baumer

Wknd Estimates: Godzilla - 93.2M

The (formerly) delightful Barrymore/Sandler pairing will probably trick some people into thinking Blended is worth giving a go. Looks absolutely horrid though.

It is apparently not bad.

Isn't Forbes the one that said Up would bomb because kids aren't interested in old people? :lol:

Forbes is a place where pretentious writers are hired who have no idea about the subject they are talking about.  They only hire writers who sound like they know what they are talking about.

• Like 2

It is apparently not bad.

Well I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt at first because 50 First Dates is easily the most charming Sandler film to me (and Wedding Singer isn't bad either), but then the marketing kicked in and made it look like another Jack and Jill/That's My Boy/Grown Ups atrocity. So I'll have to see it to believe it isn't.

• Like 1

I just noticed Godzilla's cinematographer was Seamus McGarvey, the guy who did the Avengers cinematography. Clearly he was being held back by Whedon. Hopefully they do a much better job on TA2's cinematography.

Well regardless of who is doing it, Whedon needs to step his game in that regard. TA1 had a boring visual style even though the story and characters were fun.

There were plenty of scenes in Avengers that looked fine.  But with a lot of scenes on the helicarrier, did you want it to look like an episode of CSI?  

Also, the huge epic battle in New York was in broad daylight as well.  Did you want something different there?  I mean Pacific Rim looked cinematic as hell and had great cinematography, but everyone complained that it was always at night.  

Whedon is first and foremost a writer.  The guy has been writing for more than 20 years and it shows in his scripts.  He can always become a better visual director(look at the difference between MI3 and Star Trek to see how Abrams got better).  I know I'm talking out of my ass, but there are tons of directors that can make movies look fantastic.  Not all of them know how to write even halfway decent.  

I'll take a flat looking Avengers over a gorgeous Godzilla every day of the week.