters the marketplace. This weekend’s other opener, Disney’s Million Dollar Arm, is still on track to gross a three-day cume of $10.58M. More to come when more reliable numbers roll in. Stay tuned and will update again early in the A.M.

• Like 3

The only thing keeping this movie from being an all time classic are the mostly flat characters. Even keeping everything else the same, Elizabeth Olsen and ATJ switching roles would've made it more interesting. Cranston was a bit goofy.My theater broke out in applause and cheers multiple times. Edwards played them like a fiddle. Just great stuff.Edit: better than MOS, IM3, CAP2, or SKYFALL. Your move, Ed.

ATJ and Olson were both more interesting in their wordless appearance in the CA2 tag.  Cranston went off the deep end a bit but at least his character had a pulse. 

Losing him early on pretty much severed all the human interest out of the movie

The script and Edwards left all the actors floundering and not having anyone to really root for or worry over lessened the stakes.

Still.

The Monsters were awesome and the wanton destruction was fun and well choreographed.

B-

• Like 1

The only other Godzilla movie I've seen (non-spoofed) was G98. I don't really care that I didn't see him for awhile, I thought the buildup to him was fantastic and he owned the show when he showed up. This is like people bitching about TDKR because there's not enough Batman in it.

You need to see Gojira. Greatest monster movie ever and one of the most humanist films you will ever see.

The build-up to Godzilla's appearance in that film is a million times better than in GZ2014. He is a mystery in Gojira, but he causes all kinds of problems right from the get go of the movie just like the shark in Jaws. In GZ2014

he isn't doing jack shit for the first hour of the movie.

That's terrible IMHO.

The destruction of Tokyo in Gojira is absolutely chilling to watch knowing what happened in Japan less than 10 years earlier.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 4

Tele is totally trolling. Godzilla was fun but I couldn't see it being a classic any day of the week.Goddamn it the party is winding down

Lol that is not a shared opinion. Godzilla has it  flaws, but for the masses its one hell of a classic.. And the best godzilla ever seen on screen.. Incredible build up and one hell of a payoff..Thought the ending could have been fleshed out a little more but Im okay with the choice..:)

Godzilla 8.8 out of 10

• Like 2

It's not even that I'm a huge monster movie fan. This was just really well done.

Did you not see me flip out over PACIFIC RIM last year?

mmmhmm.  ;)

• Like 1

I just don't get that statement quite honestly, can't even comprehend it.

He's completely gone after the (brief) Hawaii reveal until the last fight in San Fran. He owned

that, but that was such a brief scene.

It's very simple: I was thoroughly entertained.
  • Like 9

You need to see Gojira. Greatest monster movie ever and one of the most humanist films you will ever see.

The build-up to Godzilla's appearance in that film is a million times better than in GZ2014. He is a mystery in Gojira, but he causes all kinds of problems right from the get go of the movie just like the shark in Jaws. In GZ2014

he isn't doing jack shit for the first hour of the movie. That's terrible IMHO.

The destruction of Tokyo in Gojira is absolutely chilling to watch knowing what happened in Japan less than 10 years earlier.

Iloved the original , but I think 2014 Godzilla is just as awesome.. It would have been nice to see some more horrific moments caused by  the monsters though on the scale of the incredible 1954 debut of the God one :)

Edited by Telemachos

If this Saturday number's correct and it's 92-95 million OW, what are we looking at for Domestic gross?

You'll probably say I'm hating, but realistically a 2.5-2.7x multi is what it will get if WOM is neither awful nor amazing and with that big of an OW+competition. So 230-260, depending on how high the OW gets. Unless it really does have great WOM like some of you think.